main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Besides Natalie, who do you think would've played a good Padmé?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Emperor_Dantius, Aug 8, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shelley

Shelley Jedi Youngling star 5

Sep 9, 2001
    Rose Byrne. She's a better actress than Natalie and has a warmth and gentleness to her that Natalie almost completely lacks.

2. Happy Ninja

Happy Ninja Jedi Knight star 6

Mar 20, 2000
    I think it would have to be a British actress. One of the things that annoyed me a little was how Natalie Portman has that Long Island Valley Girl going. It was a little off-putting.

Kate Winslet? I don't know...Probably a little too old for the role...But I wouldn't have said Keira Knightly. I don't think she is that good as an actress, and well, she was a handmaiden who played the Queen, and I didn't particularilly like her in that role.

3. ProphesiedChosenOne1

ProphesiedChosenOne1 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 21, 2005
    I posted this thread the other day and it got locked. Well Keira Knightly. She is probably hotter than Natalie by just a little bit. Don't care if they can't act. As long as she is hot. I mean it is Star Wars, lets forget about the acting, it really isn't that bad.

4. JANGOANTILLES

JANGOANTILLES Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 18, 2005
    Jenna Malone is a great young actress. I thing she would have been better.

5. Shelley

Shelley Jedi Youngling star 5

Sep 9, 2001
    Yes, and she interacted well with Hayden in "Life as a House." She's a much better actress than Natalie, who I think is horribly overrated.

Jena is not what I'd call beautiful, though she is pretty. However, that's not a big problem; Carrie Fisher wasn't all that beautiful either.

6. QuiGonHrafn

QuiGonHrafn Jedi Grand Master star 3

May 25, 2002
    The only person I can think of is Anna Paquin. She is a similar kind of actress and could have played Padmé. Keira is a totally different kind of actress and Sabé's character is totally different charcter from Padmé. She was a good Sabé but would not have made a good Padmé. She is too different and I am of the opinion Natalie plays Padmé the way she does because that is Lucas' vision of Padmé (and I think she does a splendid job). And the only actress I can think of playing Padmé in a similar fashion is Paquin. She is a brilliant actress and even looks like Natalie.

7. JANGOANTILLES

JANGOANTILLES Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 18, 2005
    she interacted well with Hayden in "Life as a House."

oh yeah forgot about that movie. must've been channeling it subconciously.

8. imperial_dork

imperial_dork Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 11, 2003
    Well, when it comes to SW, I'd prefer unknown actors for the larger roles (Ewan being a huge exception). So, while I don't have a particular name in mind, I would've preferred someone who is actually older than Hayden, since Padme is 5 years older than Anakin. After TPM, I never got that impression.

9. Obi-Zahn Kenobi

Obi-Zahn Kenobi Force Ghost star 7

Aug 23, 1999
    "Kate Winslet is horrible for this role because she's a woman, and women are bad actors.

Scary thing is that I agree with the second clause of this sentence. Women usually make better actresses than actors. :p

And yeah, I really wish Lucas had hired someone else to play Padmé. I don't know who, but I wish he had.

10. Jedi76

Jedi76 Jedi Master star 3

Mar 28, 2002
    Kate Beckinsale if she had short hair like she had in underworld. I am happy with Natile though

11. ROTS_Obi1

ROTS_Obi1 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 16, 2005
    Emmy Rossum. She is only 18 but she's great. She starred in such films as, The Day After Tomorrow, and the Phantom of the Opera, and will also start in the remake of the Poseidon adventure.

12. TomPiltoff

TomPiltoff Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 7, 2005
    Actor is a genderless title, one that many women prefer to 'actress'.

13. CaptainBinaca

CaptainBinaca Jedi Master star 3

Jul 15, 2005
    OK I promise I'll be good this time and speak exclusively on acting prowess alone. How about Brittany Murphy? She's shown some acting chops the past few years, she can play young with some makeup (for TPM) and for the latter films she does look the required 5 or 6 years older than Hayden. She has a more expressive face than Natalie and she's a bit younger than my first choice, Kate Winslet, my lovely talented wonderful Kate Winslet, so she can believably do those TPM "Padme-in-disguise" scenes.

14. Eddie

Eddie Jedi Master star 3

Jan 16, 2001
    There were rumours of Winnona Ryder in the 90s.

15. STUBRIS

STUBRIS Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 11, 2001
    Keira Knightly is too cold for the role (even more so than Natalie!), and can you imagine Kate Winslet & "Lil' Ani" together? (shudders!).Anna Paquin is the real alternative, less ridiculously beautiful than Nat, but a little warmer.

16. Darth_Pazuzu

Darth_Pazuzu Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 3, 2005
    Just off the top of my head, I'm thinking Jennifer Connelly...

17. -maynard-

-maynard- Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 1, 2005
    i like the way winslet looks, but im not sure how that little white outfit would work [face_worried]

18. Darth_Joshy

Darth_Joshy Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 29, 2005
    If you're a guy, and not gay, why would you do you wanna kiss Anakin? LOL

OK! As for the Kate Winslet thing, no way she could have played Padme. Kate would have to have some sort of resemblance to Carrie Fisher in order to provide some sort of Mother-Daughter relationship.

Also, put Kate next to Hayden, Kate obivously looks WAY OLDER than him.

Also, Kate is red headed...and she has some kind of off color eye, as does Hayden, so where the hell would Leia end up getting brown eyes from?

Natalite Portman was clearly the best choice.

19. MystikalMaceWindu

MystikalMaceWindu Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 18, 2005
    Sure, guys are concerned with looks, but look how women tear each other apart, in jealous rages and underhanded betrayals of even their own friends. Look how they snottily criticize how other women dress, look how they are jealous of other women, even their own friends. Sure, guys can be jealous, but by and large, it's women who don't like when things are going good for their female friends. I think women are far more concerned with looks than men are. Women can be very very catty.
    I personally like my women curvy, a tad chunky. I can't stand that skinny, anorexic, bulimic look. But no, I don't like fat women.
    Yes, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and I do think Kate Winslet is attractive, but she's not right for the role of Padme. I do think Padme should be skinnier.
    And I don't think that Natalie Portman was right for the role.
    I would choose a woman who has chemistry with Hayden Christensen. Their love is an important part of the movie, and the movie suffers because of the poor casting.

20. mjerome3

mjerome3 Jedi Knight star 6

May 11, 2000
    I liked the character of Padme, and I also like Natalie Portman playing the character. But I always thought that Padme should have been maybe ten years older than Anakin. I think Rachel Weiz should have played Padme if Natalie didn't.

21. Sarg_Kulo

Sarg_Kulo Jedi Master star 4

May 18, 2004
    Clint Eastward would have been perfect for the part ;)

22. Lyvia

Lyvia Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 2, 2005
    Im a woman but I agree Kate Winslet isnt the right body for Padme. Padme has to wear tight clothes and half shirts Kate couldnt wear that. I think Kate Beckinsale(sp) would be good, she was great in Underworld and its not like SW is Shakespeare.

23. darthvader88

darthvader88 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 29, 2005
    Jennifer Lopez would be a good choice.[face_thinking]

24. Psycho_Handmaiden

Psycho_Handmaiden Jedi Youngling

Sep 1, 2005
    Arrogant self promoting opinion: I dunno...I think I would have been good for the part if I had a chance to audition What I look like

But as for anyone else...hmmmm....I think Emmy Rossum would have been good for it. Makeup can make anyone look older...Or Anna Paquin....She looks perfect for it.

25. Master_Jedi_Singh

Master_Jedi_Singh Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 13, 2005
    I say Angelina Jolie because she is a pretty decent actress and I think she looks a lot like carrie fisher and she is a slight better actress than portman. Portman I thought was good in TPM terrible in ATOC and decent in ROTS she got better as it went on.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.