main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Best Musical Ever

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by lukesgirlie, Dec 28, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi_Nat

Jedi_Nat Jedi Master star 5

Nov 28, 2000
    Stage Musicals - can't go past We Will Rock You. The West End version I went to rocked, and I must admit, the Oz version was pretty good too. Ben Elton changed bits and pieces in the Oz version to make it more "Austrailised" and it worked a treat! The only downside - the casting of Annie Crummer as Killer Queen (who puts a Kiwi in a musical?) and the stage design, as it was made for the Domion Theatre. Will be seeing it again in Sept - if it's still on - amongst other things.

As for musical movies - too many too mention but I loved Phantom of the Opera (but prefer the stage musical more).

2. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    See, I wouldn't count We Will Rock You as a musical. For me, the songs need to be written FOR the show. IMO, We Will Rock You is a glorified tribute show (Granted, it's an exceptionally staged tribute show, but not a musical). The same goes for Mamma Mia, Blues Brothers, and Return to the Forbidden Planet. All great shows, but not "musicals" :)

3. Jedi_Nat

Nov 28, 2000
    Meh, I don't care.

4. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    LOL! And so you shouldn't! I was just being pedantic :)

5. Jedi_Nat

Nov 28, 2000
    Why you little.... :mad: I'm such an easy target.... [face_blush]

In that case, I can't say Shout was another musical I enjoyed, as it was based on the life of J O'K.....

Rodgers and Hammerstein's Cinderella? Now that's one show I'd like to tour around Oz....

6. lukesgirlie

lukesgirlie Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 30, 2005
    Theres also a series on BBC2 thats moved over from BBC4 about the history of broadway which I have discovered. Todays was mostly about Fosse. I never really realised before, I guess because I've never thought about it, but before Lloyd Webber hardly any musical theatre came from the UK. Everything in the West End was from Broadway.

7. Welshguy

Welshguy Jedi Master star 4

Jun 2, 2002
    It's a hundred and six miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses.

HIT IT!

Blues Borthers all the way baby.

Plus it's got Princess Leia in it, so it must rock!

8. Black_Scout

Black_Scout Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 10, 2003
    I've no idea really, I haven't seen enough of them to comment; although I really enjoyed Blood Brothers when I saw that, and Fame was amazing when I watched that as well. I've heard Cats is quite good, and I learnt a couple of bits from it and I loved doing them too.

And for those fans of Les Mis; I'm doing this dancing thing in April and one of the teachers is in Les Mis at the West End at the moment, and before that she was in Cats, I'm do excited [face_dancing]

9. Lord-Tice

Lord-Tice Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 20, 2001
    Does the South Park film count??
    Or Team America?? [face_batting]

I don't quite grasp musicals but I did really enjoy the film Dancer in the Dark[./i]
    I went to see We Will Rock You a couple of years back and that was good but mainly because they performed Queen songs.
    That said, if I had to take someone out for a good night, I'd definitely consider going to a musical even though I would probably not like it.

10. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    The South Park movie would count in the same way that Disney films count. The characters sing the songs. Team America wouldn't count as only one song is sung by the characters ("Aids"). The other songs are background music.

How many songs does a musical have to have?

11. woodlebert1

woodlebert1 Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 17, 2005
    i saw les mis at the queens theatre recently. [face_dancing] sweeet!

i saw producers too, but i wasnt so keen on that. wasnt my kinda huour, but ill go see the latest movie version at the cinema o'course

12. Mustafar_66

Mustafar_66 Force Ghost star 6

May 20, 2005
    I love that song...

13. JONJEDI

JONJEDI Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 11, 2002
    The songs from the South Park movie get stuck in my head for months after watching it. I love that movie! [face_laugh]

14. mvwg3003

mvwg3003 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 10, 2005
    Singin' In The Rain has always been my favourite musical (in English). I find it hilarious and all the in-jokes and the irony of it all.:D

15. Lord-Tice

Lord-Tice Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 20, 2001
    Kim Jong II also sings a song in Team America, so maybe it does count after all ;)
    The Pearl Harbor song was great too, and was sung by one of the characters but not directly to camera (if that makes sense?). And the montage song was classic too...yes, in my book this film is boarding sheer genius :D

16. lukesgirlie

Jan 30, 2005
    [face_thinking]

What does actaully make a musical a musical?

17. Black_Scout

Nov 10, 2003
    I'd say singing, dancing and a place on Broadway always help

18. lukesgirlie

Jan 30, 2005
    Yep...I guess the border line ones are just a matter of opinion though.

19. Black_Scout

Nov 10, 2003
    Chicago's on tonight, so I can finally watch it and people will no longer look at me in disbelif when I say I've never seen it

20. Mustafar_66

Mustafar_66 Force Ghost star 6

May 20, 2005
    Hell, even I've seen Chicago...

21. Glass_Onion

Glass_Onion Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 29, 2005
    I'm really not into musicals all that much, Out of what few I've seen I'ld probelly say 'Phantom of the Opera' is my fave.

22. Black_Scout

Nov 10, 2003
    My dance class talk about all these musicals and sit in total unawareness; I haven't seen The Sound of Music. Watched Amadeus recently though, that's an almost must for classical musicians, apparently, and it is an amazing film

23. Baza

Baza Jedi Padawan star 4

May 24, 2005
    I'm probably just showing my ignorance here but I thought Les Miserable was rubbish. The story made no sense to me, the songs were repetitive and dry, and I was just generally disappointed. Most. Overrated. Musical. Ever!!!

I guess my favourite musical would be The Phantom of the Opera which is just brilliant. Though I did enjoy Jerry Springer The Opera [face_thinking]

24. Happy Ninja

Happy Ninja Jedi Knight star 6

Mar 20, 2000
    South Park: Bigger, Longer, and Uncut.

Hands down, the funniest, laugh-out-loud, musical film of all time! :D

I also like Chicago as well. I own the DVD and the Soundtrack - and believe it or not, I'M NOT GAY! [face_chicken]

25. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003

Very true, one of the funniest films I've seen in quite a while.

Team America for Broadway anyone???

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.