main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Best College Basketball Team Ever?

Discussion in 'Archive: The Arena' started by YODA the all powerful, Jun 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. YODA the all powerful

YODA the all powerful Moderator Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 5, 1998
    My vote, 1990 UNLV Rebels. Dispute me please.

2. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    They were good, but not that good. None of them ended up being great pros. Duke ended up beating much the same team the following year, in 1991.

I'd say Kareem or Walton's Bruins should come out on top.

3. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
    KW hits the nail on the head. Those teams were stacked, with any number of quality NBA players.

4. Rogue...Jedi

Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2000
    Yep, one of the UCLA teams has to win this. There have been some very, very good teams since, including that '90 UNLV team.... but the UCLA dynasty wins easily.

5. thesamman

thesamman Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 23, 2007
    all that needs to be said here has been said already.

No one within a mile of Wooden (except for Summit)

6. Dal--Intrepid

Dal--Intrepid Jedi Master star 5

Mar 13, 2002
    Didn't the 1982 UNC Tarheels win the ESPN tournament for the greatest college basketball team ever? I do believe the entire country spoke that night.

7. Rogue...Jedi

Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2000
    The '82 Heels do deserve a mention here, certainly... though I don't remember who won that silly ESPN tourney. I've never paid those things too much attention anyways.

8. Dal--Intrepid

Mar 13, 2002
    UCLA was at a disadvantage that night. Bill Walton was one of the in-studio analysts and he's such an unlikable guy, he was probably driving votes away from UCLA. A lot of the early UCLA teams were out in the first round in no small part thanks to Walton's UCLA banner waving.

9. DRHJ9

DRHJ9 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 19, 2003
    Huh?

Maybe not great, but very good.

Larry Johnson, Stacey Augmon, and Greg Anthony had very good careers.

I say they were the best, if not top three. We haven't seen a defense like that since those men were on the court. Man to Man, or the Amoeba, killed everyone.

Duke beat them the following year, But the team mentioned was the 1990 team.

10. Dal--Intrepid

Mar 13, 2002
    Those UNLV teams just happened to be talented teams that got by on skill alone, but not much more. Not unlike the Fab Five Michigan teams, sometimes you just get teams that are so stacked, they just outclass other teams on the court. But as teams, they're generally not much more than a bunch of good playground ballers. Eventually those guys did turn into decent team players in the pros, but you get a sense not all of them really cared about team ball.

11. DRHJ9

May 19, 2003
    Have you ever watched the UNLV teams of 90-91?

They did not get by on skill or athleticism. They had a great coach (Tark) and bought into his shemes. They played excellent team defence and played unselfishly on offense.

They did not resemble the Fab 5 at all. I don't know where you came up with that.

12. Dal--Intrepid

Mar 13, 2002
    They played great team defense, forced turnovers, and ran. Not denying that. But when they had to run an offensive play, well . . . if they were that great at it, they'd have beaten Dook two years in a row.

13. BobaFrank

BobaFrank Jedi Youngling star 5

Jul 17, 2001
    Duke. Especially the team that beat Kentucky on the famous last second shot. Think is was 92'. Duke is still today the benchmark progam that all colleges should emulate, even though they haven't won a national title in forever.

14. DRHJ9

May 19, 2003

You are missing the point. YODA the all powerful said the 1990 UNLV Rebels...

NOT the 1991 UNLV Rebels. The loss to Duke the following year has nothing to do with the 1990 team.

15. -polymath-

-polymath- SFF:F/TV Trivia Host star 4 VIP - Game Host

Jun 7, 2007
    However, blowing out Duke by roughly 30 points does have something to do with YTAP's point. The 1990 UNLV team was an unstoppable juggernaut and certainly is worthy of GOAT status.

That said, Walton played on some great teams as did Kareem.

16. SithLordKobe

SithLordKobe Jedi Knight star 3

Jul 31, 2007
    The UCLA team that won 88 straight games = B.C.B.T.E.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.