main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Best Lightsaber duel in the prequel movies?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Darth Jaster, Jan 11, 2017.

?

Best Prequel Lightsaber Fight

1. Anakin vs Obi-Wan

45.9%
  2. Yoda vs Sidious

11.5%
  3. Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon vs Darth Maul

49.2%
  4. Anakin vs Count Dooku (Attack of the Clones)

4.9%
  5. Anakin vs Count Dooku (Revenge of the Sith)

3.3%
  6. Obi-Wan vs General Grevious

1.6%
  7. Yoda vs Count Dooku

1.6%
  8. Battle of Geonsis

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Darth Jaster

Darth Jaster Jedi Padawan star 1

Jan 5, 2017
    I wanna hear some opinions on everyone's favorite fights from just the prequel movies. It's got to be Anakin and Obi Wan's fight for me.

2. Jarren_Lee-Saber

Jarren_Lee-Saber Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2008
    Qui-Gon & Obi-Wan vs Darth Maul is the coolest, Anakin vs Obi-Wan is the most emotional.

3. _Sublime_Skywalker_

_Sublime_Skywalker_ Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2004
    I stand by Anakin/Vader vs Obi Wan always. Emotionally devastating, great choreography, flashy and appealing effects, and semi-decent dialogue.

This thread will probably be locked soon though, if you visit the Saga in Depth forum, there's tons of "best duels" for both Trilogies. I suggest giving it a look ;).

4. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    Is the Battle of Geonosis really a duel?

The Dooku duel is already covered, so does it mean Jango Vs. Mace? But there's no Obi-Wan Vs. Jango?

Anyway, my favourite is the AOTC Dooku duel. I just really like the setting, especially the dark section. The music is veru understated as well, a nice change of pace from the normal style of duel music, with loud choral pieces.

5. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    I believe there is already a thread for this. With a much better poll too.

Jarren_Lee-Saber likes this.
  6. Rachel_In_Red

Rachel_In_Red Jedi Master star 3

May 12, 2013
    OBK / QGJ vs. DM.

Erkan12 likes this.
  7. Zejo the Jedi

Zejo the Jedi Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 16, 2016
    Duel of the Fates

Jarren_Lee-Saber and Erkan12 like this.
  8. Jester J Binks

Jester J Binks Jedi Master star 4

Dec 19, 2016
    OB1/QGJ v. Maul. Love the emotional saber duels, but it was great to get our first Jedi Prime saber battle where all 3 combatants were trying to kill their opponent from start to finish.

Jarren_Lee-Saber and Deliveranze like this.
  9. Deliveranze

Deliveranze Force Ghost star 6

Nov 28, 2015
    Tough. Toss up for Episode I duel and Anakin vs. Obi-Wan. The Episode I duel is just amazingly choreographed and it's the best shot duel imo but Anakin vs. Obi-Wan is just high stakes and emotional throughout. Probably Anakin vs. Obi-Wan tho. :p

10. MissJo

MissJo Jedi Knight star 2

Aug 6, 2015
    Vader/Anakin vs Obi-Wan. I always liked that one the most :anakin: :bluesaber: :obiwan::bluesaber:

11. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    Like others have said TPM for total complete cinematic artistry of the actual duel itself while ROTS has the overall weight of the story, character and emotion.

Not that both don't have lots of each but the scale is tipped for each in different ways as Lucas intended.

So overall I take Vader vs Obi-Wan.

12. SynCrow

SynCrow Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 7, 2017
    Got to be Obi-Wan vs Anakin for me. Everytime I watch Revenge of the Sith I find myself thinking about the duel at various points through the film and when it eventually gets to that duel I'm always glued to the screen. Such great choreography, that bit where they both spin their lightsabers and try to force push each other at exactly the same time.

Most of the duels were all really good in the PT though. Yoda vs Sidious was good, as was Obi Wan and Anakin vs Count Dooku.

13. Harbour

Harbour Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 15, 2015
    Anakin vs Obi-Wan was the best duel in the whole franchise for me. I rewatched it 50+ times. Emotional, energetic, beautiful, character and story driven fight.
    It has everything other duels had and hadn't.
    In my opinion technically and visually it was the Duel of the Fates Release Version (original DotF as Beta Version), with lack of technical and choreographical flaws original DotF had.

Jarren_Lee-Saber likes this.
  14. DBPirate

DBPirate Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2015
    What he said, but I voted for the former. It's the first thing I think of when I hear "lightsaber battles."

15. boonjj

boonjj Jedi Master star 1

Jan 21, 2016
    I enjoy OBW/ANAKIN vs DOOKU, in both AOTC & ROTS.

I feel like these fights are cool, grounded, have significance in both character and plot, and flow well within the movie.

Dual of fates has no flow to it because its spaced out across like 20 different cuts among 3 other scenes. Mustafar duel gets a bit ludicrous with all the balancing acts and lava and whatnot.

Subtext Mining and Darth Jaster like this.
  16. Jar-Jar Binks

Jar-Jar Binks SWC Late Show With JJB Host star 8 VIP - Game Host

Nov 17, 2016
    QuiGon / ObiWan Vs Darth Maul gets me vote. I love the simplicity and beauty of it. It's the perfect balance between lightsaber colors and combat styles. I love the soundtrack during it. Hope we get another along these lines in EVIII.

17. Darth Jaster

Darth Jaster Jedi Padawan star 1

Jan 5, 2017
    Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan vs Darth Maul is arguably the most intense with weight behind it because you do not know the outcome. You know Obi-Wan lives, but you don't know the fate of Qui-Gon or Maul. That factor gives it an edge over my second favorite fight Anakin vs Obi-Wan, because you know Anakin loses that fight.

18. Mostly Handless

Mostly Handless Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 11, 2017
    I wouldn't say its my favourite, but Yoda Vs Sidious is IMO defiantly underrated. I know that McDiarmid's OTT performance of that scene rankles some, but honestly Its always made sense to me, as Palpatine essentially high on the Darkside. Having just executed the 1,000 year of the Sith to destroy the Jedi and rule the Galaxy, Sidious is having the greatest day of his life.[face_devil]

19. Dandelo

Dandelo SW and Film Music Interview Host star 10 VIP - Game Host

Aug 25, 2014
    the AOTC duel. it was so nicely choreographed I thought I was watching fencing ballet style. And it's nice to see lightsabers moving through the dark.

I also have a fondness for Palpatine Vs Mace, for the simple fact that I disagree with the mainstream opinion on it....they are both supposedly masters at using a lightsaber but come across as so sloppy with one (especially Palps) that it's endearing. So as it might not be "official" canon, my head canon says that Palpatine is somewhat what of a newb with lightsabers and that's ok with me. Not everybody who picks up a lightsaber in the PT has to be a master at using one.

20. Mostly Handless

Mostly Handless Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 11, 2017
    I've always head-cannoned that the enclosed space had something to do with that. As for as I'm aware all the Lightsaber duels apart for those in ANH and TESB take place either outdoors, or in open, high-ceilinged places. Palaptine's office didn't afford the combatants the kind of space needed to perform something more strenuous. But its nice to see a bit of love for that fight regardless.
    Also Mace's Lightsaber shattering the windo is one of the coolest Star Wars visuals ever, at least according to me.:)

Seeker Of The Whills and Dandelo like this.
  21. Dandelo

Dandelo SW and Film Music Interview Host star 10 VIP - Game Host

Aug 25, 2014
    I do think that it should have been done with a stunt double for Ian. He was clearly not at ease doing it. I don't blame Ian at all, some people are just not physical and "ooohh yeah I get to be a bad *** with a lightsaber" as I say, I find it intriguing how it was done all the same, I just LOL when canon says "Palpatine is one of the best ever with a lightsaber". ROTS office duel certainly doesn't show that. Anyone involved in the AOTC duel or even the TPM duel would have made minced meat out of him.

I agree about the lack of space though.

Mostly Handless likes this.
  22. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid Force Ghost star 6

Mar 13, 2014
    I love the Yoda vs. Sidious Duel. I was really surprised this happened and love that it is cross cut with Obi-Wan and Anakin's duel. Seeing both masters of the force use their full powers and not hold back. The sheer glee of Palpatine and how even Yoda brings a certain humor / aggressive swagger to the duel is great.

I love how cowardly Palpatine is at certain moments and in the next bragging about his master plan to Yoda. There are aspects of the other duels which are much better but this one just works for me on so many levels. It's my favorite.

Darth Jaster likes this.
  23. Darth Invictus

Darth Invictus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 8, 2016
    What about Mace Windu and the masters vs. Sidious?

24. Alienware

Alienware Jedi Master star 3

Apr 19, 2013
    This. And wth is battle of geonosis there?

25. Seeker Of The Whills

Seeker Of The Whills Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2015
    Battle of the Heroes.