main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Best Lightsaber duel of all time (so far)?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Silas Nightstalker, Oct 15, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Silas Nightstalker

Silas Nightstalker Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 7, 2012
    Just curious as to what everybody thinks is the greatest duel of all time, be it in the movies or the books. My personal favorite is Kenobi and Jinn vs. Maul. Thoughts?

Marco1907 likes this.
  2. FatSmel

FatSmel Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 23, 2012
    It's hard to compare film vs literature in this sort of case, but it think Obi-Wan vs Vader in Episode III is hard to beat

colojedi7 likes this.
  3. DarthJenari

DarthJenari Jedi Master star 4

Dec 17, 2011
    Counting the film, the game, and the novel's interpretations, and rolling them into one, Darth Vader vs Obi-Wan Kenobi on Mustafar is the best duel in the series. The film gives you the visual depiction and the epic soundtrack. The game gives you extra scenes of what goes on between the two. The novel gives you everything that goes unsaid in the others. You really get a sense of just how awful this is for these two people (Master and Apprentice, Father and Son, Brother and Brother) to be fighting each other and the damage its causing at that moment, and the damage they've done to each other over the years. There are moments you simply can't fit into a movie that you can fit into a game (Obi-Wan: I wasn't ready to train someone like you!) and a novel (Obi-Wan: Its for the man you were. For the man you should've been.) With novels you just can't get the music, and music is such an important element. To find that right track that not only fits the moment but the characters, must truly be hard. I've always said that its only by watching, playing, and reading Revenge of the Sith that you can truly understand it, and I feel the same way about Vader and Kenobi's duel.

4. Tim Battershell

Tim Battershell Jedi Master star 5

Sep 3, 2012
    Anakin and Obi-Wan vs Dooku in RotS wasn't bad either.

zompusbite likes this.
  5. Silas Nightstalker

Sep 7, 2012
    I was going to say that Vader vs. Kenobi on Mustafar would be right up there. I definitely enjoyed the RotS novelization version of it. I really wish that we could have seen more from Master Windu, other than just the one duel with Palpatine.

zompusbite likes this.
  6. DarthJenari

Dec 17, 2011
    In the novel yes, in the movie it wasn't awful, but didn't come anywhere near the novel.

zompusbite and TheRedBlade like this.
  7. _Catherine_

_Catherine_ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 16, 2007
    Not a big fan of Obi-Wan vs. Anakin. As much as I like the RotS novelization, I don't particularly care for anything that happens between Mace going out the window and the last chapter. Everything else is gold, but that one little section feels comparatively flat. It still has Stover's great prose and descriptive language, but it doesn't offer the same level of narrative depth or character insight that the rest of the book does; it's just like a well-written description of what we see happen in the movie. Unfortunately that's some of the most important stuff in the novel, but nobody's perfect.

As far as the RotS novelization goes, I like Anakin/Obi-Wan vs. Dooku and Mace/Whoever vs. Palpatine a lot more. For the movies, either Luke vs. Vader on the Death Star II or Luke vs. Vader on Cloud City.

8. Jeff_Ferguson

Jeff_Ferguson Force Ghost star 5

May 15, 2006
    Luke and Lumiya's wordless duel in the opening pages of Marvel 96. Breathtaking stuff. And they waited until it concluded before they featured the kriffin' credits page, which was normally on PAGE ONE. Put that in your fife and smoke it.

Orman Tagge likes this.
  9. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008
    i am going to interject an actual eu lightsaber contest. How about Bane versus Kas'im the blademaster. thought that was cool. Obviously Jacen versus Luke was good. in the movies i would agree that Kenobi and Qui Gon versus Maul was great

10. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Bane vs. Kas'im is the best EU lightsaber battle I can remember.
    Qui-Gon, Obi-Wan vs. Maul, Anakin Skywalker vs. Obi-Wan, Yoda vs. the Emperor, Obi-Wan vs. Darth Vader and both fights between Darth Vader and Luke Skywalker are the best movie fights.

11. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    Luke and his father on the Death Star will always be my favourite movie moment. :)

I've always had a soft spot for Luke and Palpatine's duel on the Eclipse at the end of Dark Empire.

There were some really moving ones in Legacy too. Audiobooks definitely help many of the novel ones, as you then get the music on top of the pure hack-and-slash.

12. RC-1991

RC-1991 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 2, 2009
    Cloud City all the way. Second place would probably go to the Trayus Core showdown. Third would, IMO, be the Stover version of Anakin vs. Obi-wan. Honorable mention goes to Luke turning on god mode out of nowhere and taking down Shimmra.

Loto68 likes this.
  13. jedimaster203

jedimaster203 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 19, 1999
    The second part of the Obi-wan/Qui-gon vs Maul (after Qui-gon goes down) is by far my favorite lightsaber scene in all the movies. It is just all unbridled, no-nonsense awesome stuff.

14. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    Though I wasn't a huge fan of the Bane books, I must admit the duel between Bane, Zannah, and those Jedi in Rule of Two was quite entertaining.

Kar Vastor vs Mace was enthralling, even if it wasn't a lightsaber match. Paul Kemp did a good job of painting the portrait of a truly brutal lightsaber match between Malgus and the main character in Deception (though again, I wasn't a huge fan of that book, as evidenced by me not being able to remember the main characters name). Yoda vs Dooku in Dark Rendezvous was done well.

And my imagination makes Luke vs Palpatine in DE incredible.

15. Silas Nightstalker

Sep 7, 2012
    With Luke defeating Palpatine in a younger body while still quite young himself, it would go without saying that he was greater than Yoda by that time, correct? At least as a swordsman?

16. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Likely, especially given what we know of ROTS now.

17. lukemaraben

lukemaraben Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 2, 2012
    Luke vs. Vader on the Death Star has always been my favorite.

TheRedBlade likes this.
  18. WIERD_GREEN_MAN

WIERD_GREEN_MAN Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 16, 2010
    Maul vs. Kenobi & Jinn.

19. Darth_Zandalor

Darth_Zandalor Jedi Master star 4

Aug 2, 2009
    Filmwise, I really like the Cloud City Duel, for obvious reasons.

EU? Luke vs Jacen in Inferno. The only thing that stops this from being equal with the Cloud City fight is the ending. Luke doesn't kill Jacen. Everything else had them fighting to the death, going all out against each other, only for both of them to puss out at the last second so we could drag out the LOTF trainwreck further.

20. Silas Nightstalker

Sep 7, 2012
    Luke easily owned Jacen, correct? I mean, Jacen put up a good fight, but Luke could have easily ended it.

21. Silas Nightstalker

Sep 7, 2012
    What was revealed in ROTS? Yoda was quite beastly.

22. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    My impressions of the fight between Sidious and Yoda in ROTS (the film version, at least) was that Yoda was overall a more experienced swordsman (forced Sidious to back off and throw stuff at him), and could defeat him in a contest of brute power (Sidious was not able to block the Senate dais that Yoda deflected, Yoda successfully blocked his Force lightning), but Yoda didn't have the stamina to keep up with him for long, and he would have died if they had continued.

By DE, I imagine Palpatine was quite a bit better than he was in ROTS.

23. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
  24. DarthJenari

Dec 17, 2011
    I wouldn't say he owned Jacen, because as you said Jacen put up a fight, got some hits in. (I don't consider that owning. Owning is what Dooku did to Anakin and Obi-Wan on Geonosis), but yes I felt Luke could've ended it at anytime. Hell, considering Caedus ([face_sick]) didn't ever know Luke was there Luke could've pinned him to the floor like he did earlier in the novel, walked up and decapitated him. I think it was still an interesting confrontation though. Felt more like a brawl than a traditional duel.

25. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    Palpatine vs Yoda.

The most epic duel of the entire saga and the greatest demonstration of Force power we see in all six films.

Starts out with Yoda casually dismissing Sidious's guards and the Sith Lord replies with a blast of lightning that puts Yoda out of commission.

Ramps up with Sith and Jedi duelling at lightning speeds, the fastest we ever see in the films.

Reaches a climax with Palpatine tossing Senate pods around like they're tennis balls.

The end comes with the mightiest display of Force lightning yet, as Sidious blasts Yoda's lightsaber right out of his hands.

The failure of the Jedi is summed up in that moment, where the lightning ball explodes, and the Sith is able to cling to the high ground, whereas the Jedi falls and hits rock bottom.

Obi-Wan vs Anakin may have been the ultimate clash of brother vs brother, but the Duel in the Senate was the final culmination of the Revenge of the Sith, where the mightiest Sith Lord prevailed against the Master of the Jedi.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.