main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Best John WIlliams Composition[s]

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by JediBeowulf, Nov 25, 2001.

?

Best John WIlliams Composition[s]

Poll closed Mar 24, 2012.
  1. Hook (*My personal favorite*)

10.7%
  2. Star Wars Saga

71.4%
  3. Indiana Jones Trilogy

5.4%
  4. Jaws

1.8%
  5. Close Encounters of the Third Kind

1.8%
  6. Jurassic Park

1.8%
  7. Schindler

7.1%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JediBeowulf

JediBeowulf Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 6, 2001
  2. JediBeowulf

Feb 6, 2001
    Sorry, forgot to list "OTHER" as a choice. Feel free to list yours if it's not on the list.

3. ST-TPM-ASF-TNE

ST-TPM-ASF-TNE Moderator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 27, 2001
  4. DarthBane93

DarthBane93 Force Ghost star 4

Jun 11, 1999
    I think the work he has done on the SW saga has been his best overall work.

But my fav JW's theme music is still Superman. I only like the Superman theme from the movies...rest is not my cup of tea. But the whole SW soundtrack in the best in movie history IMO.

5. MoffJake

MoffJake Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 24, 2001
    I'm the weirdo who voted for Close Encounters. It's too easy to vote for Star Wars so I voted for this one. Don't get me wrong - I think the CE3K score was amazing, dark, beautiful, and inspiring. It's probably my most personal score (and film, for that matter).

But the shear breadth of the Star Wars Saga Score (still being written) surpases all other Williams' works. There's a lot to it. It cover's so many emotions and ideas. There's no feeling like being in the crowded theater and hearing JW's Star Wars fanfare kicking off yet another adventure in the Star Wars Saga.

-MoffJake

6. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    While SW is fantastic, my favorite work of his is for Amistad. Then Schindler's, then Star Wars, then Close Encounters of the Third Kind.

7. Darth Michigan

Darth Michigan Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 4, 1999
    What about Superman? My 2nd favorite after ESB.

8. legacyAccount

legacyAccount Jedi Youngling

May 22, 2012
    midway march

9. DARTH_CORLEONE

DARTH_CORLEONE Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 26, 2001
    Superman

SupermanSupermanSupermanSupermanSupermanSupermanSupermanSupermanSupermanSupermanSupermanSupermanSuperman!

Superman

Sorry...

Williams went above and beyond the call of duty on this one. I'm sure just about everyone had a preconceived notion of what Superman music should be, and Williams still surprised and delighted us.

10. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    Schindler's List. I love Star Wars, and I love Star Wars music, but the music from Schindler's List really touches my heart. :)

11. royalguard96

royalguard96 Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 13, 2001
    Please....

Star Wars

Everyone else is tied for last place ;)

12. DarthSapient

DarthSapient Jedi Youngling star 10

Jun 26, 2001
    I think John Willimas is one of the best composers of our time. I also believe he does not get the recognition he deserves. His accolades seem to follow that of the movies in terms of the Academy Award voting body. I believe that his best scores are the two yet-to-be-completed scores for AOTC and Episode III.

13. JediBeowulf

Feb 6, 2001
    "I think John Willimas is one of the best composers of our time. I also believe he does not get the recognition he deserves."

I whole-heartedly agree. Most people often forget that he has also composed many concert pieces [non-soundtrack] of very high quality (Liberty Fanfare, Summon the Heroes, and numerous concertos for various instruments). He is as diverse with his repotoire as he is with his many sweeping melodies.

14. Minigo Varay

Minigo Varay Jedi Youngling star 3

May 24, 2000
    Accept for the SW score I really love Superman! And I also think he is the best now living composer.

I like the music from Far and Away also. The main theme is fantastic!

15. Stargasior

Stargasior Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 6, 2001
    Star Wars. It has the best music of any movie.

16. Minigo Varay

May 24, 2000
    I even think it is the best music of all time.

17. DARTH_CORLEONE

Oct 26, 2001
    Although I do not think of Williams as the 'best', per se, I do think that he is the best choice for a given type of film. Adventure films with a strong narrative seem to go hand-in-hand with Williams' approach. But it also depends on how goood the film is. Does anyone remember the score from 'Always'? With the exception of Nixon and parts of Jaws, Williams' scores so far have not really strayed from Western-based pentatonic melodies. This not a bash at all, because his most famous scores have really fed off of as well as motivated the narratives of their respectiver films. Nixon was definitely a surprise for me, and I'm glad that Willims was given the opportunity to create a more ironic, textural, and ethereal score than what we're accustomed to.

Two contemporary composers that do very nicely in the irony/texture department are Hans Zimmer (Gladiator, Thin Red Line-awful movie, great music) and Carter Burwell (All of The Cohen Bros. Films, Being John Malkovich). Some of the best scores I've heard i the last few decades have been in some asian-produced films (Kurosawa's 'Ran', Couching Tiger, Akira (Anime), Farewell My Concubine), and I would hope that those composers receive more Western/worldwide recognition.

18. Minigo Varay

May 24, 2000
    It depends on what you mean with "best". I just love the Star Wars music more than all other music that I've in my life. It's about taste really. If he is the most skilled composer of all time I don't know.

19. DARTH_CORLEONE

Oct 26, 2001
    His track record certainly speaks volumes. No pun intended. No doubt, one of the greats, if not THE.

20. JWK

JWK Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 18, 2000
    Star Wars is his best compasitions.
    Jurassik Park, Superman, and Jaws are very awesome though.

21. Awel

Awel Jedi Master star 1

Apr 27, 2001
    I adore Hymn to New England, which I saw him conduct over the summer...but I'd also have to say I love Star Wars. And Corleone, I agree about the Crouching Tiger soundtrack--Tan Dun, the composer, is wonderful. I also got to see him over the summer and I loved everything I heard by him. And of course it didn't hurt that Yo-Yo Ma had a large part in the Crouching Tiger music...

22. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    Summon the Heroes.

23. Knightstalker-

Knightstalker- Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 7, 2001
    What happened to Superman?

24. Minigo Varay

May 24, 2000
    Superman is splendid! One of the absolutely best.

25. PloKloon1138

PloKloon1138 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 5, 2001
    I voted for Star Wars, of course. And, this *is* as Star Wars forum, so I guess the majority will agree with me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.