main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Best Single Performance of the PT

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by The_Four_Dot_Elipsis, Sep 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bebbie

bebbie Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 28, 2002
    Ewan McGregor (ROTS)

2. Malikail

Malikail Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 17, 2004
    does it mean best performance in the trilogy or best performance in any single film in the trilogy?

you get different answers from me and several others depending on what is meant by the question.

EDIT:

since the original poster limited it to one film we should all answer it that way, but it is an unfair question in that light, some performances like Ian's are not as great in a single film but over the trilogy steal the show.

3. Darth_Laudrup

Darth_Laudrup Jedi Master star 4

Jul 7, 2004
  4. Roger Goldleader

Roger Goldleader Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jun 1, 2000
    The best single performance? Terrence Stamp, no doubt.

5. DarthGreene

DarthGreene Jedi Youngling star 1

May 15, 2005
    Ian McDiarmid in ROTS. I was hoping he would win some type of award for his performance.

6. JediPrettyBoy

JediPrettyBoy Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 10, 2005
    Ewan McGregor

7. severian28

severian28 Jedi Master star 5

Apr 1, 2004
    Christopher Lee.

8. DarknessofDeath

DarknessofDeath Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 23, 2006

Out of the PT, the best single performance I have to say is Ewan Mcgregor. He was the Obi-Wan I imagined who closely resembles Old Ben from the OT. I loved his performance in SW3 the most.

9. Captain_Fett

Captain_Fett Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 7, 2002
    Ian McDiarmid in ROTS; he showed us how truly evil and manipulative the Dark Side could be.

10. Lord_Pilaf

Lord_Pilaf Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 9, 2006
    'nuff said

11. DarknessofDeath

DarknessofDeath Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 23, 2006
    Both McGregor and McDiarmid were spot on but I loved Hayden's performance.

12. Ben R

Ben R Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 26, 2000

Disclaimer: I like Hayden Christensen. I thought he "looked" pretty good as Anakin. I also thought that he was very good at the fighting, swordplay, and stunts. There were even moments in there when his acting was decent.

Having said that, I still cannot understand how ANYONE could say that he gave the best acting performance of the prequels. Even if you really, really like the guy, can you honestly look yourself in the mirror and say, "Hayden's acting in the prequels was very, very good." ??? Could you say, "It was the best of all. Better than ANYONE else in all 3 movies." ???

Can you honestly say that in a sincere, inward manner?

Hayden was OK acting at various points (Shmi's death, the Jedi purge, the confrontation with Padme in episode 3, etc.) But, there were some acting moments from him in each film which were horrendous by any standard. These moments would have to eliminate him from contention as the best actor.

Was he the WORST actor in the movies? No.

Was he the BEST? Absolutely not. It's not even a matter of personal preference here. No way he was better than guys like McDiarmid, Neeson, and/or McGregor. Not by anyone's biased standards.

13. Ben R

Ben R Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 26, 2000

...by the way, my vote goes to Mr. Ralph Brown. :p =D=

[image=http://www.starwars.com/databank/character/ricolie/img/eu_bg.jpg]

"I was an actor in this movie. My starfighter is yellow."

14. __Vader__

__Vader__ Jedi Master star 3

May 23, 2005
    No one comes close to Ian. Played his character with more depth than anyone in the PT. However, I do give special reccomendations to Frank Oz's awesome voice acting and puppetry.

15. Thomas_Skywalker

Thomas_Skywalker Jedi Master star 2

Nov 29, 2000
    Hayden Christensen in ROTS especially his conversation with Obi Wan just before the Mustafar Duel.

His performance wasn't always perfect but I can't image anyone doing what is clearly an incredibly complex character any better.

16. Cryogenic

Cryogenic Force Ghost star 5

Jul 20, 2005
    Christopher Lee.

He doesn't miss a beat.

I used to think this honour belonged to Ian McDiarmid without question. But I've begun sympathising with those who see his latter performance in RotS as high camp. I can't pin this criticism on Lee at all. Now, while he was playing a different character, his performance also has the benefit of being more dignified and controlled. Plus... Christopher Lee likes Elvis. So he's alright with me. :cool:

17. Jumpman

Jumpman Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 12, 2003
    I'm going to blow everyone's mind here but I have to say it: Natalie as Queen Amidala in Episode I.

Here me out. The knock against Natalie in Episode I was that she was "wooden", especially when she was the Queen. I say, look at the circumstances of the character, her age, and the environment she's surrounded when playing the Queen and then you might get an idea of how good that performance actually is.

18. SrWilson

SrWilson Jedi Master star 1

Feb 2, 2005
    Ian (Palpidious) Mc Diarmid in all 3 films in any scene.

Christopher lee closely follows.

19. Mandalore_X

Mandalore_X Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 22, 2005
    Yeah, Liam is just a great actor.

20. Master_Starwalker

Master_Starwalker Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2003
    [face_laugh]

But yeah, I have to agree that the best actors were Liam, Ewan, and Ian.

21. Cryogenic

Cryogenic Force Ghost star 5

Jul 20, 2005
    It's a good performance, but I don't think it's that good.

22. Jumpman

Jumpman Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 12, 2003
    Cryo,

I had to stick up for the one performer he gets a bad rap in these films. Personally, I felt everyone did great throughout the three films....Ian's obviously the best. But, that performance as the Queen in Episode I always stuck with me. I really can't explain it.

I just feel there was more to Portman's acting than what was written about at the time or even now.

23. Veloz

Veloz Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 30, 2004
    This is a very tough question, because there's some great performances in the PT. In my mind the best performances come from Ian and Ewan.

So, how do i decide? :oops: [face_laugh]

Ok, considering that both actors had to tie up with performances from the OT, my vote goes to Ewan in ROTS, because he had match his performance with Sir Alec, and he did a fantastic job with it imo. Ian did an amazing job matching up to himself, but i'm gonna give the slight edge to Ewan in this case because he had to study someone else's performance.

[face_peace]

24. Gen-Kenobi

Gen-Kenobi Jedi Youngling

May 17, 2006
    Hands down Ewan M. in ROTS! I hope they tap him for the new TV series to play Kenobi on Tattooine, that would be awesome!

25. Jedi_Master_Conor

Jedi_Master_Conor Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 24, 2005
    Ian in ROTS with Ewan in ROTS in second place

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.