main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Best books about Boba/Jango Fett

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Theron Solo, Mar 5, 2013.

1. Theron Solo

Theron Solo Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 31, 2012
    Hey guys, what are the best novels about the Fett's. Have always been intrigued by them.

2. Mia Mesharad

Mia Mesharad Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    Novels? Well, that's difficult.
    If you're interested in comics, Jango Fett: Open Seasons was an excellent look at the history of Jango prior to Attack of the Clones. It also connects well with the Star Wars: Bounty Hunter game. The two Blood Ties comics both have great stories surrounding the two Fetts, and in Boba's case, the second series prominently features his family. Outbid but Never Outgunned is another good, if short, Boba Fett comic, and was actually the first to introduce the character of his wife. Star Wars: Jango Fett has a pretty strong Jango-centric story, displaying both his tough bounty hunter side, and his warm fatherly side toward a young Boba.

But novels...hmm. I can't think of any full-length novels that really focus specifically on Boba, and unfortunately, there's yet to be any novel at all on Jango that I'm aware of. There are a few young-reader Boba Fett novels that deal with Boba's life during and directly after Attack of the Clones, moving throughout the Clone Wars as the series progresses. The Last One Standing: The Tale of Boba Fett is an especially good short story on Boba from the Tales of the Bounty Hunters anthology, and one that many would highly recommend.

The Legacy of the Force novel series, while it's not specifically about Boba and has a number of other plots throughout, has a strong subplot dealing with an aged Boba Fett and his interaction with the Mandalorians he's by this time come to lead. The short e-novella A Practical Man introduces Fett's time during the Yuuzhan Vong War, and is something of an unofficial prologue to the events from Legacy of the Force, specifically Bloodlines, Sacrifice, and Revelation. There's quite a bit of deep characterization for Boba, and some strong emotional moments as he tries to make peace with his past and become a better person, attempting to live up to his father's memory.

3. Theron Solo

Oct 31, 2012
    Cool, I really appreciate the response. I'm a pretty big star wars fan, but unfortunately have not gotten around to reading as many star wars books as I would of liked too. I own a lot of the books, but am just recently finding time to read them.

Mia Mesharad likes this.
  4. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    I suggest Yavin Vassilika for your comic collection, which can be found in the Boba Fett Omnibus. It's not necessarily Fett-centric, but it is a great story.

Barriss_Coffee and Gorefiend like this.
  5. Mia Mesharad

Mia Mesharad Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    Not a problem, happy to help! :)

6. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    I will follow Traknar by just recommending this one for you http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Omnibus:_Boba_Fett and follows Mia on that the short stories are great and will add this one http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/No_Disintegrations,_Please

To just pick up Bloodlines, Sacrifice, and Revelation though is something I will not recommand, as they are part of a series that builds (or let’s call it deconstructs) previous stories and are in general not all that great, plus the Boba part is somewhat shoehorned into the rest of the story and actually barley about him but about the Mando society as reinvented by Traviss.

There is however a three book series about Boba and a few of the other Bounty Hunters

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/The_Bounty_Hunter_Wars

that takes place just after the End of Episode 6. I don’t really like them, as the writing is hideous, but other people enjoyed them, so you might want to take a look. :)

7. Theron Solo

Oct 31, 2012
    Cool, thanks guys, really appreciate it.

8. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    There are several novels and short stories about Boba and even more comics. A Jango Fett novel or novels would be awesome, especially if it takes place during the war between the True Mandalorians and Deathwatch. I enjoy the Jango comics that I've read so far.

9. Plebeian

Plebeian Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 31, 2012
    The Blood Ties comics are amazing, and the artwork is beautiful.

10. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004
    It would need to be written by Stover though. ;) @ Jango book

11. BoromirsFan

BoromirsFan Jedi Master star 4

May 16, 2010
    Its been mentioned before, but I strongly recommend reading both volumes of Blood Ties.

Mia Mesharad likes this.
  12. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    Blood Ties would actually be a good lead in for the LOTF stuff.

And I wouldn't worry too much about finding contradictions and parts that don't fit together smoothly in the books in general. Fett has changed more than any other character in Star Wars at this point. If one gets too hung up on what they think the story should be, they will miss out on some cool stuff.

Mia Mesharad and TrakNar like this.
  13. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    You'll see both good and bad posts about Bounty Hunter Wars here. I happen to really like the books. Also Boba figures prominently in the Shadows of the Empire comics.

14. Shereshoy Cabur

Shereshoy Cabur Jedi Knight star 3

Feb 2, 2013
    If I'm right, which I should be, you'll grow to become really interested in the Mandalorians as a whole. When you do, read the Republic Commando series written by Karen Traviss, So much Mando in these books it will blow your mind.

15. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004
    Though not necessarily in a good way. [face_plain]

Barriss_Coffee and TrakNar like this.
  16. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    I'm actually sort of disappointed we haven't seen more Jango in anything. I mean, I like Boba and all, but when AOTC came out with its bazillion Jango-related games/comics/etc, he developed into a pretty interesting character. Then it all ceased as suddenly as it began, and everything was ROTS-this, ROTS-that, and Jango has been sidelined to one-off references in books, if mentioned at all. I guess he served his purpose but... I dunno, I wouldn't mind seeing him again in a story. (BUT DON'T GET ME WRONG -- not a story after AOTC unless it's a flashback!! I'm not looking for another Darth Maul here! :p)

Hey that reminds me....
    Show of hands: how many of us are still waiting for an official Stover Imperial Commando announcement?:p

Mia Mesharad and Gorefiend like this.
  17. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    We see Boba in action- but he still remains somewhat mysterious- it's hard to get a grip on his character.

What I liked about it were the other characters- Dengar etc.

18. Bale

Bale Jedi Master star 4

May 9, 2005
    Regarding novels, it depends on what portrayal of Boba you prefer: The Bounty Hunter Wars or Legacy of the Force Boba.

19. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Yeah - some of the interactions with the Hutts and other hunters were pretty good in BHW. I liked Balancesheet as well.

mnjedi likes this.
  20. mnjedi

mnjedi JCC Arena Game Host star 5 VIP - Game Host

Nov 4, 2012
    The Boba Fett comic omnibus would be a good place to start, Blood Ties was great, and I rather liked the BHW series myself (it was the first EU i read after TTT, so I might not be impartial). LotF is a mixed bag for me, but I really liked Bobas interactions with Mirta. Boba also gets a few minor appearances in FotJ, which for the most part are pretty enjoyable.

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  21. Allana_Rey

Allana_Rey Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    We need a Jango novel.

22. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    The Shadows Of The Empire Comic was great. Seeing Fett trying to stop everyone from stealing Han was great

23. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    Plus, the SotE comic has the best Fett line ever:

[​IMG]

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  24. SWpants

SWpants Force Ghost star 5

Oct 28, 2004
    I enjoyed the Mandalorian trilogy by K.W. Jeter for Boba Fett. I'm hoping to get the Omnibus because other than some Traviss books, that seems to be all there is.

I like Traviss as far as Mandos in general go, but not so much for the Fetts.
    And I prefer Boba over Jango.

25. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    One thing to keep in mind if your interested in the Fett family, you won't see any mentions of Jango prior to 2002 or so because he didn't yet exist. So if your interested in the family as more of a whole the post Episode 2 stuff might be of more interest.

Mia Mesharad likes this.