main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Best Lightsaber Duelist during the PT

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by bjs847725, May 29, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    First of all, the early part of the novel spends a great deal of time exaggerating Anakin's power, only to call him
    "one of the most powerful Jedi alive" in the "I feel lost" scene.

As for the movie quotes, in what way do they imply he is "the most powerful Jedi ever", i.e., in the entire history of the GFFA?

2. Jean-vic

Jean-vic Jedi Youngling

Mar 10, 2007
    LOL. The movie quotes don't ever say that and the movies are the ultimate canon. You can't take the movies at face value because they are what they are. Outside of the movies have to be taken at face value. I mean, the EU says that Vader drew with Boba Fett in a lightsaber duel. How can we believe that? Obi Wan defeated Maul in the films, yet Vader struggled to beat him in the EU, nearly losing in fact. What the novels say is not as important as what the films say, and like Arawn Fenn says, the movies never proclaimed Anakin was the most powerful jedi ever. I actually doubt Mace Windu would say that, considering they wouldn't send Anakin after Grievous so I take it at face value.

As for Obi Wan calling him greater than him. He is going to say that, isn't he, because he was once Anakin's master. Qui Gon said exactly the same of Obi Wan two movies earlier. It means nothing, IMO. It is just a master complimenting his former padawan. I'm sure others did it with other jedi.

3. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    That's just it. Events in the story begin to trump the hyperbolic descriptions of Anakin's power as the inevitable plot moves along.

Of course, "power" seems to have many different ways of manifesting in SW. One thing that is clear is that experience is crucially important as well.

4. SithMasterVrook

SithMasterVrook Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 9, 2005
  5. PerfectCell

PerfectCell Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 3, 2005
    What I've seen would apply to the EU as well where all three have been shown to be and referred to as being great duelists. In the novelization Mace refers to them as the greatest duelists currently at the Temple.

6. Jean-vic

Jean-vic Jedi Youngling

Mar 10, 2007
    Let's do it football style (soccer to the yanks. No offence intended, just a pet name we limeys have for the Americans.) but with some changes. Lightsaber win - in the films - gives 3 points. A draw gives 1 and a loss gives none. If someone beats an opponent more powerful, 4 points, draws with someone more powerful, 2 points and loses to someone more powerful but puts up a good fight 1/2 a point. It's not about flashiness or speed etc. It's about getting the job done.

We'll go battle by battle chronologically.

Qui-Gon vs Maul was a win for Maul because Qui Gon fled. Maul gets 4 because Qui Gon was arguably more powerful. Will change if requested.
    Qui Gon vs Maul Part 2: Maul gets 4 points. Will change if requested.
    Obi Wan vs Maul: Obi Wan gets 4.
    Obi Wan vs Dooku: Dooku gets 3 points.
    Anakin vs Dooku: Dooku gets 3 points. Anakin gets 1/2 for putting up a good fight.
    Yoda vs Dooku: Yoda gets 3 points.
    Anakin vs Dooku Part 2: Anakin gets 3 points. Dooku 1/2.
    Obi Wan vs Grievous: Obi Wan gets 3 points.
    Sidious vs Jedi: Sidious gets 9 points.
    Sidious vs Mace: Mace gets 4 points.
    Yoda vs Sidious: Both get 1 point.
    Obi Wan vs Anakin: Obi Wan gets 4 points. Right, let's tally.

Now the league table from worst to best:

7th= Qui Gon, Jedi and Grievous with 0
    6th= Anakin with 3.5
    5th= Mace and Yoda with 4
    4th= Dooku with 6.5
    3rd= Maul with 8.
    2nd= Sidious with 10
    1st= Obi Wan with 11

Hey, it's a crap system but it's a laugh.

7. Nichtganz

Nichtganz Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 23, 2007
    My Top 3.

1. Darth Maul- what can i say he is a sith marauder, he took on a Jedi Master and a Jedi knight, he couldve killed them both but lost to his own arrogance, instead of finishing off obiwan.

2. Darth Tyrannus- overall he is my number one in the PT.

3. Yoda- And here is my number two :p, besides he is tiny and agile.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.