main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Best Lightsaber Battle

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by darthpeechadool, Jun 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. darthpeechadool

darthpeechadool Jedi Youngling

Jun 13, 2011
    In my opinion the best lightsaber battle in the whole sage is Luke/Vader in Empire. It may not have the fastest swordplay but the story playing out while that is happening is the best which makes that saber battle tops in my book. Agree?

2. Drewdude91

Drewdude91 Jedi Knight star 3

May 21, 2011
    Best Swordplay: Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon vs. Darth Maul (TPM)
    Best Story: Luke vs. Vader (ROTJ)

Worst Swordplay: Obi-Wan vs. Vader (ANH)
    Worst Story: Anakin and Obi-Wan vs. Dooku (ROTS)

3. Grand_Moff_Jawa

Grand_Moff_Jawa Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 31, 2001

I agree. Vader and Luke in TESB had an awesome saber battle. Vader's attack was both physical and mental. The battle between Vader and Ben in ANH was more about settling what was started in ROTS's battle. I like the battle in JEDI too, as Luke isn't so mentally insecure and ends up kicking Vader's butt. However, he almost lost himself in the process. The battle between Qui Gon, Obi Wan and Maul was just flash, no substance. Same with the Dooku battles.

4. MrFantastic74

MrFantastic74 Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 4, 2010
    I agree with you two. The battle between Vader and Luke in Empire is my all time favorite. There was so much tension. There was a sense that Luke was in way over his head and had no chance to win, and of course, he did not. And of course there was the epic plot twist.

I agree about the Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan vs. Darth Maul fight, although for the theatrical martial arts aspects of it, I still give it high marks. It was the one shining element of TPM for me.

5. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    I like the battle in ANH too. First they test each other, they go slow and make some mental attacks to have the other lose his concentration. Then suddenly a few seconds the fight becomes really fast.

I agree. Pure awesomeness.

6. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    Luke vs. Vader, final sequence. Just the sheer ferocity of Luke's attack is pretty amazing; we wouldn't see anything this ferocious until TPM when Obi-Wan went after Maul in much the same manner. Luke actually muscles Vader, who's nearly a foot taller and has robot arms, around like a rag doll; Vader gets in literally one strike-a overhand blow that Luke sneeringly shoves away. That portion of the score is called "The Dark Side Beckons" and that is exactly what happens.

7. ILuvJarJar

ILuvJarJar Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 19, 2008
    I would say Luke/Vader in ROTJ. There is so much going on there, emotionally and physically. Luke seems to lose it for a while, and after severing Vader's hand, he realizes how close he is to the dark side, mirroring the fight in ESB.

Very climatic and the perfect ending fight to the hero's journey.

8. Drewdude91

Drewdude91 Jedi Knight star 3

May 21, 2011
    Until TPM isn't saying much. I agree that the fights are awesome, but TPM was the movie directly after ROTJ

9. DRush76

DRush76 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 25, 2008
    For me, it's a tie between the Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan vs. Darth Maul match in TPM and the Anakin vs. Obi-Wan match in ROTS.

I didn't find the OT duels that impressive.

Rakeem D likes this.
  10. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    ROTJ

Mark Hamill did a great job portraying pure rage, there wasn't much skill he was just swinging as hard as he could, taking wild wide swings, bashing his way through Vader's guard. The tone in the background was excellent as well.

11. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    Eh, we had plenty of lacklustre, poorly-described duels in the EU between ROTJ and TPM.

12. HevyDevy

HevyDevy Force Ghost star 5

Apr 13, 2011
    The Empire Strikes Back duel is also a favourite for me. However, I disagree that the TPM duel had no substance, it's my second favourite duel probably. Empire's duel has arguably the best swordplay of the OT duels, and as has been said involves a great storyline and context.
    Several good moments;
    - Luke claiming he is full of surprises then getting owned, as well as Vader floating down the stairs.
    - Vader's lines, such as "...but you are not a Jedi yet" and "Don't let yourself be destroyed as Obi-Wan did".
    - Luke's force jump after Vader declares "Perhaps you are not as strong as the Emperor thought" and "Impressive. Most impressive".
    - Luke kicking Vader down a level (when they get seperated), that shot of him holding his lightsaber as he looks down.
    - The door slamming shut behind Luke... retro.
    - Luke getting sucked out the window after Vader throws stuff at him.

Pretty much the whole duel.

13. obi-rob-kenobi4

obi-rob-kenobi4 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 17, 2007
    IMO there is just nothing in the whole saga that is more dramatic, important and emotional than the epic battle between oni-wan-kenobi and anakin skywalker/darth vader in ROTS.

a close 2nd would be the duel of the fates from TPM.

14. MrFantastic74

MrFantastic74 Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 4, 2010
    Yes! All of that is so epic. Everytime I see Luke approach Vader for the first time and hear vader's words "The Force is with you, young Skywalker, but you are not a Jedi yet." it gives me chills. That's why I chose the image for my icon.

That whole duel is my favorite scene from my favorite movie in my favorite saga of all time. Hands down.

15. fistofan1

fistofan1 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2009
    My favorite is a tie between Anakin vs. Obi-Wan in ROTS and Luke vs. Vader in ROTJ. I just love how powerful they are with the combination of the music and the dramatic style of fighting.

My least favorite has to be Obi-Wan vs. Vader in ANH. There is really no tension or skill whatsoever, just two guys swinging at each other with sticks. It is probably the low point of the Saga for me, except for the very end with Ben's death.

16. dewback_rancher

dewback_rancher Jedi Master star 4

Aug 23, 2009
    This. I also really appreciated how Luke basically hits more scenery than Vader during that berserker rage- it just makes you realize he'd be dangerous to be in the same ROOM as Luke in that state, because he'll probably hit you with one of those wild swings and not even notice it. Mark Hamill did 'blind rage' better in that one minute where Luke lost it than Hayden Christensen did throughout the entirety of Revenge of the Sith.

17. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    I don't think we were supposed to be getting a 'blind rage' vibe from Anakin at any point, frankly. Look at the opening to the 'seduction' scene-his phrasing of "I know there's things about the Force they're [/i]not telling me[/i]," is as loaded as a serving of mashed potatoes at Applebees. Sure, he spouts off about how he's trying to save Padme/bring peace to "his new Empire" etc...but there's just so little actual investment in those lines compared to other lines that show a very different nature-one where he's actively seeking to know the Dark Side because the power fascinates him. Power to save his wife, sure, but there is very little blind desperation about any of Anakin's scenes or lines after his fall. He's egotistical, pontificating, angry, wrathful; the only time blind rage ever enters is when he thinks Padme's betrayed him, and even then it's only there for a second or two before he coldly attempts to murder her.

18. dewback_rancher

dewback_rancher Jedi Master star 4

Aug 23, 2009
    There's the Duel on Mustafar, where Anakin being blinded by his rage actually serves as a plot point that helps Obi-Wan win the duel. Yet even then, it's not as visceral as that one minute of acting by Mark Hamill.

19. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    I don't think that sequence was blinded by rage, either. :p He seems much more arrogant than rage-filled; totally confident in his abilities no matter what.

20. judis9198

judis9198 Jedi Youngling

Jun 19, 2011
    I would say my favorite is Darth Maul vs Obi or Yoda vs Dooku.

21. Ord-Mantell70

Ord-Mantell70 Jedi Master star 3

Mar 9, 2009
    Totally agree. Best duel and sequence of the whole Saga. Scenery and photography are awesome too.

Most of the PT duels are far too fast or kung-fu like to me, except for Palpatine /Mace Windu in ROTS, and dialogue is not as good.

22. MasterDillon

MasterDillon Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 28, 2010
    Definently has to be the Mustafar duel between Obi-Wan Kenobi, and Anakin Skywalker. George Lucas said he wanted to create an epic duel and he did.

23. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    Well, choreography-wise, I would have to say Obi-Wan/Qui-Gon vs. Darth Maul. If you were to ask me what?s the most emotional and dramatic duel in the whole saga, I would have to say Luke vs. Vader from TESB.

So, a tie between those two methinks.

24. DARTH_DEEZY

DARTH_DEEZY Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 4, 2011
    Darth Sidious vs. Mace Windu ROTS...would have been better without the cut ins of Anakin stopping to tie his shoes, start his speeder etc... and the way that duel ends..."You...are under arrest My Lord"

25. darthpeechadool

darthpeechadool Jedi Youngling

Jun 13, 2011
    Deezy,

Sidious/Mace was such a let down I agree. You have the two top guys going at it and it was not all that impressive.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.