main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Best and Worst EU Eras?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Jid123Sheeve, Nov 10, 2016.

1. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Jedi Master star 5

Sep 21, 2012
    He wanted to make more money, but he was quite clear that those are just C-canon, which could be easily wiped out anytime. If he had gone to make the new trilogy himself, the EU would be wiped out as well.
    It's not I don't care much, I don't like the countless major threats in post RotJ era. It makes less sense than the new canon.

2. Blackhole E Snoke

Blackhole E Snoke Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 26, 2016

Of course there is a reason. You just can't remove a Tyrant and expect everything to be happy going forwards. I would think anybody living in our current time would know that.

And how long would Star Wars popularity have lasted if in the 80's and 90's the EU never moved on from the OT?

3. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    Yeah the New Republic still needs to finish the job, there is time to rebuild and restore the galaxy, but this saga is about to over with the OT movies. There can be the next major threat decades later, which new heroes will rise up to fight them, but not "it's just the beginning, behold of countless major world threat over and over again until the big three are in their 70s!" No thanks. I prefer Luke's saga as the main hero to end after the Empire's defeat.

It would have been much better if the 80 and 90's EU are focusing to expand different eras like TotJ rather than stick with the big three.

4. Darth Invictus

Darth Invictus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 8, 2016
    It did more than enough of the old republic era and it should have done more, I'll concede the big three shouldn't have been saving the day until their seventies, that was Denning, and Shapiro's fault. In any case yes Lucas could have wiped out the EU on his own and ignored or appropriated it at his leisure-that's a matter of record.

But forgive me I don't care about the NuEU and am unenthusiastic and depressed about the future of Star Wars.

5. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    I'm ok with the new canon for now. At least they are mostly additional materials. it's better to keep the influence of SW with the new movies.

6. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    One year actually.

7. unicorn

unicorn Chosen One star 4

Jan 19, 2001
    Post NJO is when it started to go downhill.

That said, I really enjoyed the books written during that era that went back and filled in the timeline, like Scoundrels, Razor's Edge, Choices of One, Luke Skywalker and the Shadows of Mindor, etc.

vncredleader and masterskywalker like this.
  8. CoruscantDweller

CoruscantDweller Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 28, 2015

You didn't like Legacy?

9. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    Can't speak for Ackbar's Fishsticks, but most people I've seen on here seem to implicitly omit it when talking about the "post-NJO", since 99% of Legacy honestly makes more sense as a sequel to the NJO than as a sequel to the post-NJO novels.

10. QuentinGeorge

QuentinGeorge Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 12, 2003

You're getting soft in your old age.

jSarek and Jeff_Ferguson like this.
  11. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    A lot of the EU writers also prefer their own setting/characters way too much, while they are good at it, it caused great inconsistency, Traviss is the most famous example.

12. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    LOTF had potential, real potential-how has the Galaxy recovered or not from the Vong war? How world's like Corellia and Kuat feel they should remake galactic hegemony in their image after all-they have the clout. You could tie it into the prequels with species like the Neimodians, tie it into the NJO-how do the Vong react to the civil war? Show the One Sith in detail planning, plotting, and doing devious things. Have character centred novels-Caedus, Lumiya, Luke, the Bothan generals. Had LOTF covered all that in say 20 books it would have been an amazing series. It had potential yet it was fatally squandered.

13. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    So true. So much room for expansion.

14. masterskywalker

masterskywalker Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 2, 2001
    Of the old stuff?

Best:
    KOTOR, Zhan through Dark Empire era (includes TIE fighter, Shadows of the Empire, etc),
    Average:
    NJO (I loved it but it was uneven as hell)
    Worst: Post NJO, I didn't even bother. By that I mean the Pre-legacy stuff. That was fine.

15. Fiachra

Fiachra Jedi Youngling

Apr 19, 2016
    Best was New Jedi Order, finally ditched the tired old formula of a galactic senetor and her friends running around solving every problem, I mean did she do any political work at all? It was pretty much The Famous Five in space after a while. NJO was when SW finally grew up, particularly Star by Star, love that book.

Hated prequel era but The Clone Wars series has actually made me a fan of it now, the films still aren't great but at least Anakin's sudden change from "The Emporer is a Sith, we must stop him!" to butchering children five minutes later isn't quite as jarring if still a little ridiculous.

xezene and Force Smuggler like this.
  16. The Legions of Lettow

The Legions of Lettow Jedi Master star 5

Oct 14, 2015
  17. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    So, I was reading about the galaxy on the Wook and saw that the galaxy has 7 dwarf galaxies surrounding the main SW galaxy.
    So much room for more story potential and growth.......

18. ConservativeJedi321

ConservativeJedi321 Force Ghost star 6

Mar 19, 2016
    Best: Rise of the Empire and much of the Old Republic.

Not Worst But average: Imperial, and post Imperial Era's.

I don't like the word "worst" because any era had/has potential, and a mix of good and bad. Star Wars in general is awesome so just because its not the best doesn't make it the "worst".
    Though the Vong comes close.

19. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014

Which one of those dwarf galaxies is named Grumpy? :p

Grievousdude likes this.
  20. Flex Madine

Flex Madine Jedi Knight star 2

Apr 17, 2015
    Is this chronological release era, or time period era? Because release wise I really liked all of the stuff pre-Ep1 the most. With the Hand of Thrawn being the bookend before the NJO stuff started. Not that NJO was related to ep1, I just always associate them together as kind of an era where SW changed a bit for me.

But I did love a lot of the mid/late 90s stuff. It was just really open-ended without a lot of guard rails. Some hits, some misses. The Crispin trilogy for Solo might be tops for me.

I was very reserved on the new canon but I think the LF story group has mostly done a good job. The Wendig stuff is eh, but I think there are some limits there in what he's allowed to cover. I think Catalyst is great. And the Tarkin book too. Highly character driven, but in ways that are potentially building to something else down the line. In Catalyst - the setup is very clear. I never got that feeling from the old EU unless it was a series. It seemed like authors had pet characters that they'd develop but no promise of unifying themes between books. At the outset of the 90s that was fine because it would jump around eras and be self-contained stories. But once there were established characters and relationships and kids, it became tougher to maintain consistency.

Maybe I'm a weirdo - but I always preferred to read the elaborate, over the top backstory of some Cantina background character then I would some "new" Jedi character set 20 years post-ROTJ.

Grievousdude, Daneira and JABoomer like this.
  21. Chancellor Yoda

Chancellor Yoda Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 25, 2014
    Best: Prequel era

This is the era I've always been most invested in and it probably helps the era had some of my favorite EU stories like Darth Plaguies, Labyrinth of Evil, Republic comics etc...

Worst: Post-NJO

No surprises here, just an era of wasted potential and forgettable stories.

22. Ackbar's Fishsticks

Ackbar's Fishsticks Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 25, 2013
    For a brief shining moment in the first LOTF book, I was hoping that we'd be getting a conflict (which wouldn't necessarily be a full-scale war) that wasn't just a war of good versus evil and/or a huge war with supervillains manipulating orchestrating everything behind the scenes, but a legitimate difference of opinion between two understandable but different viewpoints.

And then...

jSarek, Havac and Jeff_Ferguson like this.
  23. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    Did we ever get sympathetic confederation characters?

24. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    We got one, aside from having Han, Leia, and Wedge join up. Denjax Teppler.

25. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Didn't he turn out to be as bad as the rest though? Like Thrackan and the rest? Re-read most of LOTF a couple years ago so some of the details are fuzzy but seem to remember him turning out to be a pain in the neck later?