main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Best and Worst EU Eras?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Jid123Sheeve, Nov 10, 2016.

1. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

So here's something i'd be curious to here the opinions on. What do people say when someone asks them which era of the EU had the best stories and which had the worst. Was the Post ROTJ Era the Golden Age or did it seem a bit too out their and sci-fi, was the era of the Old Republic when the Jedi and Sith were at their prime captivate you, or did you find the lore last luster? Did you think that the era between the films, when you can see the continuing adventures of your on screen buddies continue make you giddy with glee or Nostalgia or would have rather seen something new? I'd like to here your thoughts.

So i'll give a small summary of mine.

For me i'd always prefer the Movie Era (Ep 1- 6) stories myself a lot of the best stuff coming from the Clone War's material between Ep 2-3

The Pre Ep 1 Era i also found enjoyable here and there, TOTJ showing off the ancient Sith Empire defiantly found a lot of fun.

Sadly the Post ROTJ Era is where things fell short, and I know some people are going to kill me considering certain things which i don't wanna get into. But IDK, whenever someone told me the stuff of the post ROTJ era or i looked up stuff on Wookepedia thing felt...IDK...I don't wanna say off, but not to my taste. However like most people I love the Thrawn Trilogy, Dark Empire is a guilty pleasure for me and I did like the first Crimson Empire. I read a Rogue Squadron book here and there though i don't remember much and some of those old comics in the few months after Endor were enjoyable, but the further one got the less and less i enjoyed it.

So yeah those would be my best and worst era's of the EU, if you wanna break this down even further (Dark Time, Clone Wars, NJO, TOTJ Era, etc etc) feel free to

gmiller2233 likes this.
  2. CnlSandersdeKFC

CnlSandersdeKFC Jedi Knight star 2

Aug 22, 2015
    I fell in love with Star Wars thanks to the Old Republic era, and the PT EU. The movies were crap, but the EU in the original multi-media project was amazing. I agree with you, I've always felt post-ROTJ was **** until the Legacy comic series. I don't want that Star Trek bull in my franchise about magical space knights.

3. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

Well i agree with you on the PT EU, it's funny, the worst Movie Era to fans has probably some of the best stories. Irony.

4. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Prequel and Dark Times, especially if the author's name was Luceno

5. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

I hear that

darklordoftech likes this.
  6. Trip

Trip Force Ghost star 4

Dec 7, 2003
    best: new jedi order

worst: post new jedi order

adve, Slater, xezene and 7 others like this.
  7. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

Fascinating. Care to elaborate my friend?

8. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Best-Rebellion era through NJO series era.

Worst-Post NJO book era. Has potential but needs re-worked a lot.

Pre-Republic, Old Republic, PT, Clone Wars, Dark Times and Legacy comic era are all fun but Rebellion through the NJO series is the best stretch in SW imo.

gmiller2233 likes this.
  9. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Jedi Master star 5

Sep 21, 2012
    Best: The Old Republic Era, especially TotJ. KotOR's story was cool but I don't like the technology setting, it should be a lot less advanced than the movie era. Also the overuse of Rakata affected the quality a bit.

Worst: post RotJ ones, it's all about "big threat of the week", Palpatine coming back, tons of Jedi purge survivors, new Jedi Order was built out so easily, the big three still fighting in their 70s and so on...
    It got some awesome stories, but the overall setting and consistency was crap. Without the movies or a settled direction as its backbone, it just went wildly wrong.

Nearly every era has some great works, but that's more depend on the author. Some of them have great skill, but they just favor their own stuff too much and caused problem. Traviss probably was the best example.

Jid123Sheeve likes this.
  10. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

I have a friend reading some of the post NJO books right now, would you care to elaborate on what you thought needed re-working?

Also agreed with the movies thing, I think the farther away you get from the movies the less you have things to ground the storytelling (Though strangely don't have that problem with a lot of the TOTJ Old Repbulic stuff)

11. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    I think that's because the Old Republic Era doesn't have "certain" characters like the big three to stick on, the hero would pass the mantle after the war, the villain would not keep coming back. There are big time gaps between most of the major conflict. So it doesn't get repetitive in short time and gives time to let things happen in a reasonable time gap. Even the Exar Kun War and KOTOR had a nearly 50 years gap, which equals almost the entire post RotJ minus Legacy EU.

The post RotJ EU was influenced by the movie, it wanted to stick and exploit all the popularity from the movie instead of giving a reasonable timeline, so we saw it just stick in one era(around 40-50 years) and on the big three, this might be the biggest problem of that EU era.

Alpha-Red likes this.
  12. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

That's definitely a good point on the situation. Though my thing of the Post ROTJ era is that the early stuff is actually I think pretty decent but later on is where my problems stem.

13. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    Actually the big three already had great achievement in the movies, they defeated the Emperor and destroyed the Death Stars. That should have been the majority of their saga, after that it should be about cleaning the remaining forces of the Empire, maybe serve as a mentor or supporting character in the next major conflict decades later, not to fight "Galactic threat" as the major heroes again and again and again.

Alpha-Red likes this.
  14. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    In Legends:
    - 25000-5000 BBY (i.e. between Dawn of the Jedi and Tales of the Jedi)
    - The period the Knight Errant comics are set (c. 1000 BBY)
    - Dark Times period, the first 2 years after the formation of the Empire in particular

In canon: at the moment, literally everything, except for the Clone Wars and the Rebellion eras. Unless there's focus on brand new characters (like for example, Aphra), I can't see how anything else would be other than filler in those two eras. But even in canon, the first two years into the Dark Times are on the top of my list.

Those are my favorites.

15. SilentGuy66

SilentGuy66 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 1, 2014
    Best: Anything set in the Old Republic, TCW or basically anything set before ANH.

Worst: Anything that happens after ROTJ- yes that's right including heir to the empire!

16. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003

Star Game of Throne Wars! You never had a time to live up to your full potential! (er -- or is that -- kill up to your full potential?)

17. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

Oh fascinating not a fan of the Thrawn trilogy either care to elaborate ?

18. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Plan everything out from the beginning.
    Killiks rise up because they fear Abeloth waking up, instead of attacking for whatever reason or not doing anything until Apocalypse. They didn't know that Abeloth was back until then?
    Have other stories set between the NJO series and DNT, DNT and LOTF, and LOTF and FOTJ.
    Don't just jump from mega-series to mega-series.
    Let the characters breathe.
    A Valin Horn and rest of the Shelter kids YJK series,
    A Ben Skywalker and friends YJK series,
    More Rogue and Wraith Squadron stories
    Jedi Academies popping up in the GA. The Imperial Remnant, Denon, Corellia, Hapes, Chiss Ascendancy, etc.
    Other Force groups being seen in the greater galaxy,
    The Lost Tribe being seen earlier.
    Jacen doesn't fall for Lumiya's plot. And doesn't kill Mara.
    Might still go dark to help unify the Jedi and Sith,
    Jaina doesn't kill him.
    Tahiri doesn't get corrupted
    The Yuuzhan Vong have a presence in the story.
    Might get the Force back at the end of FOTJ.
    The OT generation still has a presence but not saving the day.
    Jaina, Jacen and friends do.
    The dagger of Mortis found earlier.
    Darth Krayt, and other alive Dark Siders are a threat in LOTF.
    After Abeloth is defeated in the real world, the remaining Skywalkers go into the Force and Jaina and Jacen destroy a body, Anakin Solo and Tahiri destroy a body, Luke and Leia destroy a body and then Anakin Skywalker defeats Abeloth for good.

Jid123Sheeve likes this.
  19. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    I still think that's too much to insert in one era. They just can't leave the big three otherwise it would have been much better.

Jid123Sheeve likes this.
  20. Darth Invictus

Darth Invictus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 8, 2016
    Am I the only interested in the (lightly explored) Pre republic era and the unexplored far future 500 ABY onwards?

spicer and Force Smuggler like this.
  21. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Luke trains the next generation of Jedi, checks in on the new Academies from time to time. Luke recovers from the poison.
    Han and Leia go around doing humanitarian work,
    Leia works at becoming a Jedi.
    Han finds a person to take the reins of the Falcon for the future.
    Generational Saga and all that. The Big 3 will still be there to give advice but the EU kids will do the heavy lifting.
    A longer time jump between the NJO series and DNT might be needed. Or several more years between each series.
    For some people it might be too much, but oh well.

22. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    But we didn't get such gap and "passing the torch" moment and that's the problem.

Even NJO should mostly be the younger generation rather than still the big three saving the galaxy.

23. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

Well my whole thing with a lot of the Post ROTJ Era (Post Thrawn Trilogy) is that it lacks a certain....umph, that Star Wars has, that certain lack of fun and adventure. Strangely Old Republic and the Movie Era books seem to capture it. Best example would be KOTOR 1, has a very OT vibe with a lot of new elements in the mix.

24. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    Because it all happened in short time, other than "new menace" the galaxy doesn't get much new stuff.

25. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

I suppose your right. In fact thinking about it, i like more the side stories than the "Main Line" (The Big Three + Kids) i mean i like X-Wing Comics, Jedi Outcast Video Game with Kyle Katarn, and....Well I've heard of those Legacy Comics and they seem kinda cool despite some issues on personal taste.