Saga Best Sidious/Palpatine performance

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by jawajunk, Sep 27, 2012.

?

Best Sidious/Palpatine performance

Episode I 3 vote(s) 11.1%
Episode II 3 vote(s) 11.1%
Episode III 15 vote(s) 55.6%
Episode V 0 vote(s) 0.0%
Episode VI 6 vote(s) 22.2%
Moderators: Darth_Nub, Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn
  1. facebook Jedi Master

As cool as he was in Revenge, Palpatine was the best in Return of the Jedi. He just oozed evil and Ian played it up without going too over the top like he does in ROTS.
    Yunners likes this.
  2. ezekiel22x Chosen One

star 4
    PT Palpatine in general for showing a deeper side to the character than the cackling wicked witch guy of ROTJ. ROTS if I have to pick one, as the night at the opera is one of the best scenes of the whole series.
  3. MrFantastic74 Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    If we want to talk about specific scenes, I will always be partial to his scenes with Luke and Vader in ROTJ. He was the epitome of evil, exercising his military mind while manipulating both Luke and Vader like marionettes on strings. And that evil laugh stuck in my mind since 1983. Not to mention all the quotable lines:
    "Oh, I'm afraid the deflector shield will be quite operational when your friends arrive" (that one's in all in the expert delivery by Mr. McDiarmid)
    "Your faith in your friends is yours!"
    "You want...THIS (lightsaber)... don't you?"
    "So be it, Jedi"
    etc.

As far as "Palpatine" (non-Emperor) scenes are concerned, I must give props to the opera ("Darth Plagueis the Wise") scene in ROTS. That was my favortite Palp/Sidious scene in the PT. McDiarmid's a great story teller.
    Last edited by MrFantastic74, Oct 17, 2012
    sinkie likes this.
  4. DarthBoba Manager Emeritus

star 9
    I'd give props to his admission of being Sidious in ROTS. His charisma practically flows off the screen there; he sounds like he genuinely wants to help Anakin...but we all know he doesn't. But we want him to be right :p
Moderators: Darth_Nub, Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn