main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Best moment musically in AOTC?

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by KevinUCF, May 20, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KevinUCF

KevinUCF Jedi Youngling

May 18, 2002
    Mine would HAVE to be the scene where Anakin is confessed to Padme that he killed all the Tusken Raiders, with the Emperor theme playing ominously in the background. I don't care all that much for the Imperial March part, but it's still incredibly awesome to hear it again on the big screen.

2. Sithman

Sithman Jedi Grand Master star 7

Jul 6, 1999
    The Imperial March at the end with the massed Clonetroopers as the sun sets and Palpatine looks on.

It was an amazing arrangement of the theme, as well.

3. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    Both of those musical moments are amazing and I would pick one of those two myself. but for the sake of diversity in discussion I will say the sweeping statement of Yoda's theme towards the end of the film... erhm... ummmm... when Yoda does something way cool... hey wait it's the 20th... spoilers are allowed now. When Yoda saves Obi-Wan and Anakin from being crushed.

:D

I feel dirty posting that outside the AOTC PSA forum... [face_devil]

-Strilo, who is still ecstatic to have Sithman back and posting in here

4. Jeff 42

Jeff 42 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 14, 1998
    For me it's the two final scenes in the movie, starting with the Imperial March and then going into a sweeping rendition of the love theme which leads into the end credits. Haunting and beautiful.

5. Sithman

Jul 6, 1999
    Stri,
    How about the music, WHEN JANGO GETS BEHEADED?

Mwuahahahahahaha, I feel evil. [face_devil]

6. Darthkarma

Darthkarma Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 30, 2000

Kind of hard to choose, they were lots of great moments.

Here's my top 3...

1. The cue when Anakin leaves the Lars homestead and William's segues into DOTF,
    Schmi's death, the massacre, the confession.
    Musically, this whole section of the film is superb.

2. The sweeping statement of the love theme as Anakin and Padme' are brought into the arena.

3. The cue as Count Dooku enters Coruscant space and lands and speaks with Sidious until the directorial credit, is magnificent. And the love theme during the wedding very much has the same feel as the music in the final ESB scene, in fact the shot on-screen is composed almost identically, with 2 Skywalkers, C3PO and R2.

Great job, Mr. Williams.

7. Moeskywalker64

Moeskywalker64 Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 13, 2002
    I think that the Imperial March and the Emperor's theme were used in a hair raising and portentous manner. Man I get chills because the scenes perfectly suit them. I have to agree with you guys that the whole Raider massacre and confession scene's mood matched the music.

8. IfAnakinLikedJazz

IfAnakinLikedJazz Jedi Master star 4

Mar 22, 2002
    I like, during the Tusken Camp scene, when Anakin is holding Shmi in his arms and crying. THe clarinet comes in with a descending passage, and the strings are swelling around an A minor chord, and the mid strings (viola i think) pick up the clarinets theme, and the chord changes to (frogive me if i'm wrong i'm trying to hear the orchestration in my head) a diminished, i believe, and then there is silence, and then that frantic violin motif, and you see his face change to one of absolute rage.

Chilling.....it fits soooo perfectly

9. theAmazing_Cider_Man

theAmazing_Cider_Man Jedi Youngling

May 20, 2002
    best part definately is anakin on the speeder driving to find his mother with Duel of the Fates playin, i wanted to hear more DOTF in the movie but oh well

10. MoffJake

MoffJake Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 24, 2001
    Besides those already mentioned I thought I would point out one of the more subtle cues. It's when Anakin is meditating the morning after his, uhm, nightmare. Padme comes in and they exchange some words. Here's an excerpt from John Takis's score analysis over at JWFan.net

Anakin's Resolution (1:28) * Unreleased
    A lovely horn solo as Padmé approaches Anakin about his nightmares. Anakin decides he has to return to his mother, and we hear a brief statement of Anakin's theme, followed by the Force theme.

And there's also Shmi's theme when Anakin is chatting with Obi-Wan on Padme's balcony. I love these little moments where we get to revisit familiar themes. :)

11. Mad_Ewok

Mad_Ewok Jedi Master star 3

Apr 26, 2002
    The Force Theme and Duel of the Fates back to back

12. Dayda_Amidala

Dayda_Amidala Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 28, 2001
    Even though it had to do mostly with the way they edited it, I loved the part during their first kiss when the Love thime swelled up, then just... died. That was classic.

I also liked the music during the picnic when Padme was running and Anakin was on the Shaak. It's a happier, lighter version of the love theme, which is kinda dark on it's own. On the cd, it's track #8 from 1:40 - 2:00

13. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    Stri,
    How about the music, WHEN JANGO GETS BEHEADED?

Mwuahahahahahaha, I feel evil.

Actually it's funny you mention that. I saw AOTC again today and I have to say. The filmscore hackjob using recordings from TPM REALLY detract from this moment when Jango is beheaded, as well as the scene where Boba picks up his helmet. These two scenes have not NEARLY the impact they could have if the right music had underscored them instead of recycled music from TPM.

BAH!!!!!

14. JediTidus

JediTidus Jedi Youngling star 1

May 5, 2002
    I would have to agree on the DOTF coming on when Anakin is speeding towards the Tusken camp.

15. gonzoforce

gonzoforce Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 27, 2002
    The Force Theme & Imperial March.
    I also like how it cuts right from The Imperial March to the Love Theme at the end.

16. pennywise

pennywise Jedi Youngling star 1

May 7, 2002
    AOTC has a much, much better soundtrack than TPM for sure. Some of my favourite music moments:

- The low chanting voice in the background that accompanied Dooku inflicting wounds to Obi-Wan. It made Dooku seem creepier!

- Yoda's theme playing in a slower arrangement. I had ESB nostalgia! Sweet music, it is. Hmmm.

- The new arrangement of Empire's theme was awesome. Nuff said.

- Opening scene when the ship arrives on a planet and got blown up. Music has similar feeling to ESB's Dagobah swamp.

- The Force theme playing during Tatooine. That scene is like the missing link to ANH. It felt really wonderful!

- The "theme" AOTC music. Its great, much like the love theme for Han and Leia, with a hint of doomed romance between Anakin/Padme.

17. OB_Wan_Baloney

OB_Wan_Baloney Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 15, 2002
    My favorite musical moments include:

1. The Bernard Herrmann "psychoesque" music played during the Tusken slaughter/Anakin's confession.

2. The cue of the force theme into DOTF when Anakin sets off to find his mother.

3. The cue of the imperial march when the clones are boarding the ships.

4. Any scene with the "Love Theme" playing.

18. Shloz

Shloz Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 13, 2001
    I would agree about the Force theme-DOTF medley on Tatooine. The final statements of the Imperial March were inspiring (though I think still a bit out of place - it isn't the Empire yet), and the segue to the Love Theme was terrific. The final Love Theme during the wedding was incredible, because it was not triumphant, but rather melancholy and foreboding. Notice how the end credits also ended that way, no triumphant SW music statement?

Also, I for one appreciated the use of Yoda's theme during the conveyor belt fight with the Geonosians. I think there's a message here that was first stated in ESB. Maybe I'll post about it myself.

19. JediCulture

JediCulture Jedi Master

May 4, 2002
    Across The Stars/Love Theme, obviously.

Force Theme running into Duel of the Fates.

I also quite like the music when Obi-Wan arrives on Kamino.

Plus the Zam chase music is growing on me.

20. Jaina02

Jaina02 Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 8, 1999
    The entire end of the movie with the Imperial March into the Love Theme... too bad they didn't use the last track on the cd in the movie with the Love Theme going into Anakin's theme and then going into the Imperial March... it was so moving that I cried when I first heard it.

The Zam Wessel Chase is just so fun!

21. Sithman

Jul 6, 1999
    So, stri, was that your 3rd or 4th time seeing it? I can't remember.

Oh, and I love Zam chase music! Percussion! Yay!

22. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    That was my 4th time.

23. Sithman

Jul 6, 1999
    Lucky dog! :p

I'm seeing it next weekend.... *~*DIGITALLY*~* :D

24. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    Yeh I am gonna drive up to Seattle and see it digitally up there....

25. JohnWilliams00

JohnWilliams00 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 29, 2002
    I like the percussion beats in Zam's music. Like when it shows her sniping at Obi Wan, the drums beat in a savage way. I wonder why John Williams chose to do this, though I like it because it's unique and refreshing.

Maybe the savage drum beats are alluding to Zam's mysterious origin?

Other great moments:

-Imperial March at end.
    -Duel of the Fates
    -Trade Federation theme playing with the troops.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.