main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Best PT/ST opening episode: TPM or TFA? *POLL included*

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Darth Downunder, Mar 5, 2016.

?

TPM or TFA. The better movie is:

1. The Phantom Menace

100 vote(s)
    46.1%
  2. The Force Awakens

117 vote(s)
    53.9%
  1. DBPirate

DBPirate Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2015
    I prefer TPM, because I feel like it had the sort of childish charm to it that made Star Wars unique. The Force Awakens, while very much a Star Wars film, still feels a bit out of place, almost like a 21st century reboot kind of a thing.

Plus, while TPM shines in originality, TFA seems to be focused more on nostalgia and such, though I don't want to get into the details of that. TFA also seems more like a sort of "reaction" to fans' responses, while TPM doesn't pander to OT fans and goes on its own path.

Character-wise, I'd say they're about equal (Rey was the only character I "really liked" other than Han in TFA) but story-wise, it's definitely TPM for reasons I'm sure everyone knows.

2. Bee Bee

Bee Bee Jedi Master star 3

Dec 23, 2015
    -The whole Tatooine segment of the movie felt overly contrived as the problem of getting off the planet and back to Coruscant could have been solved by simply hiring a pilot to take them there. Much like Han Solo's role in ANH. Mos Espa is a space port after all. The characters act as if the Podrace is their only hope.

-Where did all the trade federation ships go when the cast returns to Naboo. In the end there's conveniently only one droid control ship and the entire blockade is gone. This could possibly have an explanation but the movie doesn't seem to give one- again feels very contrived for the sake of the plot and doesn't make much sense.

-Why bring Anakin to the battle if his only job was to hide. If he's so important to Qui-Gon it seems silly and reckless to risk his life there.

-Qui-Gon announces the possible return of the Sith to the council and yet they send no additional jedi to aid at the battle of Naboo. Seems like something they would be more concerned about.

These are a few things in the movie that don't make much sense to me. If you or anyone else could explain them I'm all ears.

3. Darth Downunder

Darth Downunder Chosen One star 6

Aug 5, 2001
    I agree the plot of TPM is a mess.

Samuel Vimes and DarthCricketer like this.
  4. Visivious Drakarn

Visivious Drakarn Jedi Master star 3

Apr 20, 2013
    May I offer some insights?
    Yes, they could've hired a pilot. Of course, there's a problem of paying him as we all know they have no money. The queen can't go to Naboo to get some, the Jedi don't have anything. Is it possible to find a pilot on Tatooine that'll fly them to the capital?

It makes perfect sense. Remember these lines: Is the planet secure? - We have taken over the last pockets of primitive life-forms. We are in complete control of the planet now. Is there any need for all those ships to remain there, besides the one which controls the droids?

TPM didn't explore any other possibilities. What could Qui-Gon have done? Leave the boy at his quarters in the Jedi temple? Leave him somewhere? He couldn't just have taken Anakin and then dumped him somewhere because he has a job to do. It does seem him a reckless thing to do, yes, but it's also the only thing to do. As far as I can see it.

Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan go to Naboo to protect the queen, not to fight a war. Also, the Sith are the enemies of the Jedi, not of Qui-Gon. Who says Maul would follow them to Naboo... Besides us, the audience?

5. Samuel Vimes

Samuel Vimes Force Ghost star 4

Sep 4, 2012
    Simplicity itself.
    Qui-Gon goes to a trader, one NOT Force immune and uses his republic credits to buy valuable stuff and then he sells it to another trader. Presto, he has Tatooine currency.
    Or simply sell their ship. Granted it was broken but it would most likely have fetched a good prize, enough to buy transport for 4-5 people.
    Also, this whole plot point relies on there not being ANY way to exchange currency on Tatooine. Which makes little sense. We are told that people from all over the outer territories have come to Tatooine to see the pod race. Are they unable to exchange their currency for the local currency so they could buy stuff?
    No, such a ban makes little sense and would only serve to cripple any and all business on Tatooine.

Except that the TF deny that they have invaded the planet and they want to make it seem like nothing has changed. So keeping the ships there makes sense. Also, Palpatine knew that Padme would be going back so he would have told the TF of this and they could have brought some ships back and been ready for her.
    Also, the TF have no reason to remove the ships unless they are needed elsewhere. But no such reason is ever given.
    Plus, Padme does not know this so from her and the Jedi's pow, they blockade would still be there and they would get shot down or captured before they could land.

He could have left him in the place where Padme stayed on Coruscant. The Naboo embassy?
    Or he could have left him at the Gungan safe place. But no, the plot needs Anakin to be there and Qui-Gon just brings him into the middle of a war zone for no reason and just tells him to hide once they get inside. This plot point is massively contrived.

[/QUOTE]

The TF have attacked a republic world and in effect declared war on the republic. A republic it is the Jedi's duty to protect. And the Jedi know that the senate has shown itself unable to act. So faced with this serious threat and the possible return of their worst enemy, they Jedi decide to send one Jedi master and one pupil to deal with it.

Also it very much seemed that the Jedi expected Maul to show up on Naboo and that is why Qui-Gon was sent there.
    Why would he say this unless he expected Maul to show up? So Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan were sent into a warzone, to protect Padme AND capture Maul. And they couldn't spare 2-3 more Jedi?

Bye for now.
    Blackboard Monitor

6. Darth Downunder

Aug 5, 2001
    He wouldn't even need local currency to charter a ship. In fact for all of the non-local pilots at the spaceport they'd no doubt demand Credits, not some currency they can only use on Tatooine. Qui-Gon had 50,000. Who knows how much more the Queen had. We saw old Ben book passage with only 2000!! The whole scenario here is so silly & contrived. All they need to do is urgently get to Coruscant. They're at a spaceport & they have enough cash to buy a decent ship let alone charter one. All of Qui-Gon's actions show an obsession with getting the Queen's ship to Coruscant. Not simply the Queen herself. & the Queen goes along with this absurd exercise of hanging around some backwater for days fooling around with some kid while her people are back home suffering & dying! Makes no sense. It's a clumsy contrived way of having the characters meet & interact with Anakin.

Another problem is the mess this movie makes of the Jedi/Chancellor relationship. The crawl & the movie makes it clear that the Chancellor has sent the Jedi to Naboo. Qui-Gon even says they are ambassadors of the Chancellor. Yet the following movies make a big deal about a separation between the Jedi & the Chancellor & that he does not command them. The most ridiculous moment is in the Senate when the Chancellor is challenged about the Naboo situation. His very position is being questioned. He tries to compromise by suggesting that some representatives be sent to Naboo to confirm the claims of the Naboo. What?? Didn't he just do that?? His ambassadors have just returned from doing that very thing. Right now they're around the corner in the Jedi temple. Send someone to get them & they'll tell the Senate exactly what's going on in Naboo. Madness.

7. Torib

Torib Jedi Master star 2

Jan 27, 2016
    Politics often is madness. And it's quite easy for an influential party to flatly deny a truth that everyone is aware of and somehow turn what begins as a blatant falsehood into a respectable belief. In the Roman republic, for example, governors of provinces would routinely engage in massive illegal tax collection and corruption to pay off the massive debts they accrued in seeking office. The provincials often brought lawsuits against them, but inevitably the governors would get off scot free regardless of the evidence against them. Was there a lack of witnesses who could attest to their guilt? No. Rather, the governors simply held so much influence that their own word was sufficient to clear them against all but the very strongest cases, and even there they would still likely be acquitted.

Same thing with the Russian invasion of eastern Ukraine. For months they were able to delay any real response such as sanctions from the EU by flatly denying they were supporting the rebels, even as they continued to send troops, tanks, and anti air systems into the fight. Everyone knew they were doing it, and this is in a world with mobile phone cameras and satellites. There was hardly a lack of evidence. And yet it took months for the EU to even agree to do anything about it, and this was practically on their doorstep.

Or to use one last example, look at how certain industries were able to delay for decades any political agreement on whether global warming is real or not, despite an overwhelming preponderance of cold, hard evidence against them. Madness? Yes, I think so, certainly more ridiculous than anything in the Phantom Menace.

The way I see it, there are probably many senators who privately believe Amidala, but to support her means taking on the influential trade federation as an enemy. No one is going to stick their necks out without ironclad proof. Everyone has to look out for themselves first.

Gamiel, Tonyg, AshiusX and 1 other person like this.
  8. Samuel Vimes

Sep 4, 2012
    You make a good point but consider this. This senate has recently pushed through some new trade tax that the TF really doesn't like. So a majority of senators apparently didn't fear the TF when it comes to taxes.
    If the TF has this much sway over the senate, how did this tax bill ever pass it?

And take Valorum. He saw that the senate was dead-locked about the blockade and unable to act. So he acted himself and sent two Jedi to settle this nonsense.
    Now he knows that the situation has escalated considerably. And now for some reason he won't call on the Jedi to be witnesses?

Bye for now.
    Old Stoneface

9. Darth Downunder

Aug 5, 2001
    What so the entire Senate is going to visit Naboo?
    Point is the Chancellor's "ambassadors" had just returned from there. They're respected Jedi Knights*. I'm sure if they explained the situation the Senate would listen.

*Of course they're not both Jedi Knights, one of them is a Padawan. Even though the opening crawl incorrectly calls them Knights ;)

DarthCricketer likes this.
  10. Torib

Torib Jedi Master star 2

Jan 27, 2016
    True about the taxes having been passed, but it's actually pretty common for there to be poltical blowback in the years immediately after any sort of controversial reform legislation. For a recent example in the US, look at the healthcare reform law. It was perhaps less controversial at the time it passed than it was a year later. Or to use an example from the Roman Republic, consider the land reform legislation passed in the consulship of Julius Caesar. He was able to ram it through and make it law against bitter political resistance, but the political blowback from that among the hardcore conservatives in the senate would come to haunt him and greatly contributed to the civil war 10 years later.

The point I was trying to illustrate with my examples in my post above is that politics has little to do with the actual truth. As long as a highly influential group such as the trade federation cam maintain a shred of deniable plausibility, it can be very difficult to prosecute them. You say you're sure the Senate would listen to the jedi, but that's purely an assumption on your part. There very well could be a fair amount of distrust between these two very different bodies of government. For all we know, Chancellor Valorum's use of the jedi in this instance (they were there to force a settlement, not as ambassadors) may have gone against precedent or laws regarding the limits of his executive authority. After all, he only seems to have sent them long after the situation had deteriorated with the blockade being up for some time and no resolution in the senate looking likely. That it was his last resort, not his first might suggest that there are political risks there for him. Publicly admitting to sending the jedi to force a settlement very well could derail the Senate meeting even further.

Ultimately these scenes are depicting a dysfunctional government. A dysfunctional government that is not interested in the actual truth or the common good. And one from an imaginary galaxy, that has its own peculiar culture and customs. I feel like a lot of these criticisms are equivalent to watching the political scenes in a Kurosawa movie and getting upset when they don't behave according to 21st century expectations. Like a Kurosawa movie, the restrained formality of the political scenes in the Phantom Menace gives it the air of a real, different culture with all sorts of hidden, unspoken, and unexplained customs, rules, and ways of doing things. It's a kind of worldbuilding that perhaps requires that you meet it halfway - to be willing to engage with it with an open mind in that way children do but adults sometimes struggle with. When it works though, it can result in a world that feels vast and alien but also real. I guess it doesn't work for everyone, but personally I'd place the restrained depiction of politics in TPM above, say, Game of Thrones any day in terms of how genuine and memorable it is to me.

Tonyg, Valiowk and {Quantum/MIDI} like this.
  11. Darth Downunder

Aug 5, 2001
    I don't think so. If the Chancellor had sent the Jedi as his ambassadors, as we're told in the film, it must surely have been acceptable & above board. If it were illegal or taboo then the Jedi would not have gone along with it. They would know the rules. If it was some secret under the table exercise the Jedi would never go along with it. What's more if they had they wouldn't turn up to Naboo & openly announce to the Trade Federation & the Naboo that they were acting on behalf of the Chancellor. That news would get straight back to the Senate & cause a scandal if it wasn't the done thing. The TF would use that information. So no, that doesn't make sense. They must've been legitimate ambassadors acting for the Chancellor. Which makes a mockery of Valorum saying he's going to send representatives to check on the situation...5 minutes after his own ambassadors had just returned from doing that exact same thing.

Like I said it also makes a joke out of the issues between the Jedi & the Chancellor later in the trilogy. In RotS it's some huge deal for Palpatine to even suggest that Jedi go off on a particular mission. Someone should have spoken up & said "but how about that time Valorum send two Jedi away as his ambassadors?"

DarthCricketer likes this.
  12. Dagobahsystem

Dagobahsystem Chosen One star 10

Sep 25, 2015
    I've learned a lot more about TPM after reading this thread.

Although I've seen the film over 20 times, there are many points here I never considered, mainly due to nostalgia glasses. Valid, relevant plot points that deserve acknowledgment.

In spite of my love of TPM and the nostalgia factor I felt in 1999 and feel to this day, I must lower it in my rankings. I voted for TFA.

The facts are hard sometimes, but one must face them, bravely, and accept them.

Bee Bee and Darth Downunder like this.
  13. Darth Downunder

Aug 5, 2001
    Still a fun movie with some great stuff in it [face_peace]

Bee Bee and Dagobahsystem like this.
  14. Dagobahsystem

Dagobahsystem Chosen One star 10

Sep 25, 2015
    Well, yes, I love The Phantom Menace and I always will.

I recalculated the math, and I've seen TPM at least 30 times. TPM is amazing.

TFA is, as well.

Ezon Pin, Bee Bee and Darth Downunder like this.
  15. Torib

Torib Jedi Master star 2

Jan 27, 2016
    Think about this. If there were no political risks involved in sending the jedi to force a settlement, why didn't he do so the moment the Federation started acting intransigently? This blockade didn't come out of the blue. Do you really think that every time there's a political dispute the chancellor can simply send jedi agents to coerce the opposition? And that the opposition would be okay with that? Qui gon openly claims to be the ambassador, of course, but he doesn't tell anyone that he's a jedi. I'm not so much saying that the chancellor has no authority to request jedi help, but rather that if his political position in the senate is already tenuous (which we know it is) and then he is seen as abusing his power to coerce his opposition, then that could be the end of him.

Isn't the fact that it is a bid deal in RotS supporting my argument? Anyway that's a very different situation where the relationship between the jedi and the chancellor has deteriorated. As for the delegation they're talking about sending, it would likely be the equivalent of say the UN team that investigated the alleged use of chemical weapons in Syria a few years ago - that is professionals whose neutrality everybody involved agrees to trust. Whereas calling the jedi as witnesses would be more the equivalent of calling cia agents as witnesses - which possibly might have swayed Western European countries but would mean nothing to Russia or China.

This is sort of a tangent though in that it is just one possible reason I threw out as example for why the jedi aren't called to testify. Another might be that they are in fact called in some subcommittee off screen or in private meetings with sympathetic senators, but that the testimony doesn't affect the outcome. Or maybe getting them to testify is impractical for procedural reasons, while getting a queen to testify is a different story. Maybe they would have testified in one or three or six month's time if Amidala had agreed to pursue justice through the courts. My larger point is that with Lucas style worldbuilding, you kind of have to be willing to play along to get the most out of it. The way it's presented works to create a sense of looking through a portal to a real culture with all sorts of rules that are never explained to the viewer. Again, like a Kurosawa movie. I realize some people prefer to have all the rules and inner workings of the world neatly laid out before them (like game of thrones) but I find that approach tends to make the construct of the world feel smaller and more artificial (although GoT does it better than most).

Ezon Pin, Valiowk and Bee Bee like this.
  16. Bee Bee

Bee Bee Jedi Master star 3

Dec 23, 2015
    I appreciate the thoughtful responses Torib. To be honest this part of the movie doesn't bother me too much as I see what George is trying to show through it. It's obvious in Episode 1 that the Senate is supposed to be shown as weak and useless (The same can be said for the jedi council to an extent as they too are weighed down by rules and regulation). This leads to Anakin's desire to see a stronger form of government that is able to take action when necessary, even at the cost of freedom and democracy. Obviously the public feels this way too as shown by their eagerness to get behind Palpatine and his policies later on. So I understand what George was trying to show through these scenes, though the execution could have perhaps been a bit clearer.

Torib likes this.
  17. Samuel Vimes

Sep 4, 2012
    The blockade seemed fairly new. It didn't start yesterday but 1-2 weeks or maybe a month at most.
    From what the film says it seems that the tax bill was voted through the senate, the TF didn't like it and protested. Eventually they went as far to blockade Naboo to force the senate to vote their way.
    The senate debate these "alarming chain of events" but get nowhere.

So Valorum only sent the Jedi when it became clear to him that the senate was at a stand still and couldn't get anything done.
    Also the Jedi were only sent to end the blockade, the larger issue of the tax dispute, that was not part of their mission.

So I don't think Valorum sent the Jedi at the first sign of trouble, he waited for the senate to sort this out. Only when it became clear that it wouldn't, then did he decide to act.
    As I've said before, the involvement of the Jedi WILL eventually be known so the cost to Valorum would not be that great. And no one in the film says anything about Valorum breaking any kind of rules here.

Comparing the Jedi to the CIA isn't really accurate. The Jedi have been the protectors of peace and justice for over 1000 generations. The Force is known to the common people and even regular people use "May the Force be with you" as a kind of blessing. So the Jedi would be a far more respected and honorable institution. The Jedi serve the Republic/senate, not any particular system.
    So they would most likely be the most unbiased source you could have.

While the Catholic church has been quite tarnished by all the scandals over the last decade, take Pope John Paul II. He was overall quite well respected and liked. So if he had been a witness to an invasion of a country and he was called to the UN to verify that an invasion had taken place or not.
    I think his words would carry some weight.

[/QUOTE]

The basic problem is that Valorum must know that the TF have attacked. Qui-Gon did report to him and he must have told him exactly what happened. So the situation is now very grave.
    The blockade was called "Alarming", this is much worse. Plus, as AotC said, the republic has no army while the TF has got a "battle hardened army."
    The TF have stepped over the line and acted in a way that they have not been known for. Who is to say that they will stop with Naboo, they could attack other worlds. So earlier Valorum decided "To heck with this nonsense, I will send two Jedi and put an end to this nonsense, consequences be damned." But here he is suddenly a scared, spineless, sponge.

Ex, say that during the cold war, the Soviet Union had put a military blockade around Hawaii and then they attacked and only the Governor plus two Pentagon officers escaped. They go to Washington and tell this to Congress but they refuse to believe it happened and instead remove the President from office, leaving the country leaderless. Would this make sense to you?

The problem is that the film needs something to happen, Padme calling for a vote of no confidence.
    But how that is achieved is full of holes. If the issue is simply about making sure that the invasion has taken place. Then calling the Jedi would be very simple. But neither Padme nor Valorum mention it and no reason is given to why.

I think Lucas wanted political intrigue and plotting. But to me, if you do that then you need to explain things more clearly. The OT had a simple story so it could be set up quickly. The PT's is more complex but that kind of requires more set up. Otherwise it runs the risk of seeming contrived.
    Which is what I feel the PT does at times.

The basic story is quite good and I don't think it needed much more details for it to work. Sadly that extra effort was not there.

Bye for now.
    Old Stoneface

18. Torib

Torib Jedi Master star 2

Jan 27, 2016
    Unfortunate that this discussion is split across the two threads. I addressed the issue of the appearance of impartiality of the jedi in the other thread so I won't repeat my argument on that here. Comparing Qui Gon Jinn to the Pope is a bit of a stretch imo. The jedi are a secretive order. Compare them to say Shaolin monks. The general population may have a great degree of respect for them, but that doesn't mean their members are well known nor that policymakers at the top of government will necessarily share that level of respect.

Valorum is a scared, spineless sponge in the meeting because he has very little political influence. He tried bypassing the Senate by sending the jedi and it didn't work. He has very few cards to play. I've given several possible reasons why calling the jedi might not be an option. Explaining all those details to the audience is not Lucas' style - it's a situation of doing more with less. You think adding five or ten minutes of exposition on Senate procedure would make for a better Star Wars movie? Star Wars isn't about the literal anyway - it's about telling the story through the visuals, the music, the emotions. The image of the child queen fruitlessly pleading her case to the uncaring Senate is all we need to see. It's effective, memorable, true to life. If as an audience member you're distracted with wondering why they can't do this or that (all things that can be easily answered by the details of senate procedure) then the movie has already lost you.

Ezon Pin likes this.
  19. Darth Downunder

Aug 5, 2001
    The Jedi robes & the lightsabers hanging from their belts may have given them away. Also the Neimoidians immediately know they're Jedi. If this was irregular they would immediately communicate to their Senate representative that 2 Jedi have arrived acting on the orders of the Chancellor. There's no way that makes sense. The Chancellor sending the Jedi was clearly an open & transparent act. They were his ambassadors on this mission. He should've had them confirm the situation to the Senate.

20. Gamma626

Gamma626 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 6, 2014
    I lean towards TFA. I really love TPM though. The problem with TPM to me is that it's just not very connected to the next two films, and as such doesn't really work as a trilogy opener to me. I also have a hard time voting for TFA for that exact reason. I have no idea how the rest of the trilogy will pan out.

So it's a draw, and I won't vote! :p

Torib likes this.
  21. Torib

Torib Jedi Master star 2

Jan 27, 2016
    They were wearing unremarkable hooded robes, but you're right that it's not like they were disguised or anything. And certainly it's not illegal for Valorum to send Jedi on a mission, I may have overstated my case there by implying that it might be. But nevertheless claiming it's "an open and transparent act" seems like overreaching on your part as well. It seemed like a private, behind-closed-doors kind of deal to me. Otherwise I imagine there would have been a much larger retinue of ambassadors, assistants, technocrats, etc. The presentation in the movie suggests to me that Valorum is hoping to resolve this quickly and quietly out of the spotlight. Do you really think the Senate consented to this Jedi mission? Of course not. Which means Valorum sent them without consulting them. Legal? Absolutely. But it doesn't look good politically. Valorum revealing that he had attempted to circumvent the Senate would not be appreciated by the Senators - not a helpful revelation when Queen Amidala's appeal rests upon what sympathy she can generate in the hearing. Valorum is already on very shaky political ground. Admitting to going behind the Senate's back (and failing) undermines his credibility, makes him look weak, and plays into the federation narrative of being unfairly persecuted by his government. They would have no trouble derailing the meeting at that point - remember all the federation wants is to buy time - not hard to do in a dysfunctional system with the amount of influence they wield.

Of course as someone mentioned in the prequel/TFA thread on this topic, this is all academic anyway because Amidala never hadca chance to call witnesses or even finish presenting her case before the federation had interrupted her presentation and succeeded in forcing Amidala to defer her accusations (if she had not chosen to start the vote of no confidence) .

Ezon Pin likes this.
  22. Cryogenic

Cryogenic Force Ghost star 5

Jul 20, 2005
    I think there are a number of ways in which TPM smokes TFA.

But it's sort of like comparing oil and water.

Let us just say, both films reflect a messy gestation, and both are sprawling masterpieces.

However, TPM, to me, just seems that much more sprawling, and that much more of a masterpiece, in retrospect.

But I guess I do like TFA for having a slightly "spooky" quality which none of the other movies possess to quite the same degree.

TFA is haunted by Star Wars itself: by the ghost of Lucas past and present.

It is hard, and a bit of unfair, to directly compare it to any of the others. It more represents a jumping off, a departure, into something new.

Of the old guard, TPM is a masterful opening, in my opinion, and rightly lush, and operatic, and silly, and ponderous, in all sorts of obvious and non-obvious ways.

A bold film that looks and feels even more beautiful with the passage of time.

23. AshiusX

AshiusX Jedi Knight star 3

Feb 7, 2016
    In all honesty.I am surpised at how well TPM is holding up considering its the "TPM". The level of vitriol it experiences from the Internet.

24. Pyrogenic

Pyrogenic Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2006
    I can't wait to see how well TFA functions as the closing episode of the ST in reversed order, considering that TPM is obviously meant to be the closing episode of the prequels (and the saga) with that little breathing epilogue.

Ezon Pin likes this.
  25. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    After watching TFA, I wish TPM showed Anakin constructing his signature lightsaber. ANH and TFA treat the lightsaber as something that's important to the Skywalker line.