main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Best and Worst Ending to a SW Movie

Discussion in 'Star Wars Community' started by furious138, Oct 30, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. furious138

furious138 Jedi Youngling

Jul 13, 2002
    I have no idea if this topic has been brought up and my internet connection is entirely too slow to look for it so here goes...

What is everyone's favorite ending to a Star Wars movie and which ending do they hate? Right now I really like the end of Clones, not the wedding mind you, but the ominous scene of the Clone Troopers getting onto their troop ships, but then again I like the end of Empire because of the seemingly helplessness to the situation. Yeah, it's not a definite decision but now that I think about it who cares, I like them both.

Now for the worst. Another indecisive move on my part, really dislike ROTJ ending because of the teddy-bears but Phantom for some reason really grates on my nerves. Maybe it's the Gungans, or the fireworks I don't know but I usually turn it off right after Obi whacks out Darth Maul.

Just wondering.

2. Luke_Skywalker_12

Luke_Skywalker_12 Jedi Knight star 5

Sep 11, 2002
    I kind of did like the ROTJ ending because we got to see Anakin in the light side and we also got to see Yoda and Obi-Wan.I tought it was pretty funny when the Ewoks used the Stormtroopers helmets to use them as drums. It was a good ending to the movie.

The one that I don't like, I can't say I hate it, Is the AOTC, because I tought the movie was too short, must of been because I really liked the movie. When the Clone Troopers all got in the ship, I tought we were going to see the Clone Wars finish in that movie. I was pretty dissapointed. But know I have to wait 3 years to see how the Clone wars end.

I hope Ep.3's ending is good

3. Tupolov

Tupolov Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 24, 2002
    My favorite ending was ROTJ because of Old Ben and Annie and Yoda in the fire.

The opinion I hold in lowest regards was AOTC merely because I would have liked to know what happened in the clone wars.

4. Lars_Muul

Lars_Muul Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 2, 2000
    The best ending - TPM, because it marks the beginning of a wonderful saga. :)

The worst ending - ROTJ, because it marks the end of a wonderful saga. :(

5. Ret

Ret Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 17, 1999
    Best: ANH

Worst: ESB I guess.

6. SLAVE2

SLAVE2 Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 6, 2000
    Best: AOTC

Least favourite: ESB

I made a poll on this in the Classic trilogy forum, should still be on the first 20 pages. Theres been over 100 votes and AOTC was #1, ROTJ #2, ANH #3 ESB #4 & TPM #5.

7. Bjork

Bjork Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 21, 2002
    My favorite ending personally would have to be The Phantom Menace: I adore the Naboo Celebration music...also Qui-Gon's funeral where Obi-Wan promises Anakin that he will be be a Jedi is a emotional moment for me.

Eh, it's hard to think of a ending that I didn't like...but I'd have to say Empire Strikes Back. It didn't pack as many emotional moments as the other endings did for me.

-Bjork.

8. Lumber-Dead-I

Lumber-Dead-I Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 27, 2002
    My favorite was The Empire Strikes Back and my least favorite ending would have to be ANH, I really don't like how they all smile at Artoo, though all of the Rebels turning at the same time was cool, the smiling seemed too Disney like for myb tastes, is this sentence ever going to end?

All you need is hate!

9. Alybrylla

Alybrylla Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 12, 2002
    My favorite is TPM/AotC (the wedding/wedding kiss [face_love] )/ANH

I don't have a least favorite, I just like those 3 better than the other two. :)

10. DarthAttorney

DarthAttorney Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 8, 2000
    C'mon...the end of ESB was where it's at!
    That bitter-sweet, unfinished non-ending that see's the Rebels on the run again and no better than when they started on Hoth. Luke lost the hand, struggling with the Vader revelation, Han in Carbonite....very grim stuff. :D

Least favourite would probably be TPM, only because it mimiced ANH so closely. But it's a palty complaint, I liked it well enough ;)

11. PlastiqPhantom

PlastiqPhantom Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 26, 2002
    I don't really have a least favorite ending, personally I like them all!! Although my favorite right now is a tie between AotC and ESB. I can't really decide which ending I like more.

12. ST-TPM-ASF-TNE

ST-TPM-ASF-TNE Moderator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 27, 2001
    Best: ROTJ: SE - very uplifting and joyful, and a beautiful way to end the saga in my opinion

Worst: ANH - I enjoy this ending alot, but I just find it to be my least favorite of all the endings

13. darkOmegazer0

darkOmegazer0 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 18, 2002
    Favorite: Tie between Empire Strikes back and Attack of the clones

Least Favorite: The Phantom Menace (Just realized I love when Luke, Han and Leia reunite and give each other hugs and stuff more than seeing a bunch of gungans play instruments)

14. Ariana Lang

Ariana Lang Jedi Youngling star 5

Oct 10, 1999
    Best: TPM -- crucify me if you want, I like the music ;)

Worst: Hmmmm....Yeah, probably ANH

15. dArTh_wenley

dArTh_wenley Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 10, 2001

This might be worth looking at... ;)

> Which episode has the best opening scene(s) ?

IMO< I belive ROTJ had the best ending. I like how it shows all the different locations that have been affecting by Imperial Rule and clebrating the Imperial defeat.

The Ghost Trio is an excellent part, looking all happy and then Anakin comes along and Yoda and Obi-Wan accept him back.

It is a great ending! ;)

16. Jeff 42

Jeff 42 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 14, 1998
    I think I'd have to go with AotC. The whole atmosphere of the Coruscant scenes at the end is so dark and foreboding, and then you have the wedding with the young lovers who are already doomed, and it's all so emotional. The music is so great too, especially when the Imperial March kicks in and then transitions into the swelling love theme. I love it. :D

I think all the endings are great, but the original version of RotJ would definitely rank last, because I don't care for the music. That's one special edition change that I actually liked a lot.

17. DARTH_CHINA

DARTH_CHINA Jedi Master star 5

Dec 31, 2001
    Hmm, can't wee rename this thread to "Which episode has the best closing scene(s)", and make a top 5, like we did with the opening scenes. :p We could compare them! *feels like a child again* :D Yippie! :D

1. AOTC
    2. ROTJ
    3. TPM
    4. ESB
    5. ANH

ANH leads the best opening scene thread, but I think it will lose this one. :)

18. SithLord127

SithLord127 Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 19, 2002
    LukeSkywalker12, you said AOTC was short, that's strange considering it's the longest one of all 5!!!!!

1. Attack of The Clones-The Clonetroopers marching and early Star Destroyers taking off was awesome.
    2. A New Hope-When Luke and Han get their medals of honor, the music and everything just makes you feel good.
    3. Return of The Jedi-Seeing Luke fullfill his destiny, and on the SE you get to see all the planets celebrate.
    4. The Phantom Menace-You get to see alot, Palpatine congratulates Obi-Wan and Padme, Qui-Gon's funeral, Obi-Wan granted the level of Jedi Knight, and finally the celebration.
    5. The Empire Strikes Back-Kinda lame, not much happened after Luke and Vader fought.

19. DarthHtrad

DarthHtrad Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 24, 2002
    The best ending was definitely ROTJ IMO. It is the most uplifting and we see everything come to an end and all the characters smiling and hugging each other. I can't really say I have a least favorite, cuz they're all good. ESB certainly has the most low-key ending. The end of AOTC is great though because with that ending you're finally seeing the PT start to truly blend into the OT.

20. Padawan915

Padawan915 Jedi Master star 6

Oct 1, 2002
    I'll give my list and my reasons.

1. ESB - Very powerful, the music is great and it still carries the most power of all the endings. The rebels are still on the run, Luke just found out the truth and the search for Han begins.
    2. ROTJ - The good guys win and no words are needed in the ending to describe the feelings. Seeing Luke look out at Obi-Wan, Yoda and Anakin always brings a smile to your face.
    3. AOTC - I love the music they play during the ending. The beginning of the Clone Wars and the look on Palpatine's face is great. Also the wedding is pretty bittersweet because we all know what is to come in the forseeable future.
    4. ANH - It's too campy and doesn't fit in well like the rest of the saga's endings. Still better than TPM though, but only barely.
    5. TPM - Follows ANH too closely and the only thing I liked it about were the looks that Padme and Anakin exchanged.

21. Moriarte

Moriarte Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 17, 2001
    The best one for me would have to be:
    TPM, because after all the exposition, the death of Qui-Gon, pronouncement of the Sith's existence, Obi-Wan becoming a Jedi Knight and Anakin starting his path to becoming a Jedi himself, everything is laid out to START! The prologue is over, now let's get on to the nuts and bolts. Though I did like the music as well.

The worst ending for me, I would say weakest, is ESB. Sure it was supposed to be dark and foreboding, but I didn't get a lot of that when watching it. I mean, the music at the very end said to me that everything was going to be ok despite the fact that Luke found out his father is a multi-species murderer and co-subjugator of an entire galaxy, but the visuals and music at the end kinda smoothed it over. Maybe that was the purpose, that there were still things they could do, but...the other endings got to me more, more excited or satisfied.

Ciou-See the Sig

22. foxbatkllr

foxbatkllr Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 27, 2001
    Best- ROTJ SE. It really gives us a sense of closure on the saga. The way it ends, you get the feeling things are gonna be good for the galaxy. This is why I hate post-ROTJ EU because I feel it completely destroys the entire purpose of ROTJ and its ending (i.e. the Emperor coming back, troubles with the New Republic, etc...).

Worst-TPM. Too much like ANH only with Gungans...

23. JediMasterGuff

JediMasterGuff Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 18, 2002
    Best Ending - ROTJ, seeing Anakin in Spirit Form.

Worst - ANH, it was similar to TPM, but in TPM we see Anakin in Jedi robes, which i thought was pretty cool.

24. Luke_Skywalker_12

Luke_Skywalker_12 Jedi Knight star 5

Sep 11, 2002
    I think AOTC was short because I think I really liked it alot. When I like good movies I think they end right away.

25. Mad_Ewok

Mad_Ewok Jedi Master star 3

Apr 26, 2002
    1. ROTJ
    2. AOTC
    3. ANH
    4. ESB
    5. TPM

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.