main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Best Fan Film

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by JediKnightOfTheForce, Aug 3, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi_Cougar

Jedi_Cougar Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 14, 2001
    Ok, the reason I come to these boards and have seen all the fanfilms on TFN is because I love seeing starwars brought to life in any way, shape or form.

I am not married to this site and will watch any fanfilm wherever it may be found (however TFN fanfilms seems to have the best as far as fanfilms go :))

Where can I find Iron Fist of the Obsidian Sith

I want to see this film. That tripod link does not work. any help?

2. Bobobear

Bobobear Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 8, 2002
    huh...funny how everyone else BUT tumble likes the movie: hmmm, can you still smell a bitter newbie?

As I recall (yes, just because I signed on the boards late I've been around...ask Golden-y) you're insistence to use MAX and meshsmooth your models 7 times and your refusal to listen otherwise might suggest to others just *how* high quality your work actually was. Get a life!

Besides, hundreds of hours of rotoscoping doesn't count as high quality work. They only HAD one light sabre in that dual scene *jeez!*

Stop preaching as if you're this great FX god. Anyway, it's time to end this little fight...sigh...as IF people can be duped THAT easily.

3. Rotfuxx

Rotfuxx Jedi Youngling

Aug 7, 2002
    Duality - good fx
    BA and Dark Redemption - little but good story

But my real favorite is tydirium. the trailer is the best i have seen and the story fits to the OT.

4. Lord_Rive

Lord_Rive TFN Fan Films Staff star 4 VIP

Jun 29, 2000
    Bobobear and Tumble: Let's not get to pointing fingers, okay? I don't want to have to lock the thread, as it's one of the first times we've ever had a thread of this nature get this far without a meltdown.

As I mentioned before, there must certainly reasons that IFOTOS has been pulled off the web. This might just be one of them. And while it may (or may not) be to the chagrin of a lot of people who haven't seen the film, it's probably a good idea to let the whole thing rest.

5. DorkmanScott

DorkmanScott Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    Well, despite his reticence to talk about the film, I went over to Golden_Y's pad yesterday and he showed me IFOTOS...

WOW.

I mean, even from...what, two years ago, this is an INCREDIBLE film.

The fighting was amazing, the dialogue wasn't bad (I mean, I'll take "You may know fear, but I know your weakness" over "You are in my very soul, tormenting me" any day), and the CG, for the time and apparent usage of the freeware Blender, was most impressive.

Dave, I can totally see where the connections between Duality and Iron Fist came from. I mean, in the middle of the fight you both had something jumping in shooting at the combatants.

Granted, you had seekers and they had fighters swooping in from the sky (which actually bore a resemblance to the Sith Terminator, IIRC--I can't believe I only let myself see it once!), but still, the similarity is there.

Plus the bluescreening in a few shots preceded your full-blown all-CG.

I loved how they beat the crap out of each other to knock the saber from each others hands and deflecting off the laser bolts. I'm not sure if a lightsaber could handle bolts from an actual fighter craft like that, but it's a canon violation I'm willing to forgive for the sheer AWESOME factor.

And yes, when the fight moved to the log over the ravine...just incredible.

I have to get Golden to send it to me when I'm on a high-speed connection again in September ( :_| I can't wait that long!).

If I were you, Dave, I'd be proud to be associated with a film of this caliber, not upset.

Though the lightsabers left something to be desired. But hey, no fan film is PERFECT.

M. Scott

6. crutag-ventor

crutag-ventor Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 29, 2002
    You tease me with your words! ;)

7. Vidman

Vidman Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 18, 2001
    For gods sake someone put these slathering fanboys out of their misery...

?[face_plain]

8. TheRealFennShysa

TheRealFennShysa TFN FanFilms Staff star 4 VIP

Oct 7, 2000
    To be honest, I'd forgotten completely about this film... I was shown a bootleg of it at SDCC this last weekend, and I was amazed.... it was like nothing I'd ever seen before...

And Rive, I do'nt care what Sinclair Ross or his gang said about you... I don't seen any major similarities in DUALITY... it's just jealousy on their part...

Fenn

9. Lord_Rive

Lord_Rive TFN Fan Films Staff star 4 VIP

Jun 29, 2000
    Well, regarding any similarity to the Sith Terminator, bear in mind that the ship was one of the first things that we designed for Duality -- about thirteen months before the film was released, and was shown in the Duality trailer a full seven months before we released (and before IFOTOS came out). So if Sinclair wants to make an issue out of that, he can choke on it for all I care. ;)

Kidding -- actually, I wish Sinclair all the best. His work shows great potential, and I think he could go far on a professional level if he really wants to.

10. Golden-Y

Golden-Y Jedi Grand Master star 3

Nov 18, 2000
    Crap, what booth was it? I probably missed it. Why do I find out about these things too late?

11. Lunatic_Pandora1

Lunatic_Pandora1 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 14, 2002
    wow, i love readin all this stuff about "dredgin up the past" and what-not like millions of lives were lost in a war over a fan film. that rules.

anyway, what i wanted to say was

"People think I 'borrowed' the name Calis for BA but if you are able to check the end credits for IFOTOS, you'll see the spelling is 'Kalyss' even though the pronounciation is the same."

When i watched the movie...I thought the name "Calis" was a reference to "Kahless" who is sort of like the Jesus of the Klingons for those of you who dont watch Star Trek.

[edit] alright...so i'm sittin here readin though this again...and i know this is staryin off topic, but i won't be the first....i'm wonderin, how is it that a fan film came to cause so much controversy that it got pulled off the interweb? [end edit]

12. DaftMaul

DaftMaul Former TFN Fan Films Staff star 5 VIP

Feb 18, 2001
    I managed to score an IFOTOS badge while I was at ComicCon...

And to answer the original question, Duality all the way. The art direction in that movie is in a league of it's own (IMHO)

13. MoffJake

MoffJake Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 24, 2001
    For gods sake someone put these slathering fanboys out of their misery...

I second that! Someone needs to upload this to a stable site immediatly. While I had the fortune of seeing Iron Fist when it came out, there are plenty of people here who should see IFOTOS. To those of you who were smart enough to save it to hard disk - please do us all a favor and upload it ASAP. You will be remembered for your generosity.

14. Darth_Bone

Darth_Bone Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 29, 2001
    Visual Effects= Duality/BA/Knightquest

acting= bounty trail

humor=troops

15. Shadow_of_Evil

Shadow_of_Evil Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 18, 2001
    nah.. i havn't seen BA or formula. but i reckon AQOF had good acting. But i didn't want to post that cause i though people would go on about the fact that all the dialouge was dubed over. Im hoping to see BA soon.

16. closedbolt

closedbolt Jedi Youngling

Jul 31, 2002
    I wanna see Iron Fist before I have to smash some coconuts.

No, I really live on a coconut farm and smashing season's right around the corner. What did you think I meant........

17. crutag-ventor

crutag-ventor Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 29, 2002
    Aren?t we all friends here? One Fan Film member to another, please post the move somewhere.

18. Tri-Som_Gare

Tri-Som_Gare Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 22, 2000
    I did not know there was a booth for that at the Con? I guess that what happnes when you walk 2 aisles and stop to talk to someone for 45 minutes at a time! ;)

I used to have alomost every fan film and trailer ever put on the web. Then my drive crashed and they all went bye bye :( I dont remember this one for some reason. I would like to see it to. And oh yeah, PTH to would be nice :p now that I have had the silent tour!

19. -Morpheus-

-Morpheus- Jedi Youngling

Aug 8, 2002
    Do you think that is a real fanfilm you're talking about?

20. anakin_sky

anakin_sky Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 13, 2001
    I dont know why somebody wont post it. I really want to see this film. It sounds awesome.

21. DarthArjuna

DarthArjuna Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 14, 2002
    Actually, looking over Duality again, you notice a bit of acting- a little dialogue, great facial expressions of Lord Rive. Though for plot I'd hand it over to Knightquest (thought Tydirium's trying hard to wrest that away).

And for humor, Two-ness. Another tribute to Duality is that it was parodied by this. Can't beat that.

You have passed your evil test...

22. WhisperingDeath

WhisperingDeath Jedi Padawan star 4

May 25, 2002
    Nah, I thought the acting in KnightsQuest was why I didn't like it. The guy padawan was overacting so much it made me roll my eyes every time he got on screen :( .

I can't really think of the best 'acted' fanfilm, if anything I would say 'the formula' or maybe 'AQOF'. But in Fan Films the writing is 75% of the acting since very few people have trained actors on their set. Just people who watch movies, want to make them with a lot of enthusiasm, and don't know how to hit a mark. :(

23. Lukesfilm

Lukesfilm Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 17, 2002
    "But in Fan Films the writing is 75% of the acting...."

The TESBY Mockumentary only had 25% acting as it didn't even have a script, it was improvised! ;)

24. Semaj Ovured

Semaj Ovured Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2000
    Well I guess I have to say it ... ROGUE, man, ROGUE!

Come on guys, give Jake Dinn a little love! :D

After that, I have to say that my personal favorite is Troops. Always has been. Third place ... though not necessarily a "fan film," per se, but is about fan films ... THE FORMULA. There's some real acting in that baby!

25. DarkLord_Tyrannus

DarkLord_Tyrannus Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 9, 2002
    Knightquest, part 2 and 3 of the 1 movie.

This was great for being a fan film, the lightsaber scenes were decent. The acting was SUB PAR, none the less certain scenes had great acting that made up for it.

Showing darth vader in his pre NEW HOPE stage, hunting down and killing the JEDI was awesome, He dominated and that is the darth vader we have come to love.

Broken Alligence comes in a close second. But one of those should have died also. And a battle with VADER would have made it great. They would have both been crushed, since Vader of course is the greatest of all JEDI. NO ONE CAN BEAT HIM!!! Luke got lucky!

I do not like FAN FILMS that do not have the original star wars charecters at least the main point of the story. Sorry but watching those two jedis in broken allegiance battle that bounty hunter with a light saber is just not my bag baby!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.