main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Best Scene of Revenge of the Sith

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by kotorkayla, Apr 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    This again.

2. HevyDevy

HevyDevy Force Ghost star 5

Apr 13, 2011
    True. I don't see how anyone who likes Star Wars at all can state Revenge of the Sith is a bad movie. There are a lot of reasons to like it, and more than one or two moments it "transcends mediocrity". There's rich symbolism, and a lot of the charm of the OT, when compared to the other prequels. Oh well.

3. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    It's my least favorite of the Star Wars films; I don't like depressing movies with sad endings and/or movies where the bad guys win. Same reason ROTJ is my favorite film. But ROTS was a very well-done film and had a lot of great moments, nothing at all mediocre about it.

4. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    When Anakin stands in the top of the Jedi temple and ponders his decision to report Palpatine to Mace Windu. There was great atmosphere in the scene, and you can see how the consequences of his decision gnaw at Anakin.

5. Pendulous_Dewlap

Pendulous_Dewlap Jedi Youngling star 1

May 21, 2011
    Well, someone around here has to have high standards. No offense.

It's not horrible; in fact, I prefer it to "The Phantom Menace," "Attack of the Clones" and "Return of the Jedi." That said, it's not brilliant either.

6. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    And who are you to say that your standards are superior?

Differing opinions are cool. "My opinion is better than yours" or "anyone with a brain or standards agrees with my opinion", not so much.

7. Pendulous_Dewlap

May 21, 2011
    Very well. I apologize. I certainly didn't intend to offend anyone.

8. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    There is just no need to be arrogant.

9. Pendulous_Dewlap

May 21, 2011
    Okay, okay. I apologized. Let's move on.

10. Cryogenic

Cryogenic Force Ghost star 5

Jul 20, 2005
    Yes, but your apology sounds insincere -- and you'll only do it all again, won't you?

Also, why pick this thread to make your first post; and why end it with a back-handed compliment?

People have pulled this kind of stuff for too long now. Far too long. Hence the weariness.

But that aside, welcome to the board. Cool name and avatar, too.

11. Pendulous_Dewlap

May 21, 2011
    Duly noted, John.:)

Two more candidates for best scene in "Episode III": Obi-Wan confronts Anakin on the Mustafar landing platform; and Yoda vs. Sidious, which remains one of the most visually spectacular sequences of the PT.

12. TragicHeroLover132

TragicHeroLover132 Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 24, 2010
    Do deleted scenes count? Because there is a deleted scene where Anakin touched Padme's belly and they discussed the gender of the baby. I really liked that one in both of the ROTS novelizations.

13. son_of_skywalker03

son_of_skywalker03 Force Ghost star 4

Dec 7, 2003
    I'm not gonna say you're "wrong" for having that opinion about movies with "sad endings" and whatnot. But considering what has to happen for the Saga to be capable of moving to the OT, was there really any other way for RotS to play out?

14. mjerome3

mjerome3 Jedi Knight star 6

May 11, 2000
    There were so many great scenes in ROTS. If I had to pick one, it would be when Mace and three other Jedi Masters came to arrest Palpatine. It was the turning point of the movie and a make or break situation for either the Sith or the Jedi Order.

15. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I expected it to be a sad movie and I didn't really expect to like it. But there were a few scenes that were a bit over-the-top and not necessary to show that the Empire won and Anakin turned. This isn't the thread to discuss that though.

I also liked Mace Windu's "In the name of the Galactic Senate of the Republic, you are under arrest" and the Jedi igniting their sabers. That was an awesome moment.

16. HevyDevy

Apr 13, 2011
    Yes, that gets me revved up because it is the sequence that initiates the turn scene.
    This may be over-analysing, but did anyone notice Palpatine kills the Jedi in reverse order of saber igniting? Mace is first to ignite and last to die, and so on.

Fair enough, but for me the sad ending just enhances ROTJ, and all of the films for that matter. The prequels have so much weight when you know what's coming, and the OT retains its mystique, atmosphere, and context, while simultaneously being enhanced (IMO). Seeing Luke become a Jedi is just more moving when we see how the Jedi failed.

17. Pendulous_Dewlap

May 21, 2011
    The PT had no emotional resonance whatsoever. If anything, the films (beginning with "Return of the Jedi") ruined the mythic grandeur of "Star Wars" and "The Empire Strikes Back." The wondrous became de-mystified and everything began to feel so...commonplace. So utterly banal.

As for "Revenge of the Sith"...well, despite its attempts to tug at the viewer's heartstrings, the film felt to me like little more than an exercise in artificial manipulation. There were, admittedly, some truly spectacular sequences; but the film's third act, which strained desperately for greatness, had the emotional gravity of a feather. "Sith" was an efficient, yet completely disposable summer entertainment - an empty-calorie visual extravaganza that left you feeling weary and bloated.

18. HevyDevy

Apr 13, 2011
    I disagree. I don't think Return of the Jedi or Revenge of the Sith detracted from the OT. AOTC perhaps. Return of the Jedi is a quite satisfying conclusion to all the movies, whether you watch the prequels or not. It's the one movie in the OT that doesn't contradict the PT, which strengthens the saga in general. While Empire is my favourite, Revenge and Return are a close second. I don't see why ROTJ ruins the mythic quality of the films, it is the most conclusive and ties the movies together brilliantly.

Disposable? ROTS easily has the most replay value of the prequels. It's filled with links to the rest of the saga, and is satisfying, and fitting, as a final movie. It grows on you more than the other prequels, and I find it the most discussable of the films, even if it doesn't live up to the OT. There are moments where the dialogue lets it down slightly, but as a whole, coherent, addition to the saga I think it succeeds.

19. son_of_skywalker03

son_of_skywalker03 Force Ghost star 4

Dec 7, 2003
    Purely opinion. One which I, and many others, strongly disagree with.

20. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    I can't understand why Lucas abandoned the sound of the battle droid voices from TPM - which was in retrospect a good effect - and replaced it with a voice effect in ROTS which seems designed to be as lame and annoying to the audience as possible.

21. ShakTeeth

ShakTeeth Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 12, 2011

Agreed. I loved the old Battle Droid voice. The new effect seems like a parody of it's older counterpart.

22. Avii

Avii Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 29, 2010
    One needs sadness and tragedy in stories. They help the moments of peace and happiness shine all the more brighter.

23. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Sure, but stories with sadness and tragedy--even stories with a lot of sadness and tragedy--can still have a happy ending and/or end well for the heroes. Again, not that I was expecting ROTS to do that, and I wasn't expecting to like it.

I know there are a lot of people who think that the darker a story is, the better it is--just thinking of the Classic Trilogy forum thread about what people would change, seems that a lot of people thought the OT was too happy or the characters were too nice and heroic. I happen to disagree. People have different tastes.

24. Avii

Avii Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 29, 2010
    I never understood the theory that a darker story = a better story. Though out of curiosity, how would you have made ROTS end on a happy note? Keeping all the story elements there of course.

25. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    There was really no way to do that and keep the OT intact, which is why, as I said, I didn't expect to like it.

The elements I would have changed (*puts on flame-proof suit*): I would not have had Anakin kill the younglings or attack Padme. Having him kill all the adult Jedi in the Temple on Palpatine's command was more than enough to make the audience understand that he had turned. I thought the attacks on the younglings and Padme were gratuitous and over-the-top.

Since this is a "best scenes" thread, though, I'll mention that one element of "happy ending" that ROTS had: the delivery of the twins to their new homes, the significance of "a new hope." One of my favorite scenes is Bail Organa saying, "My wife and I will take the girl. We have always talked of adopting a little girl. She will be loved with us." And then of course his going to Alderaan and placing Leia in Breha's arms, and then in the very next scene, Obi-Wan placing Luke in Beru's arms. That's as close to a happy ending as ROTS was ever going to have, and I loved those scenes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.