PT Best Scene of Revenge of the Sith

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by kotorkayla, Apr 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: Bazinga'd, heels1785
  1. Obi-Chron Force Ghost

star 4
    For me, favorite equates to unexpected. In order:

1) The defeat and immolation of Anakin on Mustafar: yes, yes, the ROTJ novel clued us in as to what generally transpired in "the duel," but I simply didn't think Lucas had it in him to visualize THAT level of brutally breath taking carnage. Bravo, George!

2) Palpatine versus Mace's posse. Freakin' AWESOME (if not largely unrealistic).

3). Padme's rumination - "you don't know the POWER of my soft side!". Once again, I did not think George capable of injecting such tenderness and heartbreak into a SW scene.

4). The Space Opera - as so perfectly noted previously, mainly for the dialog . . . Engaging, revealing, and misleading, all at the same time.

And as is all too often the case, I agree with Massster SX3, in that SW and John Williams are inseparable, and the score definitely defines whatever we hold to be our favorite scenes.
  2. CuppaJoe Force Ghost

star 4
    I think one of the most underrated scenes is when Palpatine finally reveals who he is to Anakin. Something about Ian McDiarmid's performance is really mesmerizing to me. I love his little smile when he says "...and you will be able to save your wife from certain death". Love, love, love this scene.
  3. Luukeskywalker Chosen One

star 5
    Oh yes, incredible scene. Ian gives one of the great acting performances there.

Also, I am sure it has been mentioned. But I love the scene between Anakin and Obi-Wan in the Jedi Temple hallway after Anakin has his brief run-in with Mace at the council meeting. I love the conversation between the two guys here. Great acting, and there is just something about the scene that really gives the scene an amazing aura of forboding about it. I love when Obi-Wan says, "That is why you must help us", refering to Anakin spying on Palpatine for them.
  4. Valairy Scot Chosen One

star 6
    ONE! :eek:

In no specific order:

1. The opera scene seduction (Ian was great)
    2. Obi-Wan's visit to Padme post-Order 66 (the music and the connection between the actors just sells that - man does that scene make me choke up)
    3. That moment when Obi-Wan takes Luke in his arms and looks down at him - gah, I just melt and I'm not one of those women who instantly turn into goo and coo at babies.
    4. You Were the Chosen One speech
    5. Birth of Vader - it's just so iconic, although I'm not fanboyish about the transformation, but by the presentation
  5. Cushing's Admirer Chosen One

star 7
    You were the Chosen One speech.

Ewan's "You were my brother, Anakin. I *loved* you!" Was quite possibly the best line and moment of the film.

Also thought seeing a young Tarkin was a nice touch. I saw it as kinda a brief nod to Peter's memory and I appreciated it. :)

I must say that the Opera seduction scene with Ian was *stellar* too.
  6. HevyDevy Force Ghost

star 4
    I don't actually have a favourite scene as such, but some of my faves...

-Anakin and Obi-Wan vs Dooku. This was something I think a lot of us had been waiting to see since viewing ROTJ. Satisfying climax to the duel, and very nicely parallels the throne room confrontation in Ep6.

-As I have said before, Anakin and Padme's scene following Anakin's first nightmare. The music works well, and there is quite a sense of tragedy.

-If you include the deleted extended scene from the blu-ray's, the scene where Palpatine asks Anakin to represent him on the Jedi Council. You really get a feel of Anakin and Palpatine's bond, and some insight into the conflict between Palpatine/Anakin and the Jedi. "With all due respect, the Jedi aren't in the mood for anymore constitutional ammendments". The scene in general is good, and the music as it transitions from the end of the scene to the Jedi Temple is great.

-The "Opera" scene. Some of the best dialogue in the movie, and Ian is great as Palpatine. I still laugh when he asks "They asked you to do something that made you feel dishonest, didn't they?" Like a parent catching a child doing something wrong, lol. There is a lot to talk about with this scene, but I think I would just be repeating myself. One quick point; the music that starts up as Palpatine begins his story about Darth Plagueis is just perfect. Really sets the tone, and you totally feel Anakin being pulled in.

-The turn. Say what you will about the speed and believability of Anakin's turn, but it completely works for me. The build up, with Anakin shielding his eyes, the sound of thunder, Anakin's desperation, and the final line "I need him!"
    Just cool. I also like the repetition of the line Anakin used about Dooku - "It's not the Jedi way!" Anakin taking the "easy" way out is perfectly set up IMO, and you really get a sense that he has sold his soul.

-Anakin lighting his saber in front of the younglings. Says it all I guess...

-The "Wait for me" scene. Anakin is decidedly evil in this scene, but Padme, in her weakened spiritual/emotional state (IMO because of her symbiotic link to Anakin) cannot see it.

-Anakin and Padme on Mustafar. I love this scene, up until about the time Obi-Wan comes in :p. This is how Darth Vader should be represented. You can really feel the change, and we watch as it slowly dawns on Padme that something isn't right. Anakin as Vader cannot yet see he is evil. I think, though, that he pretty much acccepts that he is no longer Anakin when he later hears Padme has died. Great scene.

-Obi-Wan's speech and Anakin's immolation. Powerful stuff.

-Birth and Rebirth, and Luke and Leia being delivered to foster parents. The last two I watched were EP3 and Ep4, and this scene gives you a nice little tie between the movies.
  7. Luukeskywalker Chosen One

star 5
    I like the big epic action scenes just like everybody else, but I like to bring up small quieter scenes that often get overlooked too. One such scene is after the Mustafar duel, when Obi-Wan goes back to the ship, Padme is laying there in the ship obviously weakened from being strangled by Anakin, and says "Is Anakin alright?" Obi-Wan doesn't say a word and has a look of complete sadness on his face as he touches her shoulder. The music here is soooo powerful, and the moment is completely heartbreaking.
  8. HevyDevy Force Ghost

star 4
    True. Also, I think Obi-Wan is just realising Padme still loves Anakin and is for the first time seeing it from her point of view. It makes sense, seeing as the first event Obi-Wan witnesses post-turn is Anakin strangling Padme. He hadn't considered that Padme could still forgive Anakin, and is really feeling the weight of what happened to the doomed lovers. Like you said, it is a sad moment.
  9. Luukeskywalker Chosen One

star 5
    Yep. Also its really the first moment since all hell started breaking lose from the moment Mace and the jedi walked into Palpatine's office to arrest him, where things slow down from the mayhem and you get to take a breath and realise that this is a heartbreaking and sad tragedy at its heart.
  10. JediofJade Force Ghost

star 5
    I second the sentiments thus far that pretty much every scene in this movie is the "best". I was blown away by the opening space battle, absolutely entranced by the opera house scene, and a complete emotional mess at the end with Luke and Leia going to their homes (made that much more touching when we hear Leia's theme playing over the credits - one of the most delicately powerful pieces of music in the SW collection, IMO).

But when I think of ROTS, the same scene is always the first to come to my mind: Padme's Ruminations. I distinctly recall sitting in the theater, overcome by the visual spectacle of the film up to that point - and then feeling a sense of total stillness, watching Padme stare out that window, while that haunting music plays...that was when the movie connected with me on a deeper level. I was captivated. When I bought the OST, Padme's Ruminations was the first track I played. @};-

And now I'm off to rewatch the movie... ;)
  11. MrFantastic74 Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    "Best Scene of Revenge of the Sith"?

I had to really think about this one.

-The opening shots of the space battle over Coruscant were very impressive; some of the best I've seen in a space/ war movie. But then the banter between Obi-Wan and Anakin seemed unrealistic, and the buzz droids were somewhat lame (for lack of a better word).

-I didn't really like any of the scenes aboard the Separatist flagship. The crash landing was somewhat intriguing, however.

-I liked Utapau as an environment- very cool concept. Unfortunately, I didn't like Grievous, and I was mostly uninterested in his battle scenes with Obi-Wan.

-I liked the opera scene in which Palpatine tells the tale of Darth Plagueis the Wise. Interesting setting and well acted by the great Ian McDiarmid.

-I did not enjoy the scenes in Palpatine's office, including: the confrontation of Sidious by the Jedi Masters, Mace's battle with Sidious, Anakin's betrayal of Mace, and especially Anakin's final turn to the darkside and acceptance of his new identity (Darth Vader). I won't go into my reasons here, as this is not what the thread is about.

-The battle of Kashyyyk was pretty stellar. I enjoyed this portion of the film immensely. The vehicles on both sides of the battle were very unique and the landscape of Kashyyyk was absolutely beautiful. Seeing an army of wookiees in action made my heart pound out of my chest. It was a terrific set of scenes.. except for the fact that they threw Chewbacca in there... and especially that they made Chewbacca "friends" with Yoda. IMHO, if they absolutley had to use Chewie as a nod to the OT, they should have made him a random warrior in the battlefield who we only see very briefly.

-The Order 66 sequences were well done. I did feel some emotion for the betrayed Jedi as they were systematically assassinated. The environments were wonderfully diverse and the score was ominous.

-The attack on the Jedi Temple was so-so. I did like the "Imperial March" into the temple, but the scenes that followed were lack lustre, and unnecessarily dark (the murder of children).

-The duel between Vader and Obi-Wan was good overall, but despite the length of the battle, it somehow lacked the emotion of the battles between Luke and Vader in the OT. The Mustafar landscape was both ominous and dangerous, adding to the desperation of the fight.

-I did not enjoy the duel between Yoda and the Emperor. It was just... I don't know... meh.

-I was not a fan of the scenes involving the births of Luke, Leia, and the armoured Darth Vader (a la Frankenstein). I won't go into the reasons here, but those scenes left me cold.

-A big thumbs up for the visuals and emotional score during the final scene in which Obi-Wan delivers Luke to the Lars family on Tatooine. The nod to ANH was beautifully done as the family gazed into the binary sunset.

So, that being said, I think I would have to say my favourite scenes were:
    1. the Battle of Kashyyyk
    and
    2. the binary sunset

Honorable mentions:
    A. The fist shots of the space battle over Coruscant
    B. Order 66
    C. The Tragedy of Darth Plagueis the Wise
  12. HevyDevy Force Ghost

star 4
    I personally like some of the dialogue in this scene. It's cool that Anakin still refers to Obi-Wan as Master at this point.
    As for the buzz droids, I remember a friend making a reasonable point; why didn't they just explode? I like when R4 gets decapitated though, Obi-Wan's somewhat distant "oh dear" reminds us he doesn't share the same bond the Skywalkers do with their droids.

-I didn't really like any of the scenes aboard the Separatist flagship. The crash landing was somewhat intriguing, however.

Not even the duel with Dooku? I thought it was great nod to ROTJ, and a very significant (to the saga) scene. But to each his own.

-I liked Utapau as an environment- very cool concept. Unfortunately, I didn't like Grievous, and I was mostly uninterested in his battle scenes with Obi-Wan.

Agreed. The Grievous fight has a few decent moments, but generally it seems like filler, and IMO wastes time that could have been spent establishing Anakin's fall.

-I liked the opera scene in which Palpatine tells the tale of Darth Plagueis the Wise. Interesting setting and well acted by the great Ian McDiarmid.

That scene rules.

-I did not enjoy the scenes in Palpatine's office, including: the confrontation of Sidious by the Jedi Masters, Mace's battle with Sidious, Anakin's betrayal of Mace, and especially Anakin's final turn to the darkside and acceptance of his new identity (Darth Vader). I won't go into my reasons here, as this is not what the thread is about.

I'm not trying to start a debate here, but I loved those scenes. I understand some of the problems with the turn, but for me it satisfies.

-The battle of Kashyyyk was pretty stellar. I enjoyed this portion of the film immensely. The vehicles on both sides of the battle were very unique and the landscape of Kashyyyk was absolutely beautiful. Seeing an army of wookiees in action made my heart pound out of my chest. It was a terrific set of scenes..

Agreed.

except for the fact that they threw Chewbacca in there... and especially that they made Chewbacca "friends" with Yoda. IMHO, if they absolutley had to use Chewie as a nod to the OT, they should have made him a random warrior in the battlefield who we only see very briefly.

Agreed also. One of the few post-turn scenes that take me out of the movie is Chewbacca and Yoda's farewell.

-The Order 66 sequences were well done. I did feel some emotion for the betrayed Jedi as they were systematically assassinated. The environments were wonderfully diverse and the score was ominous.

Yeah. That was one of the great moments for me in the cinema in '05.

-The attack on the Jedi Temple was so-so. I did like the "Imperial March" into the temple, but the scenes that followed were lack lustre, and unnecessarily dark (the murder of children).

I don't know if I'd agree it was too dark, I mean he has sold his soul and it is Darth Vader. That first shot of him walking in and standing in front of the door is powerful stuff. His lightsaber glistening and very little hint of resemblance to Anakin's good self. Spooky.

-The duel between Vader and Obi-Wan was good overall, but despite the length of the battle, it somehow lacked the emotion of the battles between Luke and Vader in the OT. The Mustafar landscape was both ominous and dangerous, adding to the desperation of the fight.

I prefer the Empire Strikes Back duel over Mustafar, mostly because of it's atmosphere, mood, dramatic moments and setting. And Luke Skywalker and ESB Vader are IMO better characters than Anakin and Obi-Wan. But still, Anakin vs Obi-Wan is pure lightsaber awsomeness, and you really feel the weight of the conflict. Or at least I did...

-I did not enjoy the duel between Yoda and the Emperor
  13. Cryogenic Chosen One

star 5
    Heh. The buzz droid shenanigans are bags of fun. My reading of the buzz droids as a tool of war is that they're designed to disable craft, not destroy them. That way, the opposing side can salvage the parts they want, and/or reverse engineer whatever they capture for their own purposes, rather than have the whole thing explode into a million (charred) pieces. I sense, from Anakin's dry reaction -- "Buzz droids!" (I suppose you have to be watching to pick up Hayden's inflection) -- that the buzz droids are a nuissance, not a deadly threat; and one that Anakin and Obi-Wan have encountered before. Still, a nuissance can always turn into a deadly threat, so the buzz droids are comedic, but also tricky: a small problem that needs to be dealt with before turning into a bigger one.

Good thoughts re: Obi-Wan, too. He doesn't seem to care quite as much for his droid, no. That moment of R4 getting his head ripped off -- this is no ordinary decapitation! -- combined with Ewan's chilled-out dismay is one of the most entertaining moments in SW, for me. It's even funnier still that R4 seems to get an odd sort of kick out of being, well, killed? Some droids appear to die, er, shall we say, rather happily? Consider that battle droid in the hangar bay that goes down last and makes a very contented sort of death wail. "Ahhh-errr-errrrrrrr..." Different droid states are apparently activated under different (or near-identical) circumstances. A useful reference point here is Threepio. In TESB, he is blasted into pieces, immediately shutting down, but in AOTC, his head is taken off, yet he persists in some contiguous state of consciousness, even as his head is welded onto the body of a battle droid (that said, he later regards the whole episode as a "dream"). Do not underestimate the eccentric goofiness of these movies.

Hey! ROTS is all killer, no filler! Well, alright: the Grievous stuff is pretty distracting (from a certain POV). But that's also why I like it. Between this sly, subtle, seductive fugue, where a leading light of the Jedi Order is being corrupted by the actual leader of the galactic government, which is at war with a new superpower, you have this fantastical chase sequence that effaces the moody Anakin-Palpatine passages, even though it's really the Anakin-Palpatine stuff driving the movie. There is a wry contradiction here, which I think lends added weight and scope to the themes of the movie; to its very (bold, cinematic) language.

I like how it's built up to, especially in the opening reel, with all those red and green flashes of light during the Battle of Coruscant. Indeed, Yoda duelling Sidious is *the* Battle of Coruscant. It's also interesting to note that the security room (or whatever) that Obi-Wan and Yoda are in, where Obi-Wan watches the hologram recording of Anakin's dark deeds, has a mixture of purple and grey decals: the very colours seen in t
  14. HevyDevy Force Ghost

star 4
    True, and I hadn't thought about the fact that they could salvage the ships, or capture the Jedi. As you have said, you often kind of get the sense, in these opening scenes, that Anakin and Obi-Wan don't take the Seperatists as too deadly a threat. The banter in these scenes partially give the impression that it's all in a day's work for the two Jedi. Obi-Wan's attitude, quite intentionally I think, is quite blase towards even the threat of the Sith. For example "Chancellor Palpatine, Sith Lords are our speciality". It can be quite easily mirrored in the Emperor's overconfidence at the end of the saga.

Interesting thoughts Cryo. I agree about R4, the sound he makes is quite 'light' for a death scene.

Nicely put. Something this made me think of; Grievous's death, and Obi-Wan's "So uncivilised" does indeed seem to contrast the scene that follows, where Anakin and Mace exchange about this event, and Palpatine's identity. It's hard to explain what I mean, but the part about Grievous's defeat seems to imply that plot-strand is moving along almost oblivious to the major shift in the force that is, and is about to, occur. Partially because of Mace's first line, about the fact that they are about to visit the Chancellor to make sure he gives up his power. I don't know if you follow me (it partially goes back to what you have said about the contradiction in moods) but the characters, as they often don't in Star Wars, don't realise the weight of what they are saying. The future is in motion, and the Jedi are being left behi
  15. EHT New Films Manager

Manager
    star 6
    "Best Scene of Revenge of the Sith"? Impossible to choose, it is. I could go on and on about many of the scenes in this movie. I agree with many of the great points made by others above, and I post this just to point out how really well done I think almost all of ROTS was.
  16. JediofJade Force Ghost

star 5
    To go along with the ideas about Coruscant's traffic - that civilization is moving on, unknowing of the major events being played out: I noticed that on Mustafar, as Obi-wan and Anakin are dueling on the same lava platform (near the end of the battle, just before Obi-wan leaps to safety), a droid floats by, sparing the two fighters one fleeting look of curiosity before going on about its business. It's hard to pin down just what about that bit I find so fascinating, but it does seem to lend weight to the already heavy events - the galaxy has no idea what's about to happen. Life (or in this case, the everyday work of life symbolized by droid labor) goes on, oblivious to how terribly and dramatically things have changed and are about to change.

Also on Mustafar, there's a very specific color palette: a speck of blue in a sea of red. We first see it in Anakin's fighter's landing lights, or whatever you call them. The lights are tiny, but very bright blue. Then again on Padme's ship. Then, of course, the lightsabers, and again with Palpatine's ship. I get the sense that the fire-red - Anakin's anger and fear and pain - have nearly swallowed up the good left in him (the lone pinpoints of blue). If you think of it that way, then the scene where Anakin and Obi-wan are battling up along the spire that's about to fall over a cliff (right before Obi-wan and Anakin make a mad jump onto the teeny tiny platforms in the lava), when the screen is absolutely filled with orange and red and tints of black - and then there's the smallest speck of blue given off by the two lightsabers - it really drives home just how consumed up by the Dark Side Anakin has become.
  17. ShakTeeth Jedi Knight

star 1
    Agreed about your droid analysis. Another moment is when Obi-Wana and Anakin are on seperate platforms, and they zoom past another platform where a worker is digging up lava. He glances at the two warriors as they go by, and it suddenly hits home how large the galaxy is, and how the universe goes on as the duel that will determine the future plays out.
  18. BoromirsFan Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    Is it true that the final scene in Revenge of the Sith was shot around the time of AOTC?

Does Obi-Wan look different from the rest of his self in III? It blows my mind if this is true. While its one small scene, its pretty iconic to me, and that Lucas planned it out quite early.

Definitely gives me chills up my spine, that final scene
  19. oierem Force Ghost

star 3
    It's true that Lucas shot a wide shot of the final scene back in 2000, in Tunisia, but it was very different (a stand-in was used instead of Ewan, and Luke was given to Owen, not Beru). The scene was later re-shot in 2004.
  20. BoromirsFan Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    Im assuming they didn't go to Tunisia to shoot again for one scene?
  21. Alexrd Force Ghost

star 5
    No, they didn't.

But regarding the scene shot in Tunisia, wasn't McGregor in there?
  22. oierem Force Ghost

star 3
    They re-shot the sceen on a studio in 2004.
    And no, McGregor didn't go to Tunisia to shoot Clones, so he wasn't there to shoot the scene. I guess they basically used that shot as a reference.

23. Darth Rimmer Jedi Master

star 1
    Padme and Anakin's Rumination

http://youtu.be/4zq4hggJjVU

The Music. The Sunset light. The MASSIVE sense of inevitability, tragedy and sorrow.
    The lying bastard Palpatine:
    "If the Jedi destroy me, any chance of saving her will be lost."

SECOND BEST SCENE OF THE ENTIRE SAGA (the first being, of course, the binary sunset in ANH).
  24. Darth Rimmer Jedi Master

star 1
    The funniest scene - Yoda dispatching The Emperor's guards, of course :) :

http://youtu.be/MFEjcvIRMDo
  25. skywalkerz Jedi Knight

star 1
    My ironic favorite was when Darth Vader screamed "I HATE YOU!!!" like a little baby. Then when he's burnt to near death. He deserved it.
Moderators: Bazinga'd, heels1785
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.