main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Best books

Discussion in 'Literature' started by steveskates, Jun 20, 2017.

1. MartyAvidianus

MartyAvidianus Jedi Padawan star 3

May 14, 2017
    tovarischepitrovsky, I had no idea you are steveskates. I apologize.

2. Darth Invictus

Darth Invictus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 8, 2016
    Okay Traitor is not NC-17. There is no sex, there is no language, and the violence is par the course for the NJO.

3. steveskates

steveskates Jedi Youngling

Jun 20, 2017
    Thanks for all your replies! Sounds like Young Jedi Knights and Junior Jedi knights might be a good safe place to start. I have a little trouble figuring out some of the acronyms are (NJO... for example). But, thanks for all the info. I appreciate it!

Counter and MartyAvidianus like this.
  4. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    NJO = New Jedi Order, which takes place right after Young Jedi Knights and Junior Jedi Knights in the timeline, and features the same cast of Solo kids and their friends.

5. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    My kids are mature and good readers, and I have never been strict about what I let them watch; they were watching PG-13 movies when they were five. My oldest is 12 and is watching some MA-rated shows now.

That said, I personally would not have let them read NJO when they were 8, I would have stuck with young readers' series, not because of the violence per se (although Star by Star was hard to stomach even for me) but because of a basic understanding of what was happening.

6. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    He might be ready for Brian Daley's Han Solo adventures. Those are light reads for an adult, perfectly fine as YA lit. And IMO, Daley captures the feeling of old school Solo and Chewie better than anybody else.

7. steveskates

steveskates Jedi Youngling

Jun 20, 2017
    When you say the "young reader's series" are you talking about Young Jedi Knights and Junior Jedi Knights? I looked on Amazon and those seem appropriate. Young Jedi Knights had an age of 9+ so that seems totally appropriate. Thanks!

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  8. MartyAvidianus

MartyAvidianus Jedi Padawan star 3

May 14, 2017
    young jedi knights are the adventures of Jaina dn Jacen, the Solo twins who were born in the Thrawn trilogy, the book Heir to the Empire It's there time in the Jedi Academy on Yavin 4. The Junior Jedi Knights talk about Anakin Solo, their brother, and his friend Tahiri Veila while they attend the Jedi Academy.

9. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I know you don't want kids books but if your son saw Rogue One and liked the characters of Baze Malbus and Chirrut Imre I'm recommending Guardians of the Whills by Greg Rucka. Amazon UK gives the age range for the book as 9-12 years. I'm an adult and I was engrossed by the story. The events are a prequel to RO.
    Also the young adult Boba Fett series mentioned earlier is quite good if your son likes Jango and Boba. It starts during the events of AOTC and ends around RoTS time.

10. Counter

Counter Jedi Padawan star 1

Mar 3, 2017
    I am glad to see someone who cares enough to caution another parent on material that is likely too mature for an eight year old. I know you were told to shut up by someone, but kudos to you for passionately caring enough to provide another parent with relevant information.

11. Darth Invictus

Darth Invictus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 8, 2016
    Traitor is not NC-17 and I'd say there is a difference between written violence and screen violence. Reading about decapitation is not the same thing as watching it happen.

Prospective parents should be aware of such factors.