main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Best bet to get the 2008 DVD set?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by DarthPancho, Feb 22, 2013.

1. DarthPancho

DarthPancho Jedi Youngling

Feb 22, 2013
    Hola Jedis!

I'm new to these forums, but not new to Star Wars, I hope I can hang out with other fans 'round here in these exciting times.

I'm on the lookout for a 2008 DVD set, but am seeing some very high prices on Amazon and eBay...

Does anyone know where I can get this set at a more reasonable price? I'm looking for it new or in "like new" condition. If I can get my hands on the Best Buy in set, it would be a bonus.

Any help is appreciated!

"Que la fuerza los acompañe"

2. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Where are you from?

3. DarthPancho

Feb 22, 2013
    From México.

But I can buy, order, and pick up stuff in the US...

Cheers.

4. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Are the 2008 DVDs the same as the 2004 DVDs?

5. Juke Skywalker

Juke Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Mar 27, 2004
    First of all, DarthPancho, welcome to TFN. Whatever else you may do in your time here, you officially have my favorite icon on these boards.

Are the 2008 DVDs the same as the 2004 DVDs

The 2008 releases were sold seperately and each included the original unaltered versions as a "bonus" disc. I picked mine up for $14.99 ea. when they first came out, and I still saw them at places like Wal-Mart as recently as 2010. Then all of a sudden the prices shot up on the secondary market and they're going for 2 to 3 times original retail on Amazon, eBay etc.

6. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Note on the unaltered releases: they aren't anamorphic transfers, I think they're just copy & paste jobs from the laserdiscs, so if you watch it on a big, HD screen it'll be "boxed in", unless you fiddle with the settings for that specific viewing.

7. DarthPancho

Feb 22, 2013
    Thanks, you're very kind!

Thanks for the info. I knew about them being transfers from the Laserdisc versions, but I was not aware they'd have playback issues on an HDTV.

Does anyone have experience playing these DVDs on a Bluray/HDTV?

Thanks everyone, "Que la fuerza los acompañe"

8. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    I wouldn't call it an "issue", basically have you ever popped in a DVD on a HDTV Blu Ray HDMI input and the DVD was made in, like, 98-early 2000ish? If they aren't anamorphic, and it's also a "widescreen" film like Star Wars movies are, it's going to be a about half the screen, basically kinda like this (but certainly better quality, not the 8-bit image that this looks like, but the boxed in aspect ratio is a thing)
    [​IMG]

On top of my Ps3, I actually have an older DVD player hooked up to my TV that runs through the old white, yellow, and red AV ports (my TV has HDMI inputs plus two old school ports, usb port, cable input, etc. I got as much darn inputs as I could on it to fit a variety of sources). I dunno if I had to change the settings on the DVD player or not but it does "stretch" the image out so it fits the full screen, but the "widescreen" bars take up most of it. This will happen with non-anamorphic DVDs, True Lies is one, Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker original cut is another, etc.

9. DarthPancho

Feb 22, 2013
    Oh, I see. I hope using the "Zoom" feature is enough then, and that it doesn't affect the image quality too much...

Thanks for all the info. I settled on a set from eBay at $150 in the end, hope to receive it this week. :)

"Que la fuerza los acompañe"!

10. Juke Skywalker

Mar 27, 2004
    $150. Whew, it's amazing how much these have shot up. Enjoy 'em, DarthPancho!

11. DarthPancho

Feb 22, 2013
    Thanks, Mr. Juke! An OT marathon is on the way. :)

I have to add, I got the set with a tin case that was a Best Buy exclusive, I believe. It's a little more expensive than the regular set (which is going for around $100), but oh so pretty. [face_blush]

12. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    That's the 2006 release, not the 2008 one. IIRC, the 2008 is just a re-issue of the 2004 DVDs.

It does. They are transfers from the Laserdisc release, and zooming the already low res picture makes it even worse. That's part of the criticism against them. Still, they are the best official release of the OOT, as bad as it is.

13. BoromirsFan

BoromirsFan Jedi Master star 4

May 16, 2010
    Is it really worth watching the films in their original form? I know I did when I was small, but I can't remember. With the laserdisc transfer being so bad, I wonder if its worth putting money into such poor quality image?

Jarren_Lee-Saber likes this.
  14. DarthPancho

Feb 22, 2013
    Probably not, but personally, it's an experience I haven't had yet.

I was about to get the Blurays, but figured it's pointless since they're no longer "the complete saga" and Disney is probably going to release their own sets, hopefully with the restored originals.

In the end, I thought getting the DVDs in the meantime was better, considering they also include the remastered editions. I may buy the current Blurays later, though! [face_tee_hee]

15. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    To be fair, if you have an ole "tube" TV kicking around and hook up a DVD player to it, they're gonna look great!

16. Juke Skywalker

Mar 27, 2004
    Ahhh, I got them confused, my bad. So what makes this 2008 release so expensive?

17. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    I'm glad I bought them when they came out.

18. Jarren_Lee-Saber

Jarren_Lee-Saber Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2008
    Not even a little bit. Several scenes are gone. Scenes look more bare. Graphics are bad & badly cut. Space fights look like models.

19. Jarren_Lee-Saber

Apr 16, 2008
    Nope, he's right - that's the 2008 one:
    http://www.amazon.com/Star-Wars-Com...p_proddesc_0?ie=UTF8&n=2625373011&s=movies-tv

Scroll down that page to see a chart comparison between releases.

20. BoromirsFan

BoromirsFan Jedi Master star 4

May 16, 2010
    Disney may own the star wars brand, but I am pretty sure 20th century fox owns the license for home market star wars 1-6. So we might not see 7 paired with the rest of the films in an official set.

21. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Well, you guys are lucky then. Over here they've released both 2008 sets without any bonus discs.

22. Jarren_Lee-Saber

Apr 16, 2008
    That sucks! But then again you're not actually missing anything since the OT bonuses is just another copy of the OT with less scenes. Where is 'here' if you don't mind me asking?

23. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Portugal. We did get the individual releases of each film with the bonus disc. Only the 2008 boxsets didn't have any. Not that I needed to buy the movies (I already had them), but it's not very appealing for newcomers.

24. DarthPancho

Feb 22, 2013
    The 2006 release is the one that had the OT movies sold separately, with the OOT bonus discs. In 2008, these were simply packaged together, I believe.

Both the individual releases and the Trilogy sets are OOP, and prices have shot up since.

25. Blur

Blur Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 1999
    Interesting that these older sets are so expensive, when they're obviously so inferior to the Blu-rays (I know, since I have the 2004 & 2006 DVD releases, and the 2011 Blu-rays). Obviously this shows that the older sets are considered collectors items these days...

Jarren_Lee-Saber and DarthBoba like this.