main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Best Console Multiplayer Games

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by Double_Sting, Aug 1, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Double_Sting

Double_Sting Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 18, 2001
    My purpose in creating this thread is to hear from others about the best console multiplayer games that are out there.

You know for when you have three friends come over and you want to play some multiplayer gaming and so you decide to hit the blockbuster and find a game.

So what are the best console multiplayer games that you know of?

Keep in mind that generally the ones with the lower learning curve or co-operative play are best. For example take Halo. Great multiplay but it doesn't work well when one person is an expert at the game. They'll just kick everyone's rear and it's not that much fun.

But take a game like NHL Hitz. Since you can all play on the same team it doesn't matter if one of you is really good and two of you suck. You're all on the same side so it is more fun than say Halo from above.

Given that, here are some that I found to be excellent choices:

NHL Hitz
    multiple systems, 3 player max
    What makes NHL Hitz so much fun is that first of all three of you can play on the same team. Add in bone crushing hits, fiery slapshots, brilliant graphics and all the extras that you have come to expect from Midway - and you get Hitz. If you liked NBA Jam I guarantee you will like this game. As a final plus it doesn't have that steep of a learning curve either - you can just pick up the controller and play.

Hunter: The Reckoning
    x-box, 4 player max
    Just picked this up from Blockbuster last weekend when some friends were coming over and it is a blast! Think Resident Evil with 4 players fighting together. Basically you have to hack and slash your way through a ton of zombies and other creatures from the underworld.

2. Jedi_Johnson

Jedi_Johnson Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 6, 2002
  3. bliv

bliv Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 23, 2002
    Super Smash Bros Melee (GC) - Good fun and new players can get into it's easy control system right away. Lots of characters, lots of stages. Good for a laugh in 4 player.

Perfect Dark (N64) - I like this better tahn Goldeneye because it has tons of options. Lots of play modes, plenty maps and lots of guns. The good thing about it is new players can change their handicap to allow players of all skill levels to have a good fair game.

Mario Kart or Diddy Kong Racing (N64) - Can't choose between them but they were both on par as great racers in multiplayer mode.

I have a PS2 as well but I can't think of any decent multiplayer games. I don't know anyone with an X-Box either so I can only speak up for the N64 and Gamecube.

4. DUM-4

DUM-4 Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 19, 1999
    N64: Goldeneye, WWF No Mercy
    SNES: Super Bomberman
    X-Box: Halo, DOA3
    GCN: SSB Melee

Edit: Can't believe I forgot Mario Kart for the N64.

5. -_-_-_-_-_-

-_-_-_-_-_- Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 28, 2002
    I most go with the original here folks

Goldeneye - *sigh*, Who can forget those fun filled multiplayer games of running through the facility, gunning down your friends in the bathroom, and trying to shoot that damn midget guy.

6. Riku

Riku Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 9, 2002
    You've already mentioned GoldenEye, I won't speak about it anymore... But one other N64 game...

Mario Kart
    The best racing game ever, and the multiplayer battles was so entertaining, that we used to play for hours with my pals! And then we changed to GoldenEye. :D

7. SoloCommand

SoloCommand Manager Emeritus & GTA Coruscant Developer star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 15, 2001
    Phantasy Star Online - Natch.

Ooh, and Secret Of Mana on the SNES.

8. crazylegs1138

crazylegs1138 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 12, 2002
    SSX Tricky has a small learning curve. After playing it for a week, a friend of mine beat me on his first race :)

9. Jedi_Nailbiter

Jedi_Nailbiter Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 22, 2000
    Any SSB, most sports games, most Bond games.

10. Jirin_Raman

Jirin_Raman Jedi Master star 4

Apr 6, 2002
    Halo
    Fire Pro Wrestling D
    Tennis 2K2
    Fuzion Frenzy
    NFL2K2
    WWF No Mercy
    Power Stone 2

11. tenorjedi

tenorjedi Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 17, 2000
    1. Halo
    2. Mario Kart 64

I've played alot of fun multi-player but those 2 are the best of the best on console. BTW Diddy Kong uhh.....sucked

12. TheWampas1138

TheWampas1138 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 2, 2002
    Timesplitters for the PS2 is pretty good. No real "story" in the story line, but getting four people together in it is cool, especially since unlike Halo, you can include bots and the like.

Of course, I would also recommend Halo. Like Timesplitters and Perfect Dark it supports two player cooperative mode. And it has a lot of nice features for other multiplayer games. Plus vehicles can be fun.

Gauntlet (any), Baldurs Gate (PS2 currently but there is an X-box version on the way) and Hunter: The Reckoning (X-box) make for great multiplayer party traveling.

13. rich_meister

rich_meister Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 22, 2002
    Perfect Dark, SSB Melee.

14. Jeff 42

Jeff 42 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 14, 1998
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.