main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Best John WIlliams Composition[s]

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by JediBeowulf, Nov 25, 2001.

?

Best John WIlliams Composition[s]

Poll closed Mar 24, 2012.
  1. Hook (*My personal favorite*)

10.7%
  2. Star Wars Saga

71.4%
  3. Indiana Jones Trilogy

5.4%
  4. Jaws

1.8%
  5. Close Encounters of the Third Kind

1.8%
  6. Jurassic Park

1.8%
  7. Schindler

7.1%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DARTH_CORLEONE

DARTH_CORLEONE Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 26, 2001
    Another thing about Williams' more famous scores is that they blend seamlessly into medley, which is often played over the closing titles, and truly feel like one, broad composition. A real testament to the symbiosis he creates between the films and his scores, at least on the better films. The end credit medley foe ESB is majestic and magnanimous. ESB was a giant leap from ANH in just about every way, and the score is no exception. In fact, it was the end part of this medley that was used for the second TPM trailer.

Awel, look into Carter Burwell as well. He has done nearly all of the Coen Bros. pictures, as well as some very nice arrangements on their current release, the Man Who Wasn't There. He also scored Being John Malcovich, a film I didn't particularly like, but I liked the music.

2. Well_Of_Souls

Well_Of_Souls Jedi Master star 5

Aug 26, 2001
    You can't simply lump all of the SW scores together, otherwise I would have voted for ESB, hands down. But since you did lump them together, I have to say Hook, a brilliant work of JW's.

BTW, I, too, love the Superman score. :D

3. Luukeskywalker

Luukeskywalker Force Ghost star 5

Jun 23, 1999
    As a whole, the Star Wars films definetly get my vote. They are so rich, powerful, and brilliant all around. And most of all, memorable.

The Indy scores are a close second, as far as overall goes. Especially Raiders.

But, if I had to vote for his best and most brilliant MAIN THEME, tied with Star Wars would have to be Superman. Oh man, is that theme brilliant. Just the sheer scope of that whole piece. The jaw dropping thing about that theme is that it runs for about 6 minutes. Especially when you start counting the VERY beginning of it where you see the little boy open up the "action comic" book, which is the softest part of that theme. I just love how it builds until it starts going full blast, and then once it kicks into high gear around the time you see Christopher Reeve's name on screen wooshing by, the song just keeps doing all kinds of brilliant things as it changes, turns romantic a little, builds back up, becomes bold, and races along like nothing you have ever heard before.

The dissadvantage that the Star Wars theme has to that one is that its just so short compared to it, because it is accompanied by only a quick opening text scroll that sets up the film But, note for note, Star Wars is just as brilliant.

4. flyingseal

flyingseal Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 20, 2002
    just love all of his work

5. JarJarIsBoba

JarJarIsBoba Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 24, 2000
    All-time highest grossing movies in the U.S. that John Williams composed for (in the top 66):

2. Star Wars: A New Hope
    3. Star Wars: The Phantom Menace
    4. E.T.
    5. Jurassic Park
    7. Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone
    9. Star Wars: Return of the Jedi
    13. Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back
    14. Home Alone
    16. Jaws
    22. Raiders of the Lost Ark
    27: The Lost World: Jurassic Park
    32: Saving Private Ryan
    42: Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade
    55: Jurassic Park III
    56: Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom
    63: Home Alone 2: Lost In New York

16 of the top 66 films were composed by John Williams. That's about 1 in every 4 of the top 66 highest grossing movies ever!
    (For some reason, MovieWeb does the top 66. Don't ask my why.)

6. DARTH_CHINA

DARTH_CHINA Jedi Master star 5

Dec 31, 2001
    Definitely the Star Wars score because it's the most powerfull score. And everyone on the world knows the famous opening theme, I think.

7. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    And no one's mentioned ET (apart from the post with the list of high-grossing films)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.