main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Best Delivered Line in the Saga

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by ThrawnRocks, Jun 16, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NILOC

NILOC Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 20, 2006
    I always liked the way Palpatine says to Anakin "I know whats been troubling you" I don't know why.

2. mrp78

mrp78 Jedi Master

Jun 13, 2005
    For me, the best delivered lines are all in one scene, my favourite in the saga:

" I cannot teach him. The boy has no patience"
    " He will learn patience"
    " Much anger in him ... like his father"
    " Was I any different when you taught me?"

The reason? Look at those lines above - nothing special, but when performed (especially by Alec Guniness) you have one of the most magical scenes in the saga. Yoda is transformed in two lines from the silly, jokey creature that we are first introduced to into the wise, powerful and haunted Jedi Master. The relationship between a glove puppet and a voice over appears so genuine that you never question it. A masterclass from Alec Guiness.

I also love Ian McDiarmid's "I am the senate" from ROTS. Palpatine's contempt for the senate and his realisation that the time for subterfuge is over allows his true voice to emerge. Marvellous.

3. Anakinlover89

Anakinlover89 Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 3, 2006
    Episode 1: "Wipe them out, all of them!"
    Episode 2: "We came to rescue you" "Good Job"
    Episode 3: "Your turning her against me!"
    Episode 4: "Who's the more foolish the fool or the one who follow"
    Episode 5: "Laugh it up fuzzball"
    Eoisode 6: "Then my father is truly dead"

4. _dArTh_SoLo

_dArTh_SoLo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 11, 2002
    I won't lose you the way I lost my mother. I am becoming more powerful than any Jedi has ever dreamed of, and I'm doing it for you...to protect you.

5. Brandon Rhea

Brandon Rhea Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 26, 2004
    TPM: Always two, there are. No more, no less. A master and an apprentice...

AOTC: This is just the beginning!

ROTS: And so it is...

ANH: I want to learn the ways of the Force and become a Jedi like my father.

TESB: That is why you fail.

ROTJ: Now, young Skywalker...you will die.

6. Anagorn

Anagorn Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 3, 2003
    Episode I: "The boy is dangerous. The all sense it. Why can´t you?"

Episode II: "Qui-Gon Jinn would never have joined you."

Episode III: "You were my brother Anakin."

Episode IV: "The force will be with you. Always."

Episode V: "So was I if you remember."

Episode VI: "You´re insight serves you well."

Obi-Wan Kenobi is the man and Ewan McGregor
    and Alec Guiness are two of the best
    actors ever seen!

7. lenny76

lenny76 Jedi Youngling

Dec 8, 2003
    Power! UN-LI-MI-TED POWER!

I had been hoping for a Palpatine moment like this all through the prequels. And George did it.

8. jedi_master_gon

jedi_master_gon Jedi Youngling

Feb 21, 2006
    "Then the Emperor has already won.."

9. AvaVisarra

AvaVisarra Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 22, 2006
    "Never. I'll never turn to the Dark Side. You've failed, your highness. I am a Jedi, like my father before me." Luke Skywalker, ROTJ

This line has always awed me. No matter how many times I hear Luke utter it, it still makes me get chills. it's so powerful.

10. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    "This is the end for you... my, Masterrr."

He knew it...

Kenobi knew it...

Vader just didn't DO it!

11. JFuchs77

JFuchs77 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 5, 2006
    All of them
    1. May the Force be with you.
    2. I have a bad feeling about this.

For the prequels

The Phantom Menace
    1. You hear that? Yea. That is the sound of a thousand terrible things headed this way. If they find us, they will crush us, grind us into tiny pieces and blast us into complete oblivion.
    2. What yet? Monstares out dere, leakin' in here, all sinkin' and no power?! Whena yousa tinken wesa in trouble?!
    3. At last we will reveal ourselves to the Jedi. At last we will have revenge.
    4. Anakin Skywalker meet Obi-Wan Kenobi.
    5. The council have granted me permission to train you Anakin. You will be a Jedi Anakin. I promise.

Attack of the Clones
    1. I will not let or allow this Republic that has been standing for more than a thousand years to be split in two. My negotiations will not fail.
    2. You seem a little on edge. Not at all.
    3. This is why I hate flying.
    4. Anakin do you copy? This is Obi-Wan Kenobi.
    5. It's all Obi-Wan's fault!
    6. You love me? I thought we decided to not fall in love.
    7. I don't really think so.
    8. Master Windu. How pleasant of you to join us. This party's over.
    9. You call this a diplomatic solution? No. I call it aggressive negotiations.
    10. Much to learn you still have.
    11. Begun the Clone War has.

Revenge of the Sith
    1. You won't get away this time Dooku.
    2. My powers have doubled since the last ever time we met Dooku.
    3. It is only natural. He cut off your arm and you wanted revenge. That wasn't the first time Anakin. Remember what you told me about your mother and the Sand People?
    4. General Grievous. You're shorter than I expected.
    5. The end of Count Dooku will surely bring an end to the war. But apparently the fighting will continue until General Grievous is nothing but spare parts.
    6. Anakin, I'm pregnant.
    7. We're not going to worry about anything right now.
    8. But the loss of Count Dooku. His death was a necessary loss. Soon I will have a new apprentice. One far younger and more powerful.
    9. Careful you must be when sensing the future Anakin.
    10. Be careful of your friend Palpatine.
    11. Go I will. Good relations with the Wookiees I have.
    12. Anakin our allegiance is to the senate, not at all to its leader who has managed to stay in office long after his term has expired.
    13. Without Count Dooku, I have doubts about your ability to keep us all safe.
    14. Hello There.
    15. I've been trained in your Jedi arts by Count Dooku.
    16. I sense a plot to destroy the Jedi.
    17. You're the Sith lord.
    18. Know the power of the dark side. Power to save Padme.
    19. I think Chancellor Palpatine is a Sith Lord. A Sith Lord? Yes, the one we've been looking for.
    20. The Force is strong with you. A powerful Sith you will become. Henceforth, you shall be known as Darth Vader.
    21. Every single Jedi, including your friend, Obi-Wan Kenobi, is now an enemy for the Republic.
    22. Execute Order 66.
    23. Goodbye Tarrful, Goodbye Chewbacca.
    24. Senator Organa, my clone troops turned on me. I need help. We have just rescued Master Yoda. It appears this ambush on the Jedi has happened everywhere.
    25. It can't be.
    26. Destroy the Sith we must Obi-Wan. Send me to kill the emperor. I will not kill Anakin. To fight Emperor Palpatine strong enough you are not Obi-Wan.
    27. The boy that you trained gone he is. Consumed by Darth Vader.
    28. Palpatine is the Sith lord we've been looking for. After the death of Count Dooku, Anakin became his new apprentice.
    29. Only a Sith deals in absolutes.
    30. You will try.
    31. I have failed you Anakin. I have failed you. I should've known the Jedi were plotting to take over. Anakin, Emperor Palpatine is evil! From what I see the Jedi are evil! Well then you are lost!
    32. You were the chosen one!
    33. You were my brother Anakin. I loved you.
    34. Safe the children must be kept.
    35. I'll take Baby Luke with me to Tatooine and watch over him.

Now guess who said these lines.

12. Blue_Jedi33

Blue_Jedi33 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 12, 2003
    ANH Vader "I find your lack of faith disturbing"

TESB Vader "No I am your Father,.... together we can end this destructive conflict" (as he clinchs his fist and you can hear the leather glove closing)

ROTJ Luke "Never!" (throws his lightsabre down) Ties with Ackbar "Its a trap!"

TPM Sidious "Wipe them out, all of them"

AOTC Dooku "Master Kenobi.....surely you can do better"

ROTS Anakin/Vader "You will try"

13. DarkPrince

DarkPrince Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 10, 2005
    ~~TPM~~

Obi-Wan- "You were right about one thing master. The negotiations were short."

Just some humor that I love about Obi-Wan. Most of my favorite lines are from him. I love the other characters as well, but I think Obi-Wan deserves the most credit for taking on Anakin and training a boy who should have never been accepted by the council because he was too old and though his midi-chlorian count was as high as ever, the boy's emotions were not stable, they were in conflict. Not much else from TPM stands out for me.

~~AOTC~~

Anakin " I transmitted the message just as you requested Master. Then we decided to come and rescue you."

Obi-Wan **looks at cuffs** "Good job."

Some more humor, nothing stands out for me at the moment, I haven't seen AOTC in a while, so forgive me.

~~ROTS~~

Obi-Wan: "Anakin, my alligance is to the Republic! To democracy!!!

I also loved that whole exchange between Obi-Wan and Anakin before their final duel. You really get to see the hate and anger inside Anakin and the sadness deep in Obi-Wan. The whole sequence and fight were powerful and moving.

~~ANH~~

Obi-Wan: "I was once a Jedi Knight and so was your father."

IMO, this is probably the best scene in all 6 movies. Obi-Wan introduces Luke to the world of the Jedi as Luke learns of his fathers past and how he died. He has yet to realize that Vader is actually his father.

~~ESB~~

Yoda: "That is why you failed."

Master Yoda was incredible here, and took Luke under his wing, trying to teach him the ways of the Jedi as best he can. however, Luke starts to get arrogant and is not believing in himself. Yoda shows us how it's done gets Luke to realize that you cannot give up so easy.

~~ROTJ~~

Nothing stands out for me, unfortunately.

14. geo_gnosis

geo_gnosis Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 4, 2006
    RotJ: "It is...too late, for me, son." (Darth Vader)

I always thought the scene where Luke has that pre-Emperor, heart-to-heart chat with his father, was very well done. Luke's been going on about how there's still good in Vader, but when Vader gives that line, spoken with just the right inflection of resignation and despair---you KNOW that Luke's right. There IS still something good left in Vader.

Actually, I think I'd have to say that just about EVERY line that comes from the majestic voice of James Earl Jones is well delivered. Is it even POSSIBLE to imagine any other voice as Darth Vader? I can't.

15. Lord_NoONE

Lord_NoONE Jedi Master star 5

Dec 17, 2001
    I'm fond of Han Solo's line in ANH right before Luke leaves to attack the Death Star. It sums everything up. Han looks at Luke and says, "May the Force be with you." Luke nods and walks away. It's a powerful moment for me because it shows that Han, the arrogant scoundrel he is, understands what Luke is doing. Even though Han hasn't reconciled himself to helping Luke out and getting involving in the "little revolution" he is more perceptive than Luke has given him credit. It shows a depth to Han Solo's character that we hadn't seen up to that point.

:D

16. JFuchs77

Mar 5, 2006
    A New Hope
    1. Bring me the passengers. I want all of them alive!
    2. Help me Obi-Wan Kenobi. You're my only hope.
    3. Hello there.
    4. Ben? Ben Kenobi? Boy am I glad to see you.
    5. Hello I am C-3PO human-cyborg relations
    6. I was once a Jedi Knight exactly the same as your father.
    7. It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
    8. For over a thousand generations the Jedi Knights were the guardians of peace and justice in the old Republic. Before the dark times, before the Empire.
    9. A young Jedi by the name of Darth Vader, who was a pupil of mine until he turned to evil, helped the Empire hunt down and also destroy the Jedi knights. He betrayed and murdered your father. Now the Jedi are all but extinct. Darth Vader had been seduced by the dark side of the Force.
    10. I find the lack of your faith disturbing.
    11. I want to learn the ways of the Force and become a Jedi like my father.
    12. You don't need to see his identification.
    13. Chewie get us outta here.
    14. I've forgotten how much I hate space travel.
    15. Governor Tarkin. I should've expected to find you holding Darth Vader's leash. I recognized your foul stench when I was brought on board.
    16. I felt a great disturbance in the Force.
    17. I could almost see the remote. That's good. You've taken your first step into a larger world.
    18. That's no moon. It's a space station.
    19. Chewie lock in the auxilary power!
    20. Luke we're gonna have company!
    21. I'm Luke Skywalker, I'm here to rescue you.
    22. Great kid now don't get cocky!
    23. Use the Force Luke.
    24. I've lost R2!
    25. Remember, the Force will be with you. Always.

Now guess who said these lines.

17. Gangsta_Jawa_

Gangsta_Jawa_ Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 24, 2006
    "Hootini!"

18. Shadow_of_Evil

Shadow_of_Evil Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 18, 2001
    Sorry but I'm going to have to be a tag along and say:
    "No... I am your father"

Perfect emphasis on "I".
    Love it.

19. arabiansanchez

arabiansanchez Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2001
    Definitely a Palpatine line. I think Ian McDiarmid delivers the vast majority of his lines superbly.

"Now they will elect a new Chancellor. A strong chancellor, one who will not let our tragedy continue."

"...the situation is that serious. No, but I do Senator. I realise all too well additional security might be disruptive for you, but...perhaps someone you are famillair with. An old friend like...Master Kenobi! :)"

"Unfortunately, he taught his apprentice everything he knew- then his apprentice killed him in his sleep.[face_mischief]It's ironic. he could save others from death, but NOT himself :)"

"The attempt on my life...has left me scarred and deformed. BUT I assure you, My RESOLVE has NEVER BEEN STRONGER!"

"In order to ensure the security and continuing stability, The Republic, will be reorganised into THE FIRST GALACTIC...EMPIRE! For SAFE and SECURE society."

"Your faith in your friends is yours!"

"Oh, I'm afraid the deflector shield will be quite operational...when your friends arrive. o_O

20. GeneralDooku

GeneralDooku Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 9, 2005
    The Phantom Menace "At last we will reveal ourselves to the Jedi, at last we will have revenge"

Attack of the Clones "Master Kenobi, you dissapoint me, Yoda holds you in such high esteem"

Revenge of the Sith Everything Palpatine says, highlights include:
    "I have waited a long time for this moment, my little green friend"
    "Once more the Sith will rule the galaxy, and we shall have peace"
    "Your arrogance blinds you Master Yoda, now you will experience the full power of the darkside"
    "The darkside of the force is a pathway to many abilities some consider to be unnatural"

A New Hope"No, were all fine here, just fine. How are you?" lol

The Empire Strikes Back"If you only knew the power of the darkside!"

Return of the Jedi "Young fool, only now at the end do you understand"

21. Only_Wan_Kenobi

Only_Wan_Kenobi Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 10, 2005
    When Yoda talks about the force after Luke failed to lift his ship.

22. JFuchs77

Mar 5, 2006
    The Empire Strikes Back
    1. Afraid I was gonna leave without giving you a goodbye kiss? I'd rather kiss a wookiee. I can arrange that. You could use a good kiss!
    2. Oh Switch Off.
    3. Don't do this Luke. Come on give me a sign here.
    4. Laugh it up fuzzball.
    5. Oh you stuck-up half-witted scruffy-looking nerf-herder!
    6. Who's real scruffy-looking.
    7. Chewie take care of yourself.
    8. Echo Station 57 we're on our way.
    9. We're going to the Dagobah System.
    10. The possibility of successfully navigating an asteroid field is approximately 3,720 to 1. Never tell me the odds.
    11. You were lucky to get out of there.
    12. Captain being held by just you isn't quite enough to get me excited.
    13. Now all I gotta do is find this Yoda if he even exists. It's really a strange place to find a Jedi Master.
    14. I feel just like- Feel just like what? Like we're being watched! Away put your weapon! I mean you no harm.
    15. Found someone you have.
    16. I'm not looking for a friend, I'm looking for a Jedi master.
    17. Oh, Jedi master. Yoda. You seek Yoda.
    18. Scoundrel? I like the sound of that.
    19. I cannot ever teach this boy.
    20. He can learn patience.
    21. I can be a Jedi! Ben tell him I'm ready.
    22. For 800 years have I trained Jedi.
    23. This is no cave!
    24. Your weapons, you will not need them.
    25. Bounty Hunters. We don't need their scum.
    26. No Disintegrations. As you wish.
    27. No lightspeed?
    28. You must unlearn what you have learned.
    29. No. Try Not. Do or do not only. There is no try.
    30. I don't believe it. That is the reason you fail.
    31. Apology accepted Captain Needa.
    32. You must learn control!
    33. I'm trying to reach Lando Calrissian.
    34. We go way back. Lando and me.
    35. I feel the force.
    36. That boy is our last hope. No, there is another.
    37. We would be honored if you would join us.
    38. You may take Captain Solo to Jabba the Hutt after I have Skywalker. He's no good to me dead. He will not be permenantly damaged.
    39. That was never a part of our agreement, nor was giving Han to this bounty hunter.
    40. What if he doesn't survive? He's worth a lot only to me. The Empire will compensate you if he dies.
    41. The Force is woth you young Skywalker. But you are not a Jedi yet.
    42. You'll find I'm full of surprises.
    43. No, I am your father.

Now Guess who said these lines.

23. JFuchs77

Mar 5, 2006
    From Return of the Jedi
    1. Darth Vader this is an unexpected pleasure. We're honored by just your presence. You may dispense with the pleasantries Commander. I'm here to put you back on schedule. I assure you Lord Vader, my men are working as fast as they can. Perhaps I can find new kinds of ways to motivate them. I tell you the station will be operational as planned. The emperor does not share your optimistic appraisal of the situation. But he asks for the impossible, I need more men. Then perhaps you can tell him when he arrives. The emperor's coming here? Yes, that is correct Commander and he is most displeased with your apparent lack of progress. We shall double our efforts. I hope so Commander for your sake. The emperor is not as forgiving as I am.
    2. Greeting Exalted One. Allow me to introduce myself. I am Luke Skywalker. Jedi knight and friend to Captain Solo.
    3. This can't be right! R2-D2, you're playing the wrong message.
    4. At last we have the mighty Chewbacca.
    5. 50,000. No less.
    6. Just relax for a moment. You're free from the carbonite. You have hibernation sickness. I can't see. Your eyesight will return in time. Where am I? Jabba's palace. Who are you? Someone who loves you. Leia.
    7. I must speak with Jabba. Shh Es tosit. Jabba no tusen di hokabi. No bargain. You will take me to Jabba now. Atuta kabu Jabba now. You serve your master well. A sota vanlocha. Also you will be rewarded. A chunoh ayo ahtot.
    8. Master. Gappa nopez Luke Skywalker Jedi Knight. I told you to not admit him.
    9. There will be no bargain young Jedi.
    10 Oh no! The rancor!
    11. Bring me Solo and the Wookiee. They will all suffer for this outrage.
    12. 3PO you tell that slimy piece of worm-ridden filth that he'll get no such pleasure from us. Right? Jabba this is your last chance, free us or die.
    13. Put him in.
    14. Easy Chewie.
    15. Boba Fett? Where?
    16. Grab it...Almost you almost got.
    17. Chewie give me the gun. Don't move Lando. Hey wait, I thought you were blind! It's all right. I can see a lot better. Don't move.
    18. I'll meet you back with the fleet. Hurry. The Alliance should be assembled by now. I will. Hey Luke thanks. Thanks for coming after me. Now I owe you one.
    19. Rise my friend. The Death Star will be completed on schedule. You've done well Darth Vader, and now I sense you wish to continue your search for Young Skywalker.
    20. Everything is proceeding as I have forseen.
    21. When 900 years old you reach, look as good you will not hmmm?
    22. No more training do you require. Already know you that which you need. Then I am a Jedi. Not yet Luke. One thing remains. Darth Vader. You must confront Darth Vader. Then only then, a Jedi will you be.
    23. Master Yoda, is Darth Vader my father. Rest I need. Yes. Rest. Master Yoda I must know. Your father he is. Told you did he? Yes. Unexpected this is, and unfortunate. Unfortunate that I know the truth? No. Unfortunate that you rushed to face him, that incomplete was all your Jedi training, that not ready for the burden were you. I'm sorry. Remember, the strength of a Jedi flows from the Force. But beware. Anger, fear, aggression. The dark side are they. Once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny. Luke. Luke, do not underestimate the powers of the emperor or suffer your father's fate you will. Terrible it will be.
    24. Luke, there... is... another... Skywalker.
    25. Yoda will always be with you. Obi-Wan. Why didn't you tell me Ben? You told me Darth Vader betrayed and murdered my father. Your father got seduced by the dark side of the Force. He ceased to be Anakin Skywalker and then became Darth Vader. When that happened, the good man who was your father was destroyed. So what I told you was true... from a certain point of view.
    26. There still is good in him. He's more machine now than man twisted and evil. I can't do it Ben. You cannot escape your destiny Luke. You must face Darth Vader again. I can't kill my own father. Then the emperor has already won. You were our only hope to bring forth the Return of the Jedi. Yoda spoke of an

24. Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon

Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 17, 2000
    Count me outta dis one. Better dead here, than dead in the core. Ye gads! What-a meesa saying?

Yippee!!

You've grown up.

You're breaking my heart!

25. Darth_Tweakpiece

Darth_Tweakpiece Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 11, 2005
    The Ewoks had the best lines of dialogue in the entire saga...They were AWESOME!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.