main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Canada Best comic book shop in Canada

Discussion in 'Canada Discussion Boards' started by Entil`Zha, Sep 21, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Entil`Zha

Entil`Zha Jedi Master star 4

Jul 9, 1999
    Here's something to take our minds off the tragedies... which Comic book shop is the best in your area and why?

In Montreal, I'd have to say Captain Quebec, huge collection of Trade Paper Backs, a lot of videos, a few DVD's, great customer service, very nice people working there, always fun to discuss with them! And a huge bunch of various comics and collectibles.

2. Woofer

Woofer Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 27, 2001
    I'm not at all into comics, but I'll still put in a vote for the Silver Snail on Queen Street in Toronto.

3. Ian_Ball

Ian_Ball Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 21, 2001
    I love my comics, and hence, I love my Silver Snail

4. Han_YoungJediNiagara

Han_YoungJediNiagara Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 28, 2001
    I'd have to go with Silver Snail, despite the fact that I have to pay 15 bucks for a figure I'm gonna open as soon as I leave the store!

5. YoungJediNiagara

YoungJediNiagara RSA Emeritus FF Canada star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 23, 2001
    For those in the Niagara Region...

There is a comic book store in Fonthill, call Rob's odds and ends. He was a great guy to me and helped me greatly. He search everywhere for comics I needed, plus charged a good price.
    It's been some time since I've been to his store, (I haven?t collected in years) but his store is still there.

P.S. What did everyone collect?
    I collected from the late 70?s early 80?s: Superman, Batman, Spiderman, and some X-Men

I?m thinking about selling them, anyone interested?

6. TragicLad

TragicLad Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 29, 2000
    The Snail is nice, but I don't really consider it a comic store anymore. It's a pop-culture store at best, a toy store that carries a selection of comics at worst.

The Hairy Tarantula certainly does a good job of stocking a wide selection of comics - and would certainly be the place to go for anyone looking to buy a copy of 'Kill Dr. Lucky' - but I would have to say that, hands down, and without a question, the best store is The Beguiling.

Located in Mirvish Village, the Beguiling has been the recipient of an Eisner Award for best retailer. What amazes me most is that they sell.... comics. Not toys. Not models. Not games or snowblowers or trampelenes. They sell comics. First floor - graphic novels. Fully and completely. Second floor - individual issues and new releases. What's more - superhero comics consist of maybe, 10% of the overall stock. There is truly a comic book for everyone in this store. This is the type of store that you would be able to bring your significant(but non-comic reading) other into, heck, one that you could bring your mother into, and have them leave with an armful of comics.

Maybe if every store were like the Beguiling, the comics industry wouldn't be in the sorry state that it is.

7. Entil`Zha

Jul 9, 1999
    Young Jedi Niagara... your Superman sound interesting.. by any chance, did you collect any Green Lantern from DC Comics??

8. YoungJediNiagara

YoungJediNiagara RSA Emeritus FF Canada star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 23, 2001
    Only the few that crossed over into the Superman stories.
    I think there was one or two during the Doomsday/Death of Superman story.

9. Launch

Launch Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 27, 2001
    comics......sorry, dont collect em, but i do love superman!! hes awesome, i have the superman logo tattooed, (its small like from here to here

to here
    ith fills the whole,) on my ankle

10. TragicLad

TragicLad Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 29, 2000
    forgot to mention what I read (very quickly learned that comics are meant to be read, not collected):

Started off with the McFarlane Spider-Man. From Spidey I moved into all corners of the Marvel Universe (FF, Hulk, X-Men, etc. etc.)

Was getting tired of the whole super-hero schtick when I came across Cerebus and was introduced to the wonderful world of independant comics. Patty Cake, Hepcats, Bone, A Distant Soil, Wandering Star, Strangehaven... all that good stuff.

By the time I started to publish my own comic, I was getting into the DC comics by British authors -- Watchmen, V for Vendetta, Swamp Thing, the Sandman. I was also beginning to discover the wide world of Manga -- Ranma ½, Sanctuary, Akira, and of course Nausicaa of the Valley Wind.

While publishing, I became friends wit a lot of other comics folk like M'oak who does Thieves & Kings as well as Greg & Stephen who do Xeno's Arrow.

Now-a-days, I've sort of become attracted to the potential that the internet has as a form of distribution for comics. Sort of a Scott McCloud groupie.

11. Launch

Launch Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 27, 2001
    sorry, that post didnt make sense, the words didnt stay where i put them sorry

12. Entil`Zha

Jul 9, 1999
    I read Superman, now I'm collecting Green Lantern, The Spectre (from DC) and from Wildstorm, there are a few, The Authority, which I recommend!! One of the best comic I've ever read! Also Astro City has a good story.

By J.M. Straczinsky, there's Midnight Nation and Rising Stars

13. mcgee3

mcgee3 Jedi Youngling

Oct 19, 2001
    I have been to all those shops mentioned in the greater Toronto area and they are pretty good. The Snail, the Grey Legion and the ol' Dragon Lady.
    But I think the best store of them all is Excalibur Comics on Bloor St in the Royal York area. It is a small but friendly shop and they have everything you could ask for. And the comics are crisp and clean like they just rolled off the press. And as for the owner Rob? Well........you could not ask for a nicer guy to take your money.

14. LawgSkrak

LawgSkrak Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 23, 1999
    Yeah the Silver Snail in Toronto rocks!

15. TALIESINWEST

TALIESINWEST Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 12, 2000
    Out here in Vancouver we've got 2 really great shops: Golden Age Collectibles downtown on Granville St. and The Comic Shop in Kitsilano on West 4th.

Both carry a wide selection of independant and mainstream stuff. They also support local micro publishers, which is very cool!

16. Ian_Ball

Ian_Ball Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 21, 2001
    speaking of comics, did anyone catch ANH infinities? or tag & BInk? from darkhorse?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.