main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Best order for a first timer to view the saga NOW?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Luukeskywalker, Mar 13, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Trojan_Sock

Trojan_Sock Jedi Youngling star 4

Feb 27, 2003
    Good point.

Maybe the viewpoint of the girl towards the guy would be more important than her viewpoint towards the films. ;)

2. Emos-Edud

Emos-Edud Jedi Padawan star 4

May 29, 2002
    I'd bet that your girl will, by the end of TPM, assume that Sidious is Palpatine. I know many newbies who were able to make the same conclusion. If not, they had it figured out by the end of AOTC. You do not have to be familiar with the OT, because Lucas has made it covertly obvious (yeah, it's an oxymoron). This is not at all a point for bashing, though. We are all supposed to have it 'figured out' by Ep3.

The only question is why...

3. rpeugh

rpeugh Force Ghost star 4

Apr 10, 2002
    Well, after we watched TPM in the theaters, I told my dad that the Senator is the Emporer from ROTJ. And he said, "How the heck to you know that!!???" As if you had to be a SW geek to know.

4. THE_MISSING_TRIPLET

THE_MISSING_TRIPLET Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 28, 2003
    show her episodes 1-2 then hope she forgets about star wars all together then wen episode 3 comes out you can show her the rest.. unlikely i suggest 45612 thats the way most of us came to know and love star wars

5. ZethTrooper

ZethTrooper Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 1, 2000
    I don't post here very often, but I was intrigued by this topic. I just got finished showing my own girlfriend the saga. I chose to do it 4-5-6-1-2.

I think that this is the best way to show a newcomer the saga mostly because it doesn't leave a gap between 2 and 4. That would have raised a few questions I would think.

Anyways, so today we finished up with TPM and AOTC, and she never picked up that Palpatine was Sidious, even though I started giving her hint after hint.

Using that order, she was itching to see Episode III, and was mad it isn't coming out till 2005.

6. Trojan_Sock

Feb 27, 2003
    Told ya so. :D

7. Luukeskywalker

Luukeskywalker Force Ghost star 5

Jun 23, 1999
    Hehe

What did she think of the saga Zeth? Did she have a favorite? Did she seem to like the OT better than the PT? Or the other way around?

8. miked81_98

miked81_98 Jedi Youngling

Mar 15, 2003
    Definately 45612;

You want to show her the original trilogy because that is the way George intended it to be seen.
    Plus you get the tension then with watching the new two.

9. Luukeskywalker

Jun 23, 1999
    No, I don't exactly know where you got the idea that the way George has intended they be seen (45612). In fact, he stated quite the opposite many times in the past. There is a reason why Epiosde I is entitled Episode I and why Episode IV is called Episode IV.

10. ZethTrooper

Oct 1, 2000
    Well, Luuke, her favorite was AOTC, she thought it had the best story.

Out of the OT, she liked ANH the best, and thought ESB was the worst. She completely hated when Han said "I know." She said she wouldn't have kept him if she was Leia.

She seemed to favor the PT more than the OT, which I found interesting.

11. Luukeskywalker

Jun 23, 1999
    To be quite honest, that doesn't suprise me. I think more people have a favorable opinion of the PT when either they have never seen SW before or if they aren't into all that much.

Really, it seems the main people who view the PT as far inferior are those who grew up their entire lives worshipping the OT.

But that debate is for another discussion thread.

12. rpeugh

rpeugh Force Ghost star 4

Apr 10, 2002
    Zethtrooper, I would keep her if I were you. What did she think of the Anakin-Padme love story specifically, compared to the Leia-Han love story?

13. ZethTrooper

Oct 1, 2000
    I plan on keeping her.

She thought that the AOTC love story was more interesting than the Han/Leia one. She sat quiet through the OT when we watched it awhile back, and when I showed her AOTC, she kept talking about how it was much better.

By the Kamino fight, she had already said AOTC was the best movie. After the Anakin/Shmi stuff she asked me if this is when he becomes Vader which I found interesting.

The Yoda fight wasn't that special to her though. She said it was a good fight, but she didn't see why people got excited for it.

I found it very interesting more or less "seeing" the saga from a newcomers point of view. Things just jumped out at me that I had taken for granted. I like the PT much more after seeing how she didn't figure out alot of stuff I figured was common knowledge, such as Sidious=Palpatine, and she didn't figure out until near the end of AOTC that Padme was Luke and Leia's mother.

14. DarthMaul13

DarthMaul13 Jedi Youngling star 4

Nov 26, 1998
    First time viewers will always like the PT more than the OT, due mainly to the FX. But after several viewings they will come to appreciate the OT's story more.

I suggest showing 45612. The way they were released. ANH does a better job of explaining the force and all things Star Wars.

15. Trojan_Sock

Feb 27, 2003
    "ANH does a better job of explaining the force and all things Star Wars."

Can't argue that. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.