main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Best Spinoff Ideas

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Deputy Rick Grimes, Feb 8, 2013.

1. Darth_Corvus

Darth_Corvus Jedi Master star 4

Jun 17, 2010
    How so?

2. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    I think he meant "new" characters, entirely. Which isn't really grasping at straws as an option for Disney, considering they will want to leave their imprint on the franchise, aside from doing what we already expect them to do.

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  3. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    I would rather watch footage of my grandmother being mugged than watch a film about Kyle Katarn... let alone the FOUR which were proposed...

4. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    ^^ THIS is basically the reason why I think it would be best if they just make original characters, save themselves and us a lot of pain.

No matter who they pick out of existing characters - people will be hysterically pleased while other people will be hysterically annoyed and yet a third group will be hysterically indifferent.
    Just make a movie about original characters, and a lot of prejudice (good or bad) that people would have about that movie will be gone in one swift stroke.

5. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    I would prefer that most of the spin offs focus on entirely new characters instead of using characters from either the main saga or the EU. I might be in the minority on this but that doesn't really bother me and I won't be too upset if the spin offs aren't what I hope for them to be. But I don't think it's as far fetched that these movies will focus on new characters as some do.

The Hellhammer likes this.
  6. Darth_Corvus

Jun 17, 2010
    I can totally see a spinoff about the ones that I didn't respond to.

7. The Hellhammer

Nov 4, 2012
    And one other thing is - let's for example say they take an existing character from EU. There's a huge chance that the way he's represented on the screen wil not (surprise!) be how each and every one of us imagined him when he read the book.
    So we're pissed off again.
    Existing characters are too dangerous to mess around with, cause it's a bitch-and-whine magnet, no matter how good a movie it actually is.

One more point for totally original characters.

8. Darth_Corvus

Jun 17, 2010
    Again, why? What did Kyle Katarn do to earn such hatred? And the others?(Disregard the pulp fiction joke) I'm sure you would have an idea that you want to see

9. Darth_Corvus

Jun 17, 2010
    Ah well yeees. A spinoff about a character that is introduced to the star wars canon in Episode VII would definitely make sense. It's certainly possible that one of the spinoffs will be like this, but the others will definitely be about characters that have a presence at least in the EU. A KotOR movie can potentially make a loooooot of money, and well all the dialogues are written.

10. A Chorus of Disapproval

Aug 19, 2003
    I have stated as my general view that I tend to not "speculate" in the sense of "mentally scripting what I'd want to see". I just never do it. I trust the filmmakers that their ideas have already brought me into fandom or I wouldn't care at all and I simply wait to see what they choose to do and then openly discuss their ideas. It may not sound like fun to some people, but I also have never been disappointed by a film I was looking forward to, aside from execution/filmmaking problems... and I have no idea what the sensation of nerdrage is, since I don't set myself up for monumental disappointment by concocting my own mental scripts. I like all 6 films... including JarJar and Ewoks.

Kyle, on the other hand, is something different. I don't approach books the way I do films, because they are radically differing mediums in regard to what the audience has to apply. And, that being said... I despise Mary Sues. If an author is actually talented, the reader should never know who the author's favorite character is. I was never given an opportunity to like Kyle and Kyp... I was simply told that I should think they are amazing.

Sean Sinclair likes this.
  11. The Hellhammer

Nov 4, 2012
    I've never read anything about Kyle Katarn, I just know him from the games and I honestly liked him quite a bit in all of those.

Could you maybe be referring to Corran Horn?

Darth_Corvus likes this.
  12. Darth_Corvus

Jun 17, 2010
    Canon look for Revan and Meetra Surik. Kyle Katarn also has a very established face. Bane had many illustrations and so did Thrawn. For the most beloved of EU characters, we do not need our imagination.

13. A Chorus of Disapproval

Aug 19, 2003
    ... and Mara... and Thrawn...

14. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007

That sums it up for me as well. :cool:

15. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    No where in my post did I say that I want to see spin offs about characters introduced in the ST. I specifically stated that I would prefer completely original characters that are not part of the main saga or the EU.

16. The Hellhammer

Nov 4, 2012
    No wait, I'm really confused now - Kyle Katarn was prominently featured in books?

17. Darth_Corvus

Jun 17, 2010
    sadly, no. Mostly in the dark forces novels that adapted the first two video games.

18. A Chorus of Disapproval

Aug 19, 2003
  19. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Dark Forces & Jedi Knight were made into illustrated novels, but aside from that Kyle hasn't played a major role in much- though he did play a minor role in the Legacy of the Force series.

20. Darth_Corvus

Jun 17, 2010
    So you want a spinoff about a character that has never-ever been seen in the star wars canon before said spinoff? You do realize that these spinoffs will be specifically centered around characters like X-Men Origins: Wolverine.

21. A Chorus of Disapproval

Aug 19, 2003
    When did they announce that that was their finalized plan?

22. Darth_Corvus

Jun 17, 2010
    Yeah, yeah yeah he showed his face but the last time he did something cool was in Jedi Outcast

23. The Hellhammer

Nov 4, 2012
    Meh.
    Dunno, Kyle Katarn was cool in those games and that's how I see him - no idea about any of that NJO stuff. His main portrayal is the games, which are quite good, and that other stuff won't ruin him to me.
    In all honesty, authors did all kinds of crazy stuff with the Big Three yet no one says Luke's a douche because of some NJO whatever.

Corran Horn on the other hand...eh.

24. A Chorus of Disapproval

Aug 19, 2003
    Han and Leia's General Hospital marriage and Luke marrying Mara absolutely incensed large numbers of fans.

25. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    Sorry but at this point we have no idea what these spin offs are going to be about. No information about them has been officially released other then they are being made. It's all just speculation right now.

darklordoftech likes this.