main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Best opening sequence of the PT?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by True Sith, May 11, 2015.

1. True Sith

True Sith Jedi Master star 4

May 10, 2015
    The OT films' opening scenes get all of the praise and recognition, and rightly so in many cases, but I've always thought that the beginnings of each of the prequels were quite well done also. From Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan in action on the TF ship, to the Padme decoy bombing, to the Battle of Coruscant, which of the prequels had your favourite opening scenes?

Might as well start my first thread here!

2. HaloWithStyle

HaloWithStyle Jedi Master star 2

May 11, 2015
    I though Revenge of the Sith's opening was perfect when I first saw it.

3. DarthSheev

DarthSheev Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 9, 2015
    I've gotta go with ROTS. The pounding drums and the camera moving downwards revealing the Battle of Coruscant was just awesome. One of the best battle scenes in the entire saga, IMO. The entire rescue of Palpatine scene was pretty good as well.

4. Ginkasa

Ginkasa Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jun 13, 2002
    I would have preferred more dogfighting than the silliness with the buzz droids, but the opening to RotS also gets me right in the mood.

Sarge and Force Smuggler like this.
  5. Cryogenic

Cryogenic Force Ghost star 5

Jul 20, 2005
    They're all decent, but nothing beats the viscerality of ROTS' opening, in my opinion.

Still remember being awed -- even scared -- when those drums started and that megalithic space cruiser loomed large on the screen.

I also remember how freakishly detailed and clear that thing looked on the big screen. Loses all of its punch at home.

But I think TPM probably has the coolest opening sequence. Does that make sense?

A serene start with pacing in a conference room and some eminently beautiful advice: "Be mindful of the Living Force, my young padawan..." The epic roar of that Republic ship exploding, seeing Jedi snap to attention and gassed, then watching those blades light up abstractly in the smoke as they mop battle droids, doing their stuff...

Qui-Gon cutting into the blast door as the Force Theme blares loud, lanky aliens with goofy accents freaking out, battling deadly robots with bubble shields to a stand-still, and speeding off in a blur; then dropping through vents, all cat-like, a moment later, completely unharmed... DAMN!

The icing on the cake being the way the resplendent image of Queen Amidala ripples onto that viewscreen, just moments after the conclusion of that glorious manga-like action opener. Too cool for words. Except these ones: "Beware, Viceroy..."

And while AOTC has a very mellow start, albeit with a brusque explosion (another starship quickly lost to evil), and even an early death that affects one of the main characters, it slowly winds itself up to a startlingly memorable night-time air chase: possibly the coolest blend of action and character dynamics (I won't say development) in the entire series. Very bluesy; even down to the improv shown by its young protagonist.

But, yeah, ROTS.

6. NotSoScruffyLooking

NotSoScruffyLooking Jedi Master star 3

Mar 20, 2009
    AotC is the best because it gives you insight into Padme's character, wheras TPM and RotS are basically action scenes. RotS is better than TPM though.

TX-20 likes this.
  7. Kenobi098

Kenobi098 Jedi Knight star 1

May 8, 2013
    Tpm For me. That just screamed star wars is back when obiwan and quigon took off there hoods. When I saw it in the theater it go a standing ovation there and when we see the lightsabers ignite in the mist of the poison gas.

Joanne2108 and Cryogenic like this.
  8. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    TPM has my favourite opening sequence, but RotS has the best opening shot.

Saga Explorer, Cyreides and Cryogenic like this.
  9. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    The opening of AOTC, where the camera pans up instead of down is wonderful.

10. Cryogenic

Cryogenic Force Ghost star 5

Jul 20, 2005

That's an awesome touch that conveys a lot of meaning.

AOTC is an exquisitely symbolic movie.

11. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    The opening to TPM is the most nostalgic for me as I vividly remember seeing it opening night and being so happy that there was a new Star Wars movie, but I have to go with the opening of ROTS as the one I think is the best; one of the best parts of the entire PT for me.

12. Chancellor Yoda

Chancellor Yoda Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 25, 2014
    I'm going to have to go with the popular choose: ROTS. That opening shot with drums beating always gives me the chills.

-Jedi Joe- likes this.
  13. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    ROTS no contest.

-Jedi Joe- likes this.
  14. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    The opening sequence in TPM is my favorite opening in the entire saga, and my favorite part of the entire PT. It's an amazing opening, absolutely perfect. Love it, love it, love it.

Kenobi098 likes this.
  15. -Jedi Joe-

-Jedi Joe- Jedi Master star 2

May 6, 2013
    RotS, hands down. It followed the philosophy of ANH's opening sequence by throwing you right into the action, rather than using it for exposition. As soon as those drums start beating, you know something big is coming. It's a shame they left that part out of the soundtrack.

16. mes520

mes520 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    I'd say ROTS, the Battle of Coruscant is my favorite space battle. Though TPM and AOTC are pretty good too.

-Jedi Joe- likes this.
  17. Celidore

Celidore Jedi Knight star 3

May 2, 2015
    Battle of Coruscant is my favourite opening of the PT.

Darkslayer and -Jedi Joe- like this.
  18. CT1138

CT1138 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2013
    Came here to make this exact post! =D=

-Jedi Joe- and DarthSheev like this.
  19. TX-20

TX-20 Force Ghost star 4

Jun 21, 2013
    Attack of the Clones

Original, mysterious, haunting. Also Colin Hanks!

Ingram_I likes this.
  20. Blue Ice Cream

Blue Ice Cream Chosen One star 6

Aug 9, 2006
    It's close... very close. All three possess mysterious qualities that intrigue me to this day. They capture my undivided attention every time I watch.

Honestly, I like to let my preference fluctuate according to mood. However, if I'm being forced to make a definitive selection, RotS takes the prize.

mes520 likes this.
  21. MarcJordan

MarcJordan Force Ghost star 4

Nov 17, 2014
    ROTS is the Bomb. The Mother of all starts. In the theatre it was simply surreal and tense. I could sense everyone was riveted. Who else also but John Williams could perfectly meld the sound with the situation on screen. Loved, Loved Loved it!

MJ

DarthSheev and -Jedi Joe- like this.
  22. mes520

mes520 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012

Colin Hanks? Is this about his daughter and more Star Wars' stuff for girls?

23. SlashMan

SlashMan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2012
    Having lived through the hype, there was nothing as exhilarating as Revenge of the Sith's opening battle onscreen. While it defied traditional Star Wars pacing, I'll forgive it for all it delivered. Definitely a finale if I ever saw one. Second place is Phantom Menace.

24. MarcJordan

MarcJordan Force Ghost star 4

Nov 17, 2014
    That camera moving downward thing, gave me a rush and sudden jolt of severe acrophobia. Dizzying but Majestic nonetheless! Everything seemed strangely lull as if there was a ceasefire, until that moment, then SURPRISE...we see barrage of lights, sounds, explosions, a blitz of activity and volatility.
    MJ

25. Ingram_I

Ingram_I Force Ghost star 5

Sep 7, 2012
    Me being me, Attack of the Clones.

Not that I don't admire the trilogy's clear shift overall. The Phantom Menace commences unassumingly with businesslike manner directly into the plot—all formalities and cool customer Jedi Knights; Qui-Gon in particular seems no more phased after the fighting starts than when he's first just sitting there drinking some coffee, chillin'. Revenge of the Sith by comparison flips everything, less a conventional intro (even by Star Wars standards) than it is a grand, cinematic banzai. That initial battle-drumming is almost tribal, while everything that follows plays as a geographical stream of consciousness: cockpits, the hangar bay, elevator shafts, the observation platform, more elevator shafts, corridors, the command bridge, the planet surface runway ...all of it paced together so relentlessly, it's frankly absurd, even comical. I totally get why fans champion it.

But I'm more about mood. The trilogy's middle installment favors hypnosis with Coruscant's soothing orbital traffic and spiraling liquid starship reflections that give way to vapor. Whenever revisiting the movies, I always do so in order and the first thing that strikes me every time, no matter how many rewatches, is the transition from Episode I's brochure filmic texture to the videographic gossamer that right away defines the in-camera space and movement of Episode II; that infamous "soap opera" effect. Even the mise-en-scène direction indulges this quality. Especially on the landing platform, there is something distinctly stagey in how Typho and Padme (in disguise) first step out of their vehicles and walk into center frame, hitting their marks and exchanging glances in a vaguely rehearsed manner. The whole scene feels like visualized radio theater, more pulpy and B-serialized than ever before.

Also, Natalie Portman is rather fetching in her Nubian starfighter pilot uniform.