main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Best bet to get the 2008 DVD set?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by DarthPancho, Feb 22, 2013.

1. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    I'm waiting for the 4Ks, myself. Resolution-speaking, that's as close as we'll have gotten to what ANH and the rest actually looked like in theatres-even 35mm is way beyond the 1080p we have nowadays.

2. Blur

Blur Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 1999
    Yeah, IMHO the reason for this "cropped widescreen/non-anamorphic" look is because back in the days of laserdiscs & even early DVD's, the picture was basically formatted for the cathode-ray tube (i.e. Box-like) TV's, which were the only ones really available at that time. So, when you watched these half-a$$ed widescreen versions on these sets, it took up the whole screen (with the black bars on the top & bottom, of course). At that time, most people didn't know any better so they didn't realize what they were missing.

However, since the early 2000's widescreen TV's that are designed for the correct, anamorphic widescreen DVD's have become popular.

I'm a huge movie fan/buff, and still occasionally come across the older non-anamorphic widescreen DVD's once in a while; a while back, I saw both Rounders (1998) and The Game (1997) on these sub-par formats (both underrated films, but that's another thread). Fortunately, in both cases these films have recently been re-released on updated DVD (and/or Blu-ray) in the correct anamorphic format.