main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Bespin evacuation

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by TigloCarbon, Dec 23, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TigloCarbon

TigloCarbon Jedi Youngling

Jan 8, 2003
    (Sorry if discussed previously) When Lando gets on the loudspeaker and says, "The Empire has takes control of the city. I advise everyone to leave before more Imperial troops arrive," where were they supposed to go? In light of what was required to escape orbiting blockades on Hoth and Naboo, this alarm seems futile.

2. VADERISM_IS_TRUTH

VADERISM_IS_TRUTH Jedi Youngling

Dec 23, 2004
    yes, i agree. but one could argue that lando was acting out his duty to inform that occupants of Bespin out of sheer authority.

3. generallee5

generallee5 Jedi Youngling star 3

May 27, 2003
    Hmmm. I don't know. Agreed it wouldn't be smart to tell them to leave unless they expected the cloud cars to put up some sort of fight to let them get away.

4. Emperor1121

Emperor1121 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 26, 2004
    They didn't leave. That's why there are so many of them in the end celebration

5. BaronFel88

BaronFel88 Jedi Knight star 7

Jan 25, 2004
    When Vader walks to his shuttle, you can see a ship taking off on the background. I don't think it's the Falcon.

And Lando probably thought people would just take transport ships out to other cities on the planet (if they could evade the TIEs).

6. Darth_Digital

Darth_Digital Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 29, 2001
    It was a warning to the 'customers that wanted to avoid drawing attention to themselves'

Rembmer, Cloud City was an ILLEGAL mining operation, not related in anyway to the Mining Guild.

Ergo, the Empire didn't control. get their cut, or have any way of knowing what Rebel, Pirate, or Smuggler groups were getting their hands on Tabina gas to be used for propulsion and weapons.

When Lando knew that Vader's 'promise' to not press charges or detain the population was broken, Lando went public with everyone that knew the Empire was here.

"Attention, Attention, this is your former leader speaking. The Evil Empire has...surprise; broke their word and are gonna lock this place down. If you value your privacy, freedom and very life, I suggest you all make for whatever transports that can carry you."

Ergo, the panic in the streets as Lando and comapny fled.

7. Darth-Seldon

Darth-Seldon Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 17, 2003
    I think he was simply notifying them all so they could run to their homes and try to remain safe.

-Seldon

8. loki41872

loki41872 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 13, 2002
    At Hoth and Naboo there were many ships in the blockade. At bespin there was only the Executor. Lando said "I advise everyone to leave before MORE Imperial troops arrive". He was telling them to get away before more Imperial ships arrived and REALLY blockaded the planet. With only on ship in orbit it would've been easier for some to escape.

9. CBright7831

CBright7831 Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 23, 2004
    People must not have gave a **** because they were there celebrating when the Empire collapsed.

10. Darth_Digital

Oct 29, 2001
    Well by the time of Ep6, Bespin is pretty much an occupied city.

Sure, many escaped, but others that couldn't were forced to live under Imperial rule.

Fortunately it was short lived as the Emperor's death was wide spread.

Of course if you go by EU, Bespin was still firmly under Imperial control 5 years later under orders from Grand Admiral Thrawn.

11. EH_Pilot

EH_Pilot Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 12, 2003
    What do you mean 'forced' to live under Imperial rule? They're all Imperials.

Every person in the movie is an Imperial. They're all part of the Empire.

Just some are traitors.

12. generallee5

May 27, 2003
    Cloud City was not part of the Empire. It was an illegal operation, and as Darth_Digital said not part of the Mining Guild. By EU, it became an Imperial garrisson.

13. EH_Pilot

EH_Pilot Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 12, 2003
    It's an independent operation, not illegal. Nothing that big on such a resource rich planet would have lasted so long if it were illegal.

It's just a big tibanna harvester anyway.

14. Darth_Digital

Oct 29, 2001
    As Lando said; (words to the effect)

"Our operation is SMALL enough to go unnoticed, which is adventageous since our CUSTOMERS, are anxious to avoid drawing attention to themselves."

It was an ILLEGAL gas station in the back waters of space. Clear from the prying eyes of the Empire, till Boba Fett stumbled across it while following Captain Solo.

15. 4LOM

4LOM Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 9, 2004
    But how hard would it be for the Empire to find out about Cloud City? Han had it in his records on his ship, surely many other fringe types like Han know about it. Plus, if you believe the ESB novel, Yoda identifies Cloud City upon one mention from Luke.

Luke: I saw a city in the clouds...

Yoda: Bespin.

Yoda, who's been on Dagobah for who knows how long, knows about Cloud City.

This implies an awful lot of people know about Cloud City. How could the Empire not know about it, too?

16. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Bib Fortuna Twi'lek Jedi Youngling star 10

Jul 9, 1999
    It's a very large galaxy. A lot of planets can get overlooked. And Bespin's economy didn't have much of an impact on the Empire, so it was beneath their notice.

17. Armchair_General

Armchair_General Jedi Youngling

Nov 21, 2004
    4LOM wrote:
    Luke: I saw a city in the clouds...

Yoda: Bespin.

Yoda, who's been on Dagobah for who knows how long, knows about Cloud City.

Which version is that from?

As I recall it...
    Luke: I saw a city in the clouds.
    Yoda: Friends you have there.

Heck, the only time I can recall Bespin being mantioned by name is when Han & Leah are looking at the star charts.

Cheers.

18. DarthMyBoy

DarthMyBoy Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 29, 2003
    The one you are reffering to in from the Movie. In the ESB novel Yoda says, "Bespin"

19. Sith Magician

Sith Magician Jedi Master star 5

Sep 14, 1999
    I always thought that, as well as warning certain ppl with a public anouncment, the ensuing panic was good cover for Lando, Leia and Chewie to run through the city streets with cover most of the way.

20. generallee5

May 27, 2003
    Can't say I've thought of it that way before. It could be that way.

21. MyEternalRest

MyEternalRest Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 24, 2002
    I always thought that, as well as warning certain ppl with a public anouncment, the ensuing panic was good cover for Lando, Leia and Chewie to run through the city streets with cover most of the way.

Exactly, the Imperials would have their hands full keeping the citizens under control, diverting their attention from Lando and company.

22. Master_Starwalker

Master_Starwalker Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2003
    Yeah it would provide cover for Leia, Lando, and Chewie and also give his customers a chance to escape.

23. CieSharp

CieSharp Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 18, 2002
    If not for the announcement, no appearance by Ice Cream Maker Guy. That would have been bogus.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.