main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Best Lightsaber duel in the prequel movies?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Darth Jaster, Jan 11, 2017.

?

Best Prequel Lightsaber Fight

1. Anakin vs Obi-Wan

45.9%
  2. Yoda vs Sidious

11.5%
  3. Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon vs Darth Maul

49.2%
  4. Anakin vs Count Dooku (Attack of the Clones)

4.9%
  5. Anakin vs Count Dooku (Revenge of the Sith)

3.3%
  6. Obi-Wan vs General Grevious

1.6%
  7. Yoda vs Count Dooku

1.6%
  8. Battle of Geonsis

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Sith Lord 2015

Sith Lord 2015 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 30, 2015
    How do the duels in ESB take place in less "high-ceilinged" places? Apart from the duel in the cave on Dagobah, which I don't count because it's not real, the actual duel takes place on Cloud City, which is just as high-ceilinged as any other indoors duel. Especially the final part where Luke loses his hand: that endless bottomless shaft is as "high-ceilinged" as you can possibly get while still being indoors. Even the carbon freezing chamber is pretty huge and open.

2. Mostly Handless

Mostly Handless Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 11, 2017

Must be a perception discrepancy, something about the Bespin cellar always seems closed in and subterranean to me.[face_dunno] I wasn't intending to bash TESB, it that's what you thought.

Sith Lord 2015 likes this.
  3. Sith Lord 2015

Oct 30, 2015
    No no, that wasn't my thought at all! And I kind of get your meaning anyway. The TESB sets were lit less brightly than ANH for instance, so that could add to the impression that they were a little more "claustrophobic", some of them at least.

Mostly Handless likes this.
  4. Rickleo123

Rickleo123 Jedi Knight star 3

May 20, 2016
    I can't take ANY of the Yoda duels seriously, watching him hop around like a frog on PCP is cringe inducing for me.

Anakin.Skywalker likes this.
  5. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    Duel of the Fates.

6. Anakin.Skywalker

Anakin.Skywalker Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2016
    Anakin v.s Obi-wan

Best duel in Star Wars ever.

7. Grievousdude

Grievousdude Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 27, 2013
    Yoda vs Sidious is my favourite, I always look forward to it every time I watch ROTS. Everything is perfect for me, the epic music playing, Yoda and Sidious throwing Senate Pods at each other and Sidious's cackling. I only wish it was a bit longer.

8. CT1138

CT1138 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2013
    The TPM Maul/Obi-Wan/Qui-Gon is one of the best cinematically, and hits me right in the nostalgia, but by far Obi-Wan VS Vader in RotS hits you in the feels emotionally.

9. Torib

Torib Jedi Master star 2

Jan 27, 2016
    I like the TPM duel a lot -- it's probably the most elegant of all the duels and takes place in a unique and memorable location -- but I still have to go with Obi-Wan versus Vader on Mustafar. The choreography in that duel is incredible: the actors' movements are fast and fierce and powerful in a way that puts the TPM duel to shame, and then there's also the greater emotional stakes and personal nature of the fight.

10. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    Batman Vs Superman

Anakin Vs Obi

11. ForcePushUp

ForcePushUp Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 19, 2016
    From a strictly choreographic standpoint, the climactic fight in Episode 1. The main problem with the fight is that the story of the film itself isn't good, and as a result, I don't really care about them or what they are fighting over. But hey, it looks cool and Ray Park is an amazing stuntman. The other fights in the Prequels look very video game-y with all the flips and crazy dives, lightsabers being twirled around like batons, and synthetic looking environments. There is some of that going on here too, but honestly, it looks really good on screen in this one, I believed there was a fight taking place with real people. I still don't understand the force field hallway (what is the point of having forcefields that go on and off at timed intervals?) but we also get nice subtle moments out of it. When the energy field is between Darth Maul and Qui-Gon, both of them get more character establishment in that moment than they do in the entire rest of the film. Darth Maul is violent, ready to act, so he's like a caged animal pacing back and forth waiting for his chance to strike. Qui-Gon is calm, peaceful, meditative, and patiently waiting his call to action while drawing on the Force to prepare himself. Its a nice little break from the action and one of those nice little touches I wish the Prequels had more of. In that moment, the Light and Dark sides of the Force are perfectly on display and told entirely with visuals and body language. And then you get Qui-Gon's defeat and Obi-Wan having to go it alone without his mentor, all hope seems lost, but then he pulls it off. All that good stuff. If the story of Phantom Menace was actually good, this would have been a great climactic fight.

From a pure fanboy perspective, my favorite is Yoda Vs. Sidious from Revenge of the Sith. OK, I hate that Lucas gave them lightsabers, but if he had to do it, at least we got this cool scene out of it. It was kind of like a dream come true to see Yoda and The Emperor on screen together, and setting the fight in the Senate chamber was a nice final signifier of how democracy had fallen.

Erkan12 likes this.
  12. Daxon101

Daxon101 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 7, 2016
    I remember around the time of Episode 7 on another forum there was alot of people making saying the saber fights having more weight like in the OT and mocking the prequel fights for being to quick and choreographed.

Personally i was totally fine with it since at least to me it made sense that like alot of martial arts you have to be quick and skilled to deal with whatever comes your way, whether its multiple attackers or just one .

13. Sith Lord 2015

Oct 30, 2015
    Didn't they say that about everything in TFA? How it was supposed to be more "real", have much more "practical" effects, better acting, bla bla bla... Sure, and that orange female Yoda looked so much more real than the PT one. Personally I'll take any PT lightsaber duel over the TFA one. At least in the PT there wasn't anyone without any lightsaber training whatsoever knowing how to use one, without any explanation. In the PT everyone involved in a duel had had years of training. I voted for Anakin vs. Obi-Wan because it is the most dramatic, even though in fact I enjoyed all duels in the PT, including the ones with Yoda.

Seeker Of The Whills likes this.