Hawaii Best / fave philosophical quote from Yoda

Discussion in 'Pacific Regional Discussion' started by DARTH-OSIRUS, Jun 9, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DARTH-OSIRUS Jedi Padawan

So what is everyone favorite philosophical quote from Yoda? As we all know, his quotes play a big part in the SW chapters.....

"Death is a natural part of life. Rejoice for those around you who transform into the Force. Mourn them do not. Miss them do not. Attachment leads to jealously. The shadow of greed, that is."

Geez, it almost sounds religous.....

D.O.
  2. mac-nut Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Do or don't do; there is no try. or something to that effect. [face_thinking]
  3. The___ Jedi Knight

star 3
    "How feel you?" --Yoda, TPM

So philosophical. So deep.

Kidding. I hate that line.

My favorite would be that whole speech he gives Luke about getting the X-Wing out of the swamp. From "Judge me by my size, do you?" to "...Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter!" and finally to "...That is why you fail."
  4. 808Jedi Jedi Padawan

Empire Strikes Back has most of the best Yoda quotes, here is one.

On Dagobah, Yoda is training Luke about the Force. R2D2 starts beeping like crazy. Luke's X-wing starts to sink. Luke makes a weak attempt to lift the X-wing and drops it. Yoda steps in and lifts the X-wing all the way to land...

Luke: "I...I don't believe it!"

Yoda: "That is why you failed."

5. 808Jedi Jedi Padawan

Here's some more...

"Fear is the path of the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to...suffering."

"Ready are you!? What know you of ready? For eight hundred years have I trained Jedi. My own counsel will I keep on who is to be trained. A Jedi must have the deepest commitment, the most serious mind. This one a long time have I watched. All his life has he looked away...to the future, to the horizon. Never his mind on where he was. What he was doing. Adventure, heh. Excitement, heh. A Jedi craves not there things...you are reckless."

"So certain are you. Always with you it cannot be done. Hear you nothing that I say?"

That is it for now...may the Force be with you, always.

6. Sith-Poon5 Jedi Padawan

I agree with mac-nut. "Do or do not. There is no try." Very Mr. Miyagi-esque. The Karate Kid is cool.
  7. Hapajedi Jedi Master

star 3
    Hard to see the dark side is....strange and disturbing this puzzle is....
  8. H20 Jedi Knight

star 1
    I'll tell you my favorite line from Yoda even if its not so deep.

Yoda to the emperor: "If so powerful you are, why leave?"

I hope thats the line.
  9. JayTee_Erricck Force Ghost

star 2
    "You must train yourself to let go of the everything you fear to lose." - Master Yoda

I'm surprised that, even as late in the game as Episode III, I still find quotes of Master Yoda to be so profound. I don't know if this one is necessarily my favorite but I think it is probably the most significant in regards to the whole Star Wars legend.

If Anakin wasn't so fixated on his fear of losing Padme, he wouldn't have given up his loyalty to the Good Side of the Force, to the Jedi Order, to the Republic, to democracy. So many people seem to admire, even worship Darth Vader, since he seems to be an icon (ironically, one of EVIL), and yet, deep down, he is probably the weakest of all Jedi. Case in point, Anakin says, "I can't live without her........". It's this weakness that drives him to the Dark Side.

We might think that people admire Vader because of his weaknesses but I'm guessing the truth is, most people like Vader because he looks cool (ha, ha, ha) and, similar to the Terminator, he's like a dark Superman. He manages (for a while) to get away with whatever the hell he wants.

As far as Yoda's quote goes, I think there are a few exceptions. We shouldn't let go of our dignity. Our self-respect. Then again, a friend of mine suggested that his quote probably refers to material things.

May the Force be with us.
    Jay Tee
  10. Pac501_3136 Jedi Padawan

Anikin was taught not to love a single person or have possessions. That led to attachment, which led to the "dark side". The Jedi order came first and foremost.(Very christian like) But he also saw compassion as unconditional love for all. Isn't that attachment as well? Not an attachment to one, but to all. If it came down to it, in real life, we all would have done the same thing he did. Try to save the ones we loved, at any cost, and looking out for ourselves. If you say that this "love" was Anikins' weakness, it's also Lukes', (doesen't he marry Mara Jade?) Leias'(marrying Han), and anybody who had someone else to care about. Then you can say that the "good" guys are weak because they love, and the "bad" guys have to be stronger ones because they don't. So when you say he did something out of evil, look at it from a "Certian point of view." Why is trying to save the person you love such a bad thing? What is evil to one person might be good to another. My favorite quote from South Park the movie applies here. Satan sings "What is evil anyway? Is there reason to the ryhme? Without evil there can be no good, so it must be good to be evil sometime." Vader is an icon (to me) because he did what he thought was right for himself. He made choices, where as the Jedi did not give him any. In short he was human.

Favorite Yoda quote: "You must un-learn what you have learned."
  11. JayTee_Erricck Force Ghost

star 2
    1) "Anikin was taught not to love a single person or have possessions. That led to attachment, which led to the 'dark side'. The Jedi order came first and foremost.(Very christian like) But he also saw compassion as unconditional love for all. Isn't that attachment as well? Not an attachment to one, but to all."

I think love for all is a balance. Being considerate of many. Not just the few or the one (Palpatine, for example). I don't see this as attachment in the sense that Anakin referred to as the Jedi code.

2) "If it came down to it, in real life, we all would have done the same thing he did. Try to save the ones we loved, at any cost, and looking out for ourselves."

You are sorely mistaken here. At the least, I can speak for myself.

If Anakin TRULY loved Padme, he would have realized that she would not have wanted him to murder the Padawan children. He would have known that she wouldn't have wanted him to turn to the Dark Side. He would have known that she wouldn't feel that saving her life justified going what she stood for.

If anything, Anakin was being selfish. He was doing what he felt was best for himself. I understand that the loss of his Mother pained him & the fear of losing Padme motivated him to do heinous things but the ultimate tragedy is that he denied his good self & submitted to the evil that was Palpatine.

3) "If you say that this "love" was Anikins' weakness, it's also Lukes', (doesen't he marry Mara Jade?) Leias'(marrying Han), and anybody who had someone else to care about. Then you can say that the "good" guys are weak because they love, and the "bad" guys have to be stronger ones because they don't."

Love can be a strength, depending on how you look at it. More importantly, however, I seriously doubt Luke or Leia would have been weak enough to murder good, innocent people to save the lives of Mara or Han. I find myself feeling love toward people all the time but I'm smart enough & strong enough to know that love does not supercede common decency. It does not cloud my judgment of right vs. wrong. To quote Mr. Miyagi from The Karate Kid, "If you put passion before principle, even if you win, you lose". If you ask me, he's Earth's version of Yoda.

4) "So when you say he did something out of evil, look at it from a 'Certian point of view.' Why is trying to save the person you love such a bad thing? What is evil to one person might be good to another."

I'll put the question to you. Imagine yourself in a room like the Jedi Council chambers. Imagine the door is locked & you are the only person in there above, say, the age of 7. Say there were a group of children locked in there with you and you had a sword while they were unarmed. Say these children even looked up to you as a teacher. Someone they respect & look to for guidance & protection. And say someone like Palpatine told you you had to kill every single child in that room in order to save your wife: a woman that fights for the safety of & democracy for people. Say that the person like Palpatine told you he MIGHT be able to help you find a way to save your wife from some nightmare you had. Could YOU murder all those children? Heck, could you murder ONE of them? Could you? I know I couldn't. You may call me weak for saying this. If so, then, I'm weak. So be it.

Then ask yourself, would killing one of these children or ALL of these children be a bad thing?

I think it's ironic that, in the "real world", if a man kidnaps or sexually assaults or mudrers a single child, he automatically becomes an outcast and an unwelcome scourge of society while Vader murders hundreds upon thousands of children (he helps Tarkin wipe out Alderaan, an entire PLANET of children & adults in "A New Hope") and he becomes somewhat of a hero. Someone so many people admire. In short, this is frightening.

5) "My favorite quote from South Park the movie applies here. Satan sings 'What is evil anyway? Is there reason to the ryhme? Without evil there can be no good, so it must be good to be evil somet
  12. NEMES1S Jedi Knight

star 1
    Heres one... "May the 'Schwartz' be withcu." Hold on, we're talking about Yoda? I thought you said Yogurt. My bad...[face_dancing]
  13. Pac501_3136 Jedi Padawan

"I think love for all is a balance. Being considerate of many. Not just the few or the one (Palpatine, for example). I don't see this as attachment in the sense that Anakin referred to as the Jedi code."

Being considerate to all is one thing. That falls under common courtesy. Loving all is quite more involved. Love for all can not be "balance" because you need to have two equal sides to have balance. Not everyone will "love" you in return. There is no light with out the dark, no good with out evil, no life with out death, no man with out woman. Think of a yin-yang symbol. One light side with a dot of dark and one dark side with a light dot.

"If Anakin TRULY loved Padme, he would have realized that she would not have wanted him to murder the Padawan children. He would have known that she wouldn't have wanted him to turn to the Dark Side. He would have known that she wouldn't feel that saving her life justified going what she stood for. If anything, Anakin was being selfish. He was doing what he felt was best for himself. I understand that the loss of his Mother pained him & the fear of losing Padme motivated him to do heinous things but the ultimate tragedy is that he denied his good self & submitted to the evil that was Palpatine.

Yoda said it himself in Empire.
    "Luke: And sacrifice Han and Leia?!
    Yoda: If you value what they fight for. . . yes."

If he just let that pillar fall on Anikin and Obi-Wan, he could have stopped a lot of things from happening. I never condoned Anikins' actions against the younglings. Let me ask you this, what would you do to save members of your family? How far would you go? I will agree with you on one point. Anikin might have been selfish, but he was also thinking about Padmae. He wanted the power to save her, not himself. That is unselfish.

"Love can be a strength, depending on how you look at it. More importantly, however, I seriously doubt Luke or Leia would have been weak enough to murder good, innocent people to save the lives of Mara or Han. I find myself feeling love toward people all the time but I'm smart enough & strong enough to know that love does not supercede common decency. It does not cloud my judgment of right vs. wrong. To quote Mr. Miyagi from The Karate Kid, "If you put passion before principle, even if you win, you lose". If you ask me, he's Earth's version of Yoda."

If you look at the Empire and compare it to our modern day military you'll see that we have a lot of troops "just following orders." Others see them as being "evil", while we say they are doing "good". It is all dependant on your POV. If they signed up for the duty, aren't they just good innocent people doing a job? Don't confuse common decency with love. We as people really only "love" few people. We might have strong attachments to people, but true love is rare and hard to find. And I would tell Mr. Miyagi that I have a passion for my principles, and that passion is drives me to do the things I do.

"I'll put the question to you. Imagine yourself in a room like the Jedi Council chambers. Imagine the door is locked & you are the only person in there above, say, the age of 7. Say there were a group of children locked in there with you and you had a sword while they were unarmed. Say these children even looked up to you as a teacher. Someone they respect & look to for guidance & protection. And say someone like Palpatine told you you had to kill every single child in that room in order to save your wife: a woman that fights for the safety of & democracy for people. Say that the person like Palpatine told you he MIGHT be able to help you find a way to save your wife from some nightmare you had. Could YOU murder all those children? Heck, could you murder ONE of them? Could you? I know I couldn't. You may call me weak for saying this. If so, then, I'm weak. So be it."

First of all, my principles tell me not to harm children. Secondly, I tend to look out for words such as might, may, perhaps, and so on. So if you are asking me personally, I would
  14. Pac501_3136 Jedi Padawan

Sorry about going off topic.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.