main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Best Blue Ray set to buy?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Tommaso, Jan 4, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tommaso

Tommaso Jedi Youngling

Jan 4, 2016
    Hello,

I would like to buy the best blue ray, full saga, set.

I have learned that there have been at least 4 separate blue ray sets issued over the years, each one with some differences: new scenes, deleted scenes, CGI remakes of some scenes, new extras material, some in 6 disks and some in 9 disks...

Oct 2015
    Sep 2011
    Jan 2011
    ... earlier.

Which is the best one to own?

2. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    The first Blu Ray set didn't come out until September of 2011. Before that it was only on DVD and before that, VHS and Laserdisc. The Blu Ray contents are the same, they're just packaged differently. So it doesn't really matter which release to buy.

3. Tommaso

Tommaso Jedi Youngling

Jan 4, 2016
    Apparently not. On Amazon and eBay you can find many versions: Oct 2015, Sep 2011, Jan 2011, others...
    http://www.amazon.com/Star-Wars-Com...qid=1452050028&sr=1-1&keywords=star+wars+saga

And, apparently, if you read the reviews, each of these versions has some differences as deleted/added scenes, CGI improvements, different extras, etc, etc.

I would like advice on which is the best set to own.

If you are not aware of these differences, please, would you kindly forward this post to someone on this forum whom you might think could answer?

4. seventhbeacon

seventhbeacon Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 3, 2015
    Both blu ray releases are identical apart from packaging. Darth-sinister's post is correct. The problem with Amazon reviews is that Amazon stupidly combines reviews of older formats (including DVD and even VHS sets) in with the new ones. Pay special note to the dates of the reviews as well as the format being reviewed.

5. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Most of the behind the scenes material that's on the 2004 DVD set for Episodes IV-VI can be found on Youtube. Same with the individual DVD's for Episodes I-III. The deleted scenes found on the DVD and Blu-Ray versions can be found on Youtube as well. So, you can buy any Blu-Ray version that you want.

6. Tommaso

Tommaso Jedi Youngling

Jan 4, 2016
    Thank you to all who replied. So, just to make sure that I understand correctly and to confirm: every blue ray saga set out there has identical content (*), regardless of the exterior packaging and cost?

Basically all the differences described by reviewer "By Sloopydrew on September 19, 2011" on the Amazon link that I included in my previous post refers to the DVD vs BR versions and not BR vs BR versions.

Correct?

(*) modified scenes, CGI improvements, etc

7. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Yes, that is correct. There are no separate sets. Just buy the Star Wars Blu-Ray set and you're good.

If that satisfactorily answers your question, I'll go ahead and lock this up.

8. Tommaso

Tommaso Jedi Youngling

Jan 4, 2016
    Thanks, yes, it satisfactorily answers my question. Apologies for being so meticulous and thank you to all who helped. I'm not sure that I know how to lock this up but I'll try to lock it. If not, can a moderator, please lock it? Again, thank you.

9. Tommaso

Tommaso Jedi Youngling

Jan 4, 2016
    Thread closed

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.