main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Best and Worst of each film

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by DBPirate, Aug 25, 2015.

1. DBPirate

DBPirate Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2015
    This thread is for discussing what you think is the best and worst parts of each film. They can range anywhere from a scene to an actor to even a simple line. For me, it's:

TPM: Best--Ending lightsaber duel, Worst--Jar Jar
    AOTC: Best--Everything on Geonosis, Worst--Romance
    ROTS: Best--I can't decide, Worst--Count Dooku dying too early
    ANH: Best--Characters in general, Worst--Battle of Yavin might be too long
    TESB: Best--Cloud City, Worst--Luke crying
    ROTJ: Best--Battle of Endor, Worst--Movie really slows down midway

Feel free to go a bit more in-depth than me!

2. HevyDevy

HevyDevy Force Ghost star 5

Apr 13, 2011
    TPM: Best - Symbolism; An age of innocence (everything from the bright hues and seemingly happy ending, to Anakin's character generally, to a ruler that gives up her power (Padme), and lighthearted humour), start of parallel similarities in Jedi and Sith Orders, beginning of an invisible power struggle for place of Anakin's father-figure (Qui-Gon "I will watch over him, you have my word." -----> Palpatine "We will watch your career with great interest" <vs> Obi-Wan "You will be a Jedi, I promise."), Inversions such as "Rebels" being the bad guys.
    Worst - Podrace announcer :oops: .

AOTC: Best - Tattooine. Shmi's death hands down.
    Worst - Characterisation in parts. Particularly Anakin is pretty inconsistent.

ROTS: Best - The complexity within the film, and connecting it to the other five films. The soundtrack.
    Worst - Should have been longer.

ANH: Best- Everything from the opening up to the Millennium Falcon reaching the Deathstar.
    Worst - The heroes Deathstar scenes (besides the duel) can be silly.

ESB: Best - The characters.
    Worst - Interrupting the awesome Luke/Vader duel with the escape from Cloud City.

ROTJ: Best - Throne room scenes, of course.
    Worst - Some of the Endor scenes drag a little.

3. Jangounchained1990

Jangounchained1990 Jedi Knight star 2

May 31, 2015
    TPM: Best--The droid army.
    Worst--No character development aside from Boss Nass changing his mind about the Naboo humans.
    AOTC: Best--Shmi's death scene.
    Worst-- All that fake looking cgi.
    ROTS: Best--The emperor declearing the reorganisation of the republic into the first galactical empire.
    Worst--The unecessary chewie appearence.
    ANH: Best--All the intresting looking creaturs on Tattoin.
    Worst--The lightsaber effects being inconsistant.
    TESB: Best--The duel between Vader and Luke.
    Worst--Luke cutting a plot hole through the AT-AT.
    ROTJ: Best--Luke losing his temper with Vader.
    Worst--The blue screen effect on Mos eisley when they are travelling to the sarlac pit.

ObiWanKnowsMe likes this.
  4. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    The Phantom Menace: Best -- Obi-Wan vs. Darth Maul Worst -- Jar Jar
    Attack of the Clones: Best -- Everything on Kamino, Worst -- Romance
    Revenge of the Sith: Best -- Order 66, Worst -- Awful dialogue like, "From my point of view, the Jedi are evil!"
    Star Wars: Best -- The way the film pulls you into the world and refuses to let go, Worst -- Han using "sister" as slang
    The Empire Strikes Back: Best -- Everything, literally too much to list, Worst -- Nothing
    Return of the Jedi: Best -- Luke/Vader/Emperor on the Death Star II, Worst -- Luke's plan to save Han makes no sense

Blake Starstrider likes this.
  5. HevyDevy

HevyDevy Force Ghost star 5

Apr 13, 2011
    Maybe my mind has gone blank, but when did Luke cry?

6. True Sith

True Sith Jedi Master star 4

May 10, 2015
    TPM: Best- Darth Maul vs. Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan, theatrical version of the podrace, R2 saving the ship.
    Worst- Most of the scenes with Jar Jar, erratic tone and pacing.

AOTC: Best- Execution arena scene and Battle of Geonosis, Kamino scenes.
    Worst- Unconvincing old-fashioned romance dialogue, whiny and unlikable Anakin.

ROTS: Best- Order 66, Vader vs. Obi-Wan, Yoda vs. Sidious
    Worst- Bad Anakin and Padme dialogue on the balcony, Padme dying of a broken heart.

I’ll avoid mentioning Special Edition changes for these:

ANH: Best- Opening scene, Death Star trench run.
    Worst- Tracking device plothole.

TESB: Best-Luke meeting Yoda, Battle of Hoth, Han’s carbon freeze.
    Worst- Whiny Luke at times.

ROTJ: Best- Battle of Endor (space and ground), meeting the Emperor, Luke refusing the dark side.

Worst- Slightly overlong Jabba's palace sequence.

7. DBPirate

Jun 20, 2015
    Should've been a bit more clear; sorry, I was rushing. It's just I like The Empire Strikes Back so much that I had to nitpick and choose Luke's reaction to the "I am your father" reveal. A bit over the top.

Luke Skyquacker likes this.
  8. Obi-John Kenobi

Obi-John Kenobi Jedi Master star 3

Oct 30, 2012
    I could go on and on, but to keep it brief, I'll try to stick to two things per movie

TPM Best: Duel of the Fates/ Seeing Qui-Gon & Obi-Wan at work on the Trade Federation ship.

Worst: Jar Jar stepping in dung/Getting farted in his face

AOTC: Best: Dooku questioning Obi-Wan/ End Battle (particularly the exchange between Anakin & ObiWan. "We have a job to do!"etc)

Worst: Shmi's death (too graphic for my taste)/ Padme's dialogue in "Anakin's Confession" scene seems particularly weak. ( "There are some things no one can fix".And people pick on "I hate sand"? Another is "Ani, what's wrong?" My mother was just tortured to death for over a month,duh!)

ROTS: Best: Yoda & Sidious confrontation/ Anakin vs Obi-Wan (particularly the finish. "You were the Chosen One!....Bring balance to the Force! Not leave it in darkness!" Always rips my heart out.)

Worst: I always hoped there was going to be a "point of no return" where Anakin's eyes would turn Sith yellow and stay that way as a symbol of his being too far gone. Would make it more powerful in ROTJ when his helmet comes off and his eyes are back to normal./ I think the dialogue between Anakin & Obi-Wan before the duel was very lacking. In Jedi, Vader says "Obi-Wan once thought as you do." But in ROTS, he really does little to try and sway Anakin back to the light. Honestly, Padme did most of that. I'm surprised Lucas didn't decide to have JEJ record a replacement line for Jedi: "Your mother once thought as you do...." At least it would be more accurate....

ANH Best: Ben telling Luke about his dad & The Force/ Vader vs Obi-Wan rematch

Worst: There really isn't much to dislike.....I guess,it'd be cool to have the Biggs scenes back in.

TESB: Best Vader vs Luke in Cloud City/ Yoda's teachings

Worst: Chewie choking Lando/ I wish The Emperor's scene was better visualized in the SE.

ROTJ: Best: Luke rescues Han at the Sarlacc Pit/ The whole ending of Luke vs Vader + the Emperor's defeat.

Worst: I truly hate the SE ending without Shaw & Yub Nub.

Jangounchained1990 likes this.
  9. metophlus

metophlus Jedi Padawan star 2

Jun 30, 2015
    TPM
    Best: Qui-Gon's scenes
    Worst: You know.

AOTC
    Best: Kamino's awesome
    Worst: Romance dialogue / Obi-Wan's defeat by Dooku

ROTS
    Best: Order 66 / Obi-Wan's scenes / Final duel
    Worst: Natalie Portman

ANH
    Best: Everything on Tatooine / Battle of Yavin
    Worst: The Dianoga was fairly pointless.

ESB
    Best: Luke vs Vader duel
    Worst: I don't know.

ROTJ
    Best: Vader's scenes
    Worst: The first act is a bore, the trio are a bore, the Ewoks should have been Wookiees

10. CT1138

CT1138 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2013
    TPM -
    Best: The lightsaber duels
    Worst: the comic relief

AotC -
    Best: the battle scenes
    Worst: the dialogue

RotS -
    Best: the symbolism
    Worst: the lightsaber battles

ANH -
    Best : symbolism
    Worst: the special effects

ESB -
    Best: score
    Worst: love story

RotJ -
    Best: lightsaber effects
    Worst: first act

11. DBPirate

Jun 20, 2015
    Scratch that. Worst of TESB may be Lando pronouncing Han the wrong way.

12. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    TPM
    - Best: Everything from "Weesa going home" to the end
    - Worst: Tattoine drags a bit

AOTC
    - Best: Everything, except:
    - Worst: I feel like the romance has one or two too many scenes

ROTS
    - Best: Everything
    - Worst: Nothing

ANH
    - Best: The Death Star capture/rescue/escape sequence
    - Worst: The point from where the droids escape until Luke meets Obi-wan

ESB
    - Best: Everything on Hoth
    - Worst: Having no resolution to the Luke/Anakin relationship

ROTJ
    - Best: Space Battle of Endor
    - Worst: After Darth Vader arrives on the Death Star until Luke arrives to free Han

13. Darth Palpadious

Darth Palpadious Jedi Master star 3

May 31, 2013
    TPM
    Best: The design and look of the whole film. Astonishing, iconic design work. Amidala, Maul, Coruscant, the Podrace, Jar Jar... amazing work.
    Worst: Acting. Liam Neeson is good, but Natalie, Ewan and most others phone it in and there's just not enough heart.

AOTC
    Best: Hmm... the action, I guess. Geonosis is a really spectacular battle and there's a lot of very nifty little dogfights in here as well.
    Worst: The romantic dialogue, the dialogue in general really but particularly the romance. It's the low point of the whole saga.

ROTS
    Best: The scale and ambition of it. Easily the most "epic" chapter in the saga and it's an absolute whirlwind film. Really impressive.
    Worst: Again, the dialogue. The landing platform scene on Mustafar (pre-duel chatter) is the single worst-scripted scene of the whole saga.

ANH
    Best: The music. Simply the most important and iconic film score that has ever been produced.
    Worst: Hmm, tough one. Probably the special edition aspects. This is the only SE I have real problems with, CGI Jabba in particular.

ESB
    Best: The characters. Han in particular is just amazing to watch, and Luke, Yoda, Leia, Threepio, and of course Vader are all fighting to steal the show. What a cast.
    Worst: I guess the opening ten minutes or so, up to Obi-Wan's appearance in the blizzard. Just a little needless really.

ROTJ
    Best: The throne room scenes are some of the best in the saga, and the Battle of Endor in general is a real highlight of the whole thing.
    Worst: I've never cared for the Jabba's palace sequence and like ESB, the first ten minutes are totally wasted.

14. enigmaticjedi

enigmaticjedi Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 2, 2011
    TPM
    Best: Battle of Naboo, particularly the Darth Maul duel
    Worst: Little characterization, and Jar Jar

AOTC:
    Best: Everything on Geonosis
    Worst: The Romance arc

ROTS:
    Best: Virtually Everything in the Film [Battle of Coruscant, Symbolism and Parallelism with ROTJ with the Dooku and Mace duels, Anakin vs. Obi-Wan, Yoda vs. Sidious, Order 66, Tying into ANH]
    Worst: N/A (If I had to pick something, the Youngling scene was unnecessary)

ANH:
    Best: Characterization and World-building, especially when the cast were all together.
    Worst: When they were on Tatooine, the pace dragged during certain parts

TESB:
    Best: Virtually Everything in the Film [Best pacing of any SW film because virtually everything moved the plot along, Vader reveal, Luke vs. Vader, Cloud City, Battle of Hoth, Yoda, Lando, Millenium Falcon sequence]
    Worst: N/A (Cannot think of anything)

ROTJ:
    Best: Battle of Endor, particularly the Throne Room scenes
    Worst: Ewoks.

15. RainSolo

RainSolo Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 31, 2015
    Great idea for a thread! Heres my choices :)

TPM:
    Best: The lightsaber duel and the podrace
    Worst: The line "Yippeeee!" (seriously, it weirdly annoys me more than anything else!)

AOTC:
    Best: Battle of Geonosis, introduction of Jango, Mace Windu being a badass
    Worst: Most of the Anakin stuff

ROTS:
    Best: The space battle, the Darth Plagueis chat, Obi Wans hunt of Grievous, The fall of the Jedi
    Worst: Padme dying due to "losing the will to live"

ANH:
    Best: Mos Eisley Cantina, The destruction of the death star
    Worst: Leia being such a grump after being rescued

TESB:
    Best: Pretty much everything, but if I have to pick, I guess I can single out the Battle of Hoth, The Asteroid Chase, and the development of the Han/Leia romance
    Worst: This is probably a cop out, but honestly, I got nothing!

ROTJ:
    Best: The space battle, Jabbas Palace, The Speeder Bike chase, Leia being a badass
    Worst: Vader shouting "NOOOOOOOO"

Force Smuggler likes this.
  16. Tommytom

Tommytom Jedi Master star 1

Apr 25, 2015
    TPM
    Best: The character of Darth Maul and his duel against Qui Gon and Obi-Wan
    Worst: The character of Jar Jar Binks was done very poorly. Also, dialogue in general.

AOTC
    Best: The character of Jango Fett and the Battle of Geonosis.
    Worst: Romance story arc between Anakin and Padme was done very, very poorly. And again, the dialogue wasn't too great, mostly the romantic parts.

ROTS
    Best: The emotion. Don't know how else to say it. It was truly a dark film that put me in tears the first time I saw it. The tension between Obi-Wan and Anakin/Vader, the transformation of the Republic into the Empire, the fall of the Jedi, it was all done very nicely in my opinion and partially made up for the previous two films of the prequel trilogy, which weren't that great.
    Worst: DIALOGUE! Also, losing the will to live. Come on! We can do just a little bit better than that.

ANH
    Best: It introduced Star Wars. But seriously, it was the space battle. Truly revolutionized the film industry, and was overall awesome. Tarkin was also an awesome character.
    Worst: Lack of emotion. I didn't feel much for Alderaan because we didn't get much development on it, and of course Leia didn't appear very heartbroken.

ESB
    Best: No, I am your father!
    Worst: Tough one for me. I'm going to have to go with how the Emperor was portrayed, even in the latest release. I know, I know, Ian McDiarmid was added in, and he did a terrific job, but the hologram looked a bit too... stiff. I would have expected a little more movement. The reason I'm really nit-picky on this one is because I really can't think of anything else that was bad with ESB, this wasn't even bad, it was just something that I always noticed.

ROTJ
    Best: The story arc with Emperor Sidious, Vader, and Luke - and of course the resolution of that story arc. It was impeccable, absolutely flawless in my opinion.
    Worst: Ewoks. I don't mind them as a species at all. But the ones that turn the tables in the Galactic Civil War via melee weapons? No. I would have much preferred Wookiees, which would be a greater challenge for the Empire, and have the potential for character development with Chewie and Han, and of course, emotion! But on the bright side, we got Kashyyyk in the ep III, which is an awesome planet.

17. Delta-7

Delta-7 Jedi Grand Master star 3

Apr 24, 2002
    The Phantom Menace
    Best:
    The Darth Maul Duel
    Worst: Little Anakin

Attack of the Clones

Best:
    Battle of Geonosis
    Worst: "Romance" between Anakin and Padme

Revenge of the Sith
    Best:
    The twin Lightsaber Fights at the end, Order 66, and the Space battle over Courasant (Had a hard time picking just one)
    Worst: Nooooooooooo

A New Hope
    Best:
    The entire battle over the Death Star
    Worst: Obi Wan vs Darth Vader

Empire Strikes Back
    Best:
    Battle of Hoth, Han and Leia, and Darth Vader vs Luke (Another one I hard a hard time picking)
    Worst: The Special Edition Empire scene (the changes dont make sense)

Return of the Jedi
    Best:
    Space battle over Endor (All those cool new ships!)
    Worst: Ewoks

Going to be bold and make some wild predictions about TFA. (Only for fun)

The Force Awakens

Best:
    Kylo Ren vs ________
    Worst: When ________ did ________

18. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015
    TPM: Best--Ian McDiarmid's performance, Worst--The long wait on Tatooine
    AOTC: Best--The story on Tatooine and Geonosis (except the lightsaber duels), Worst--Romance
    ROTS: Best--Sidious and Anakin/Vader's conversations, Worst--Grievous not being intimidating enough
    ANH: Best--Characters in general, Worst--Leia's accent change
    TESB: Best--Darth Vader's scenes and Yoda training Luke, Worst--Can't think of anything.
    ROTJ: Best--Vader and Luke's conversations, Worst--Waiting for Luke to arrive at Jabba's palace.

19. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    The OT = Pretty much perfect (Wookies instead of ewoks would be nice)
    The PT = Everything can go besides Darth Maul!

20. Jo Lucas

Jo Lucas Jedi Master star 4

Aug 28, 2015
    TPM - best: Anakin/ worst: droids, all of them
    AOTC - best: Dooku/ worst: romance (thanks Hayden!)
    ROTS - best: Ian McDiarn (dont know how to spell his name, sorry, but he is Palps) worst: the long prologue in Grievous ship

ANH - best: OBI WAN!!! / worst: the role of the Rebels is poorly developed...
    ESB - best: Yoda/ worst: Leia kissing Luke (disgusting, GL, disgusting)
    ROTJ - best: Jabba's palace!/ worst: ewoks (I did not hate them, but they are the less better)

TFA - best: no GL/ worst: no Midi chlorians

21. Jo Lucas

Jo Lucas Jedi Master star 4

Aug 28, 2015
    Anyone else think same as mine? Rebels were poorly developed in ANh, seriously...

22. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    TPM:

Best: the pod race sequence, Qui-Gon interacting with Anakin and Shmi
    Worst: "I'll try spinning, that's a good trick!" and "Yippee!"

AOTC:

Best: the speeder chase scene, the first view of the clones, the Lars garage
    Worst: the Anakin/Obi-Wan fight in Padme's apartment

ROTS:

Best: the opening battle
    Worst: the rest of it

ANH:

Best: the escape from Tatooine, the voyage, the chase through the Death Star
    Worst: Alderaan getting blown up

ESB:

Best: the Hoth scenes
    Worst: Luke whining when he first meets Yoda

ROTJ:

Best: the throne room scene and Anakin's return; the Endor scenes
    Worst: the Jabba's palace scenes

23. Saga Explorer

Saga Explorer Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 14, 2015
    Best : All in all , everything
    Worst : Ehm ... the black / blank screen after the movies ???

24. StarKiller81

StarKiller81 Jedi Master star 3

Nov 19, 2014
    TPM
    Best: the pod race
    Worst: Jar Jar
    AOTC
    Best:kamino scenes
    Worst: redefining the term 'wooden'
    ROTS
    Best:First couple of minutes of Obi Wan vs Darth Anakin
    Worst: 'Noooooooo'
    ANH
    Best:Han shooting first
    Worst:the light saber battle (just the choreography part of it)
    ESB
    Best:Vader vs Luke
    Worst:'Noooooooooo'
    ROTJ
    Best:Yoda and Luke scene
    Worst: Ewoks

Blake Starstrider likes this.
  25. smoothkaz

smoothkaz Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 25, 2014
    TPM
    Best: Overall visual aesthetic