main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Besides Yoda, who is the greatest jedi of all time?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Freeze_over, Dec 23, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EmilieDarklighter

EmilieDarklighter Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 19, 2002
    Luke Skywalker. Always was, always is, always will be. End of story.

2. EmilieDarklighter

Jan 19, 2002
    May I point out that Luke whined in *one* movie, and it branded him throughout the rest of the movies and the EU? That's not very fair...

Luke resurrected the Jedi Order. I think that's more than squat.

3. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    Luke resurrecting the Jedi Order wouldn't have been possible if it weren't for Anakin. Hence, Anakin is greater.

4. EmilieDarklighter

Jan 19, 2002
    Anakin destroyed millions of Jedi, but he did balance the Force-he lowered the number of Jedi to the number of Sith. As a product of Anakin's failings, the Jedi were less arrogant.

Luke faced the Emperor and his father, helping to redeem the Chosen One after he had completed his purpose. Student by student, Luke resurrected the Jedi from one man to a thriving order.

It's really a standstill. For many, the choice is just a matter of opinion, and of preference. I prefer Luke.

If you want to debate with me, fine. Your best bet would be to provide reasons defending your own side, not attacking your opponent. It makes you look like you have no real basis for your case.

whostheBossk likes this.
  5. Obi-Zon_Genobi

Obi-Zon_Genobi Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 28, 2002
    Luke Skywalker is the greatest Jedi ever besides Yoda in my opinion. Anakin Skywalker is the second.

6. ST-TPM-ASF-TNE

ST-TPM-ASF-TNE Moderator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 27, 2001
    (1) Obi-Wan Kenobi
    (2) Luke Skywalker
    (3) Yoda
    (4) Mace Windu
    (5) Qui-Gon Jinn
    (6) Anakin Skywalker
    (7) Count Dooku
    (8) Ki-Adi Mundi

:cool:

whostheBossk likes this.
  7. shilowishbringer

shilowishbringer Jedi Youngling

Nov 17, 2002
    Ulic-Quel Drama,Naome Sunrider,Vima Sunrider,
    Luke Skywalker,Vader,

8. Delance

Delance Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 15, 2002
    Best force users in combat, as of ROTJ
    1) Darth Vader/Anakin Skywalker
    2) The Emperor
    3) Luke Skywalker
    4) Yoda
    5) Mace Windu
    6) Count Dooku
    7) Obi-Wan Kenobi
    8) Darth Maul
    9) Qui-Gon
    10) Kit Fisto

Now, wait... Vader loses 3 times. Scratch that.

9. Jericho

Jericho Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 4, 2002

Obi-Wan gets my vote. Without him, Anakin would have not been trained, nor would have Luke.

10. darkOmegazer0

darkOmegazer0 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 18, 2002
    My force, Anakin is the worst(killed mad people). Ooh yippie he killed Sidious, the rebels were about to do that anyway. Like everyone said, Luke was brave enough to face his father and the emperor, he overcame the darkside and all that good sith. Anakin whined alot more than Luke and probubly will whine more. Luke was told he's the only hope for the galaxy, finds out his father is an evil sith lord and witnessed the death of the only 2 jedi left. Anakin wants to get with a really hot chick and his mommy died. I'm sure more will come but this is all we know. Obi-Wan & Qui-Gon are the coolest jedi but Luke is the greatest.

11. ForceHeretic

ForceHeretic Jedi Youngling star 4

Dec 8, 2002
    For most powerful Jedi, who really knows, I'd say likely Luke because if Vader had more potential in the force than anyone else in the Jedi's history, and he Palpatine feared his offspring, then they would have to be more powerful.

But if u mean greatest as in who accomplished the most, or simply had the most impact, thats a bit more debatable.(Warning, EU references ahead)

Of course Luke would still be at least in the top 2 or 3. One could argue that of course Yoda was the greatest, he was the senior member of the jedi council for hundreds of years I assume. And then of course there is Jedi like Ulic Qel-Droma, who while he did stumble into the dark side, came back again and saved the galaxy from Exar Kun.

And who's to say the one who accomplished the most has to have been a light jedi?
    Exar Kun would be near the top, he re-created the Sith empire and brought the Republic to it's knees but was killed when the Republic learned the location of his hidden HQ. Marka Ragnos has been said to have been insanely powerful, Naga Sadow was the one who re-linked the Sith and Jedi, although it did end with the destruction of the Sith Empire.

Well thats the basics and sry for so much EU references, but I think its the only fair way to decide something like this.

12. PrincessLaura

PrincessLaura Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 26, 1999
    hey darth boba : what kind of logic is that? - if it wasn´t for vader, luke could have never established a new jedi order, hence Vader is more powerful...?
    I could also say: qui-Gon found anakin, without him he could have never learned the ways of the force...hence qui-gon is the most powerful jedi! - or even: without the help of han solo luke would have been blasted in thousand pieces when attacking the 1st deathstar and could have never established a new jedi order...hence han solo is the most powerful jedi!!

???

???

???

13. Lars_Muul

Lars_Muul Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 2, 2000
    Luke Skywalker - the greatest Jedi
    Darth Sidious - the greatest Sith

14. han_solo_321

han_solo_321 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 14, 2002
    Luke is the 2nd best

15. -Ace-

-Ace- Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 21, 2002
    If by greatest you mean done the most good, then it would have to be Luke Skywalker.

If you mean coolest or most powerful, than either Mace Windu or Anakin Skywalker.

16. son-of-skywalker13

son-of-skywalker13 Jedi Grand Master star 2

May 27, 2002
    i love seeing luke get all this love
    everyone says hes a whiner yet anakin whines alot more than luke in AOTC and TPM

Luke did what anakin could not ... resist the dark side and not only that, luke easily took on vader in ROTJ

LUKE RULES

17. ForceHeretic

ForceHeretic Jedi Youngling star 4

Dec 8, 2002
    Luke didn't easily take on Vader in ROTJ, he could only beat him when he gave in to his anger, so when he was resisting the dark-side Vader was as good or better

And in ESB Vader doesn't even try against Luke and ownz him. Ownz with a Z

18. -Ace-

Jan 21, 2002
    Vader didn't have ownage of Luke! If it weren't that fancy armor of Vader's, Luke would have sliced Vader's shoulders off. And lets not forget that Luke through Vader back twice before that. And lets not forget the time Luke almost lured Vader into that carbonite-freezing pit.

Luk3'5 g0t m@d 5ki115!!!!!11!!1

:)

19. Lars_Muul

Oct 2, 2000
    If it wasn´t for Luke´s deeds in the Galactic Civil War, the Galaxy would still be ruled by the Sith.

20. darth-skycrawler

darth-skycrawler Jedi Master star 2

Aug 7, 2001
    I don't see why people think that Luke was such a great Jedi. Luke was very close to turning to the darkside and was not wearing black in ROTJ for no reason. Luke really does not in my opinion do anything special. He blows up the death star a thing that any jedi could have done and refuses to turn to the darkside which Obi Wan did in AOTC. People need to understand that things in for Luke were far easier and thus him not turning does not make him a stronger man but a luckier man.

Do you think that Luke would have been able to resist the darkside if his Leia had been killed (I personally feel Padme will die causing Anakin to turn, the person trying to turn him was not a cripple and part machine, but a charismatic leader and finally he was being manipulated from the age of ten by a sith lord.

As for Luke's force powers they really are no very impressive. Palpatine defeats him with such ease it is laughable. Papatine is also obviously not trying against him and uses no where near his full power ( which is obvious since Luke is never hit with so much power that his skeleton becomes visible).

The fact that he beat Dart Vader also means little since Vader was so conflicted. Watch the ROTJ duel and there are at least three times where Luke swings wildly leaving himself open for Vader to stab him. Vader is also very conflicted and not using the force very well. An example of this is when Luke kicks him down the stairs. Vader attempts to do a back flip but slips. This to me shows that Vader was so conflicted that he could not even use the force to do a simple back flip. Luke was just a weapon used to turn Anakin back to the lightside. He is no way near the greatest jedi of all time.

My choic would have to be Obi Wan, though I feel that Vader is the most powerful. Obi Wan is the most intelligent of the Jedi manages to to escape death many times against superior forces. In TPM he manages to defeat Maul. In AOTC he manages to escape from Fetts Slave 1 and in episode 3 he will defeat ANakin somone, who is most likely superior to him in skill. Obi Wan also i predict will be the one who will come up with the plan to bring Anakin back to the lightside. Obi Wan finally shows what a great Jedi he is by sacrificing his life so that the force can be balanced. He also takes the blame for actions that were not his fault and has to live with the pain but yet does not become bitter and twisted man. Obi Wan is thus in my opnion a greater jedi than even Yoda.

21. Lars_Muul

Oct 2, 2000
    Of course any Jedi could´ve done the same things as Luke if they were in the same situation, but they weren´t.
    Ki-Adi-Mundi could´ve done the same things as Obi-Wan if he was in his situation, but he wasn´t.

It´s not the potential in itself that makes a Jedi great, it´s what he/she does with that potential.

22. darth-skycrawler

darth-skycrawler Jedi Master star 2

Aug 7, 2001
    Actually I don't think that any Jedi would have done what Obi Wan did if he was in the same situation. If this was true then every jedi would have survived the battle of Geonosis. Luke was the only hope because h was Anakin's son and not due to any other talent of his own. Do you think that Yoda would expect Luke to fight the emperor with the training hehad. The emperor dispatched Luke with embarrasing ease. Iam pretty sure that Yoda and Kenobi new this. Luke was a pawn who was used to turn Anakin back. All he had to do was stay o th straight and narrow which many other jedi had done.

I believe and Lucas has said that Obi Wan was waiting for Luke to redeem his father that if Luke is sent to Vader as a jedi there are three possibilities. The first is that Vader kills Luke, this is unlikely since Vader loves his family. The second is Luke turn's to the darkside and helps a sith kill the other. That is why it was imperative that he did not turn. The final option is that Vader must kill Palpatine to save Luke. Obi Wan being the intelligent guy that he is has a hunch that vader will not allow his son to die so would therefore try and turn him as will palpatine. Therefore if Luke does not turn and vader can not kill him then Palpatine will have to do it. Vader would then have to watch his son die or turn back.

This is the way I conclude that Lucas is heading and if this is the case Luke really is nothing special but a as I said before a pawn. Now if this is the case then obi Wanwas the one who came up with this theory adding to his brilliance. I doubt that any other Jedi would have been able to come up with such a plan.

23. Lars_Muul

Oct 2, 2000
    Well, Luke could´ve chosen not to face Vader ever again....

24. Dancing_Jansons

Dancing_Jansons Jedi Master star 3

Oct 1, 2002
    Darth-Skycrawler: Luke was a pawn who was used to turn Anakin back.

That's nice revisionist stuff, but Luke was being used as a weapon to destroy Vader. Every piece of dialogue in the movies supports this. Nowhere do Obi-wan or Yoda give the impression that they want Vader to come back to the Light. They're training Luke to take him out. In fact, they both think that once someone falls to the Dark side they CAN'T be brought back, and both say this!

Maybe they thought it would be easier for Luke to kill Vader because Vader knew it was his son and would, therefore, be conflicted. But clearly, they thought Luke would have to destroy Vader.

Turning Vader back to "the good side" was all Luke's idea.

25. -Ace-

Jan 21, 2002
    Luke Skywalker was not a weapon.

Where do you guys get this stuff. Obi-Wan doesn't show Luke how to duel, he teaches him about the force. On Dagobah Yoda doesn't teach Luke lightsaber skills, even though Yoda is one of the best duelists in the order. Yoda tells Luke to use the force for knowledge and defense never for the attack. Since when do you want a weapon to always be on defense. And besides I wouldn't think the 2 jedi left, who were both very wise, would want the only survivor of their order to be some mindless weapon.

:)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.