main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Best CG Character of Past, and Present

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by CaptSparrow, Nov 24, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CaptSparrow

CaptSparrow Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 5, 2006
    After seeing Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest for the second time, I was just looking at the realism of Davy Jones' character. I mean far beating Episode II Yoda.
    So what do you guys think of the subject? What is your pick for the Best CG Character?

2. swimmerman91

swimmerman91 Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 22, 2005
    yup, while reading the title, it thought the exact same thing.
    I think Epi 2 yoda wasn't as good because it was more like pioneering with a 3d character that did so much...and he still wasn't to shabby looking

3. Son-Of-Suns

Son-Of-Suns Jedi Master star 4

Aug 18, 2000
    For the newest CG character I've seen, Davy Jones takes the cake when compared to Yoda, Gollum or Dobby. As for past CG characters, the latter-mentioned all pioneered 3D characters so that characters like Jones could be built, but I think none captured me more than the water-tentacle in Abyss.

4. Lord_Charisma

Lord_Charisma Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 9, 2001
    Jar Jar is about the best there ever was.

5. DaFireMedic

DaFireMedic Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 18, 2006
    I agree, the Davey Jones character was the best so far. However, up until that point, it was Yoda from Episode III. The detail and shadows on his face in the scene where he counsels Anakin, telling him that "fear of loss is a path to the dark side" were amazing.

6. StevenBills

StevenBills Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 6, 2006
    Gollum was pretty sweet.

7. Vigilante74

Vigilante74 Jedi Padawan star 4

May 13, 2004
    ...and people used to give Beafet a hard time for creating a lot of threads.

[face_plain]

8. swimmerman91

Aug 22, 2005
    and I thought that was me
    [face_plain]

9. Jedsithor

Jedsithor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 1, 2005
    Pity everything else in Pirates 2 looked crap...I mean the Kraken reminded me of the rancor from ROTJ only worse.

Oh and although I'm a relative n00b, I'm guessing it won't be long until this is closed but just to try to keep it open:

Which fanfilm has the best cg character?

Is that enough to keep it open? No? Ok bye bye thread...

10. CaptSparrow

Sep 5, 2006
    Have they're been any fanfilms with CG characters in them, beside KnightQuest, Tara's droid, I can't think of anything else.

11. BruceM

BruceM Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 8, 2006
    Wrong, by alot
    to name a few
    Dichotomy
    the jedi saga(all those battle droids)
    Seven jedi(saw a trailer with clone troopers)
    episode IIish
    Thats all I can think of right now.

12. VaporTrail

VaporTrail Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 19, 2002
    I always thought Bit from Tron was pretty sweet.

[image=http://accad.osu.edu/~waynec/history/images/tron-images/bityes.jpg]

"Yesyesyesyesyesyesyes!"

-Vaportrail

13. CaptSparrow

Sep 5, 2006
    By CG character, I guess people mean like an actual character with a personality not just a background character, like a battle droid.

14. dvdcdr

dvdcdr Jedi Knight star 3

Aug 8, 2006
    It's always hard to tell which one of these cg characters looks more real, because usually when your character has to be computer generated that means that he doesnt exist. so what do you base it off of, you can make your character anything you want with completely incorrect skin shaders and say 'oh, this is how hes supossed to look.'

so realism-wise, i'd say peter jackson's king kong. because there are gorillas in real life and i honestly can not tell the difference between him and an actual gorilla

but in terms of enjoyability to watch, id have to say davy jones just because those tentacles on his face tangling around. it just adds an entire new dimension

15. darthviper107

darthviper107 Jedi Master star 4

Jun 26, 2003
    They need to add some kind of Animation award, because seriously, they did amazing on Davey Jones and should get an award. King Kong was amazing too, the animators should have gotten an award.

As for fanfilms, there are several fanfilms, and I can tell you that there will be more (with main characters being all CG).

16. Mircat

Mircat Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 3, 2005
    And with that, Vaportrail wins.

17. RIPLEY426

RIPLEY426 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 28, 2003
    To me, the T-Rex in Jurassic Park is still the most real-looking CG item of all times.

18. Evil-Henchman

Evil-Henchman Jedi Master star 4

Jul 17, 2004
    The "spiders" (whatever the main alien figting bugs were called) in Starship Troopers.

Best... CGI... evah!

19. Rhys

Rhys Jedi Master star 4

Jun 27, 2005

Personally i noticed a bit of a height difference.

20. Lord_Charisma

Lord_Charisma Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 9, 2001
    I think the reason Davy Jones has to get the vote, really, is that it wasn't until later on that I discovered that he was entirely CGI. I was almost certain that Bill Nighy was wearing a prosthetic, and then had the tentacles enhanced in post. Apparently not, every single part of Davy Jones was computer generated. That's what swings it for me - I was fooled.

21. Master-Indy

Master-Indy Jedi Youngling star 1

May 17, 2002
    I stick with King Kong!

22. swimmerman91

Aug 22, 2005
    ok, well we've gotten the point that Davey Jones looks the most realistic.
    But in fan films..
    ..so far I haven't seen any with good 3d characters if any.
    I don't mean all animation like Smurfed's Epi IIish(his look pretty good), but with 3d characters intigrated in with real live action humans

23. BruceM

BruceM Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 8, 2006
    For best 3d character, I would say the clone troopers in aotc and rots. They even looked nice with their helmets off. And the scene with commander cody giving kenobi the saber, that was nice.

24. dvdcdr

dvdcdr Jedi Knight star 3

Aug 8, 2006
    The CG in Jurassic Park went out with the dinosaurs. No pun intended

Yeah, the clones were sick, more so in ROTS. But you know that with the helmets though, it was a face of a real guy imposed on it. And just in my opinion, the scene where Cody hands obi wan the sabers is horrible. For some reason it just doesn't match, I can tell that it's CGI. Why oculdn't GL just build one suit, we'll never know.

25. swimmerman91

Aug 22, 2005
    I think the point was NOT to build the suit na to have them be completely CG

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.