main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Besides the Con, what else do you plan to do in LA? (Fun thread)

Discussion in 'Star Wars Celebrations' started by Captain_Typho, Mar 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mrsge

mrsge Jedi Youngling

Aug 12, 2005
    For those of you who live out there, are Leno tickets hard to get?

2. ValedaKor

ValedaKor Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 25, 2000
    Depends on the guest(s). Right after LOTR Return of the King came out, I waited with a friend from about 12 N to see Elijah Wood. (They usher you in around 3:30 PM to see the actual show.) We were third in line. The musical guest that night was Maroon 5, and it was apparent as soon as they came on that that's who all the girls in the audience had come to see :).

You can write in for tickets (and if you're thinking of that do it right now), but easiest is to go down to the box office the day of the show, get your tickets (they open at 8) and then come back in the early afternoon to line up. You can get two tickets per person. The minimum age is 16, so don't plan on bringing your young kids. Oh, and it's only Monday through Friday.

3. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    Forget McDonalds. Go to In N Out and get a Double Double. =P~

4. Lowbacca_1977

Lowbacca_1977 Chosen One star 7

Jun 28, 2006
    What she said

Because I've seen it in here already... anyone that wants to go to Griffith Observatory, check out our site (www.griffithobservatory.org) and make a reservation so that you can get up there. You NEED those reservations. Plus side is you can come up from Hollywood quite easily.

5. morpheus1977

morpheus1977 Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 4, 2005
    you forgot to mention getting that Double Double Animal style...

6. dizfactor

dizfactor Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 12, 2002
    Meh. I'm not terribly into the Animal Style burgers. I like the Animal Style fries, but usually I just order a 3-by-3 (ketchup & mustard only), fries well-done, and a drink.

In any case, visitors need to familiarize themselves with the secret menu.

Damn, now I want In-N-Out...

7. Moff_D

Moff_D Jedi Master star 5

Aug 3, 2002
    Just got some tickets for Wicked. :D
    That should be a fun non-SW evening.

8. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002
    I want one of these!!

[image=http://shop.in-n-out.com/innout/assets/product_images/PAAAAAABKLCOJNEE.jpg]

9. e-j

e-j Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 7, 2006
    I'd never heard of In-N-Out before, but now I'm going to go. All I was planning was to eat something at the home of McDonald's (despite not particularly liking McDonald's, or as we call it here, Macca's), pancakes at the IHOP and something at TGI Fridays (I think that's what it's called - it's similar to that restaurant Jennifer Aniston works at in Office Space, I think?). Oh, and I heard California Pizza Kitchen is nice.

10. Lowbacca_1977

Jun 28, 2006
    e-j, I can tell just by you calling it Macca's, you have to go to an Outback Steakhouse. It will give you so many stories of how totally off Americans are on Australian slang and stuff.

11. e-j

Nov 7, 2006
    Outback Steakhouse, that's right, I also wanted to check that out!

(Reminds me of how the Simpsons ate at America Town when they visited Japan.)

12. Lowbacca_1977

Jun 28, 2006
    oh, its worse

if it doesn't already show, one of my pasttimes has been taking Aussies to Outback. Its hilarious. Especially as you will not understand parts of the menu.

13. woppo

woppo Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 30, 2004
    Yes all us Aussies do is eat deep fried onion

14. Lowbacca_1977

Jun 28, 2006
    i'm more fond of the use of australian slang in painful ways.

I recall their old menu used to use 'reckon' as its own sentence

15. woppo

woppo Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 30, 2004
    Ya rekon?

16. Lowbacca_1977

Jun 28, 2006
    more of the fashion of:
    "Something something description of steak here. RECKON!"

17. Grimby

Grimby Technical Consultant & Former Head Admin star 7 Staff Member Administrator

Apr 22, 2000
    Man, I can't wait to hit up an In-N-Out again. I haven't been to once since I was a little kid but it was the best damn fast food burger place. Period.

18. rizzo3232

rizzo3232 Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 17, 2005
    Hey everyone thought I would help out if people need things to do during the night. Click on night life and check it out. I think this will help everyone out.
    http://cityguide.aol.com/losangeles/best/?sem=1&ncid=AOLACG00170000000006
    Some nice hot spots and things to do @ NIGHT

19. ksherkid

ksherkid Jedi Youngling

Apr 18, 2007
    Here's some info from a "local"..

1. Most of the hotels are within 10-15 minutes of LA's Garment District--which includes the fabric district. For you costumer's--this is a do not miss!! You will find things you can't find anywhere else!

2. If you are planning to go to a TV show taping----request your tickets in advance and plan on an all day affair. If you have a "reserve time"--show up early. They always issue more tickets than seats and it's first come-first seated. Also--if your plans are to go to "the Price is right", show up EARLY morning and be ready show them why YOU should be in the audience! Be loony, crazy, jump up and down, scream--whatever it takes! It took one of my friends 5 trys to get on the show--so don't be disappointed if you don't make it in.

3. If you are planning to walk around the streets of Hollywood, downtown, etc. LEAVE YOUR BACKPACKS, SHOULDER BAGS AND THE LIKE AT THE HOTEL!! Keep your traveler's checks, atm card, etc close to your body and well hidden. And DO NOT WEAR YOUR CONVENTION BADGE! Do your best not to look like a tourist. The homeless in the area are experts at spoting a tourist target and your valubles will be gone before you know it!

4. The El Capitan is THE PLACE to see any Disney Film, because Disney owns the theatre, so there is always a floor show before the film!

5. If you are planning a Disneyland Excursion--Find the Disney Outlet on Harbor Blvd. outside the park You can get park souveniers for about half the price! Also, plan your dinner at the Disneyland Hotel (get there via the Monorail and get a hand stamp to return) You can get sit -down service at 5 different restaraunts, and alcohol--can't get that in the park!

CIV is gonna ROCK!

20. e-j

Nov 7, 2006
    I have a very kind friend in Vegas who's sent away for tickets to the Tonight Show for me. Hopefully I'll get in! I just didn't want to chance lining up on the day of the show and missing out.

My logic is that if I'd consider it safe here, it'll probably be safe in LA. For example, I'm not going to worry about walking around with a shoulder bag. If it's close to my body and zipped up, chances are it'll be safe. (Worked fine in Europe, too.) But I wouldn't catch a train here at 11pm, so I won't be doing that in LA either.

21. rizzo3232

rizzo3232 Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 17, 2005
    Just have you sabers really. And then you got yourself covered.
    La is not that bad as everyone is making out to be. Every downtown area is alittle dirty. But when you are going to have as many people as we are going to have, I think everyone will be ok

22. ValedaKor

ValedaKor Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 25, 2000
    In case you're in town by May 23 (Wednesday), and you're not going to Disneyland or the Movie Marathon (besides I think there are some architectural buffs on the board), I have a "one of a kind" evening for you:

L.A. Conservancy Movie Evening

They are showing North by Northwest, the classic Hitchcock/Cary Grant thriller, in the beautiful and historic Orpheum Theater, a real movie palace which was completely renovated in 2001:

[image=http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b52/ValedaKor/orpheum_web.gif]

It's just an amazing place, and this is going to be a fun evening. Tickets are $18.00, pricey, yes, but this is for a good cause :).

23. dartholy

dartholy Jedi Youngling

Mar 29, 2004
    Mon 21st: flying in, arrive early evening.
    Tues 22nd: No definate plans, might go to Disney and maybee Walk of Fame in evening.
    Wed 23rd: Universal Vip Experience
    Thurs 24th-Sun 27th CIV
    Mon 28th: Fly home morning

24. HardwareStoreJedi

HardwareStoreJedi Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 10, 2006
    For all of you anticipating going to Universal Studios...take it from a local, you will NOT get an authentic experience of what a Hollywood movie set is like. Try the Warner Bros Studio Tour instead.

http://www2.warnerbros.com/vipstudiotour/

This is going to be a very hectic summer for the studios, because the Producers Guild and the Writers Guild of America (WGA) are growling and hissing at each other threatening a lockout on the Producers' side and a strike on the WGA side. The TV networks, the cable networks and the studios are all trying to "stockpile" content as fast as they can. So you will be treated to a lot of action if you take the WB tour.

There is also a Sony Pictures Studio Tour, but Sony did so much violence to the historic MGM lot that I don't have the heart to see it as it is now. However, they tape Jeopardy and Wheel of Fortune there.

25. SWCostumer

SWCostumer Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 31, 2005
    HardwarestoreJedi: I wholeheartedly agree with you. Only go to Universal if you want to spend your day at a theme park. I have taken the Warner Bros. tour twice. The first time was before they slightly changed the tour and added their museum and a larger golfcart/tram. That first visit, they could only take 6 people in the cart at a time so they left us standing alone on the backlot. We actually went onto the sets of a number of shows and into the ADR studios while a movie was being scored (we had to be totally quiet as we were in the booth where they were working). It is slightly over 2 hours long and somewhat pricey, but it is the best way to truly see how movies/TV shows are made.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.