main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Best Lightsaber Duelist during the PT

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by bjs847725, May 29, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    [image=http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n107/SithStarSlayer/RemoveCowl.gif]

2. PerfectCell

PerfectCell Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 3, 2005
    Going based on what I've seen Maul was flashier and had more style than Sidious, but Sidious was much faster and had far more accomplishments with his saber than Maul. In the end that's the only way you can actually judge who is the best lightsaber duelist, how theyu fared against other duelists. Sidious destroyed three greatr Jedi duelists and held his own with his sabre against Yoda, another greatr duelist. That surpasses in my mind anything that Maul was able to accomplish with a saber. Windu only has one saber duel but in that duel he bested the man who has shown to be the best with the blade. Mace systematically took apart Sids, and in the end Mace stood triumphant over the best duelist the entire saga had ever shown. That is why Mace is hands down the best duelist in the entire PT.

3. Jean-vic

Jean-vic Jedi Youngling

Mar 10, 2007
    I've heard Sidious threw the fight to get Anakin on side. I'm not doubting Mace's prowess, but compared to Yoda and Sidious he wasn't the best. And I do doubt that Sidious was the best we saw. I think Yoda was better than him.

4. Admiral_Akbar13

Admiral_Akbar13 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 26, 2007
    Sidious is not a swordsman. He prefers the force, as we see in the Yoda vs. Sids fight. He said that he uses the lightsaber to embarrass the Jedi, and prove how ignorant their order has become. Sith don't use lightsabers when they are on Sids level, it is out of spite of the Jedi. Even in ROTJ palps says "Ah, yes, a Jedi's weapon". Mace on the other hand was more of a swordsman, he used his force skills to guide his sword. Yoda is a balance of the two, IMO.

5. Master_Starwalker

Master_Starwalker Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2003
    I agree on Yoda, but disagree on Mace. I'd say more, but it's a bit of a sore topic around here due to past discussions.

6. PerfectCell

Jun 3, 2005
    The idea that Sids threw that fight still remains one of the more ludicrous stances ever taken on this board. The facts are that from everything we are shown in the films Sids is the best duelist, but when he faces Mace he is taken apart with relative ease, thus Mace is the best duelist in the entire PT.

7. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    It all comes down to the "uh" sound made by Lucas in the commentary.:rolleyes:

8. DarkStarkiller

DarkStarkiller Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 20, 2007
    best Jedi duelist: Yoda
    best Sith duelist: Dooku

favorite duelist and character: Darth Maul

9. Master_Starwalker

Sep 20, 2003
    Best Jedi Duelist: Mace Windu
    Best Sith Duelist: Darth Sidious

Favorite Jedi Duelist: Obi-Wan Kenobi
    Favorite Sith Duelist: Darth Vader

10. Jean-vic

Jean-vic Jedi Youngling

Mar 10, 2007
    Best Jedi Duelist: Yoda
    Best Sith Duelist: Darth Sidious

Favourite Jedi duelist (and character): Obi Wan
    Favourite Sith Duelist: Darth Maul

11. MasterAnders

MasterAnders Jedi Youngling star 1

May 27, 2002
    Jean-vic: You seem to underestimate Anakins capabilities.
    He is argueably the most powerfull jedi ever, and his capabilities in ROTS is far beound Obi.
    Anakin owns Dooku and Dooku is one of the best duelist in the Galaxy.

12. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003
    Too bad that wasn't the case (after the edits to B.O.T.H.) on Mustafar.
    If Lucas had left it alone, then I would agree. He chopped the duel up worse than Kenobi chopped up Vader.

Maul was the best by far, in my book.

13. Juggernaut86

Juggernaut86 Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 7, 2005
    Co Sign...this also showed that an Anakin thas wasnt mentally unstable was practically unstoppable

14. Jean-vic

Jean-vic Jedi Youngling

Mar 10, 2007
    Why am I underestimating Anakin? Because I don't think he is either the best jedi duelist or the best sith duelist? Anakin may have bested Dooku, but beating Yoda and Sidious is a completely different thing. Anakin isn't capable of that, IMO. And I still stick by my thoughts on Obi vs Ani in Episode 3. And I'm still confused as to everyone's problem with it. They fought and Obi Wan's mastery of Soresu and greater mentality and experience won him the fight. I mean, it's not as if we have seen Vader ever beat Kenobi, is it. Even in ANH, he couldn' beat Obi Wan. Two fights and Anakin won neither of his own accord. Maybe we should all look at Obi Wan's achievement in beating Anakin while he was in a sith rage, and not moan about it.

About him being the most powerful jedi ever, I doubt it. He would have been if Obi Wan hadn't injured him. His suit and injuries cut his potential in the force and he never became what he was supposed to be. At the end of the 6 films, he was still weaker than Yoda, Sidious, Luke and other greats that had gone before.

But tell me this, anyone who wants to answer. If ROTS Obi Wan had fought Vader in ANH, who would have won then?

15. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    I don't think that's the case. Where did you get that idea?

16. Jean-vic

Jean-vic Jedi Youngling

Mar 10, 2007
    Exactly. Well said. There were other Jedi that were arguably more powerful. Look at Luke Skywalker, Yoda, Mace Windu, Revan (The Heart of the Force.) And maybe even Obi Wan. Anakin was very powerful, but there were others. The only thing is, Anakin's power was shown more because he is the main character in the story. We saw glimpses of Yoda's power and other Jedis' powers but we know they were powerful. And besides, like people have said, you can't follow everyhting you see on screen. One minute we have Obi Wan being beaten by Dooku easily, then he takes on Grievous alone and wins, and Anakin alone and wins. Luke was four years into his training and he beat Vader. I don't think Vader was all that powerful because of his injuries and suit, but from what we know, he would have been able to beat Luke after four years. Don't trust what you see. That's why I don't believe that Anakin was as powerful as he was sometimes made out, because in other scenes he wss shown to be weaker than that.

17. PerfectCell

Jun 3, 2005
    If you bring Revan into the discussion then you are bringing the EU into the discussion, and one of the things that the EU has stressed is how uber powerful Anakin was.

18. Jean-vic

Jean-vic Jedi Youngling

Mar 10, 2007
    Well, I saw nothing special from Anakin in all honesty. I think he was very powerful, but not the most powerful. I have said who I think are more powerful than him so I won't repeat myself. But like I and others have said, don't always believe what you see or read. It can change easily.

19. Master_Starwalker

Sep 20, 2003
    The problem is he's mentally unstable the majority of the time until he becomes Lord Vader.

20. Juggernaut86

Juggernaut86 Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 7, 2005
    true..but it is without question that he is the achilles of the saga..and his mental unstablity was his heel..otherwise he was unstopable

21. Master_Starwalker

Sep 20, 2003
    I'd say it's more he could have been unstoppable but because of his foolishness he never reached that level, though he's still incredibly powerful as Darth Vader.

22. MasterAnders

MasterAnders Jedi Youngling star 1

May 27, 2002
    Mace Windu: "Anakin is arguably the most powerfull jedi...." ROTS Novel
    Obi Wan: " You have become a far greater jedi than I could ever hoped to be"
    Anakin: " The Chancelor is very powerfull, your gonna need my help"

23. sith_rhino

sith_rhino Jedi Master star 2

Jul 9, 2007
    I tend to agree with this thinking, and while my initial reaction was that Mace must be the best because he defeated the Emperor, I realized that the Emperor didn't defeat Yoda in a straight up lightsabre duel-he was "cheated" by using the dark side of the Force. So, I'm not prepared to say that the Emperor is a better duelist than Yoda. And as someone else has pointed out, the Emperor's forte is not necessarily light sabre dueling, but rather using the dark side overall, as well as manipulation and guile.

Also, the lightstabrfe abilities seem somewhat inconsitent. Based on the duel of Dooku vs. Ob-Wan and Anakin at the beginning of ROTS, I would say that Anakin is far better than Obi-Wan. However, Obi-Wan defeats Anakin at the end (yes, largely due to Anakin's arrogance, but I also imagine that Obi-Wan was not going all-out as much as Anakin, because he still thought of him as a brother). So, I don't know what to make of all that, except that the bet duelist is whoever Lucas wants to win the fight in that particular scene.

24. Jean-vic

Jean-vic Jedi Youngling

Mar 10, 2007
    I wouldn't say Anakin was better from that fight. I've heard theories that Dooku was tired because of his age, Anakin was physically stronger and wore him down, Sidious helped Dooku get rid of Obi Wan etc. Maybe Anakin wasn't better than Dooku, just younger and fitter. Plus, Dooku did catch Obi Wan by surprise. Dooku held them both off, only losing to Anakin when a rage set in. Anakin had a lot of rages in this episode but it didn't pay off later.

Arrogance or no, there was still a long battle before that moment and Obi Wan held his own and they were perfect equals. Yes, he won because of Anakin jumping, but also because he was more experienced and more focused. That's what it came down to in the end. Equal in power, equal with the blade but not equal in experience or focus.

25. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003

If you are going by what you've seen, then how can you say that the Jedi Posse was comprised of great duelists? Onscreen, they were the most inept beings to ever ignite light sabers. Their actions proved that they were nothing when compared to Darth Palpatine. There is no way that butchering the Jedi posse is on par with what Maul did when he pwned BOTH Jedi.

Now if yer talkin 'bout Mace and Yoda... you have plenty to work with.
    Battle droids lasted longer than the Jedi Posse.

But for my money, the double-bladed Sith holds the top spot.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.