main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Best Spinoff Ideas

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Deputy Rick Grimes, Feb 8, 2013.

1. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    What's ur issue with Jade?

2. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Let me see if I can sum this up without a wall of text:

1. Luke looks like either an idiot, a ****ing wuss, or both by marrying a woman who once wanted to kill him. All the excuses about her being "brainwashed" or "common sci-fi trope" aren't working for me. There is getting off on the wrong foot, which can be rectified, and there is marrying someone who once wanted to kill you.

2. I am sick and ****ing tired of hearing about how strong and brave she is for having suffered under the Emperor and the Vong disease, and what a fantastic mentor she is to Jaina, and let's not forget that her 16-year-old nephew would do her in a heartbeat. Yeah, yeah, authors, STFU. If I'm supposed to be convinced that she's so damn awesome, show me, the way the films showed me that Leia is awesome. Don't tell me about it.

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  3. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    That's weird, all this time I thought you liked Mara. :p

4. Slash78

Slash78 Jedi Master star 3

Jul 30, 2004

So much of the "she's so strong" thing is from the NJO. They wanted to marginalize her by giving her a terminal illness, then they had her doing a lot of stuff. So was she sick or not? Where they going to kill her off or not? I think when they decided to kill of Jacen, then Anakin instead I think they kept her around to have Ben to basically replace Anakin (because let's face it, if Jacen had been killed off no one would have missed him).

As for being "brainwashed," she wasn't. She was just painfully naive. I don't know if Zahn will be writing any more OT era Mara Jade novels, but if he does I think she should get progressively more cynical and disillusioned with the Empire, but too arrogant and too caught up in the trappings of prestige and power brought on by her position. Plus I would like to see a novel where her and Zsinj cross paths.

Hell, she was still naive about the Empire in DFR. She led Thrawn right to Karrde and lamented about the Empire she knew under Palpatine being over when in fact at very said Empire was always as corrupt, backstabbing and double crossing as anything Thrawn could have done.

5. Deputy Rick Grimes

Sep 3, 2012
    Well that sums it up.

6. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Couldn't stand Thrawn either, and none of the things you listed undo the issues I have with Jade's character.

7. Slash78

Jul 30, 2004

I know. Just like I know every time she's even mentioned you'll be there to say how much you don't like the character.

8. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    The thread isn't about me. I answered Darth Vader's question.

Move along.

9. Slash78

Jul 30, 2004
    Doesn't make it any less true.

10. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    So the thread is about me?

Damn, I thought you all could come up with more interesting "best spin-off" ideas.

11. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    Depends.
    Are you in talks for a spin off with evil mutants from Byss?

12. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
  13. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    Will the mutants be single, married, divorced or widovers?

14. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
  15. EHT

Sep 13, 2007

Exactly. Darth Vader was simply asking a question, and anakinfansince1983 answered it. She's allowed to dislike the character and to answer a question about why. This doesn't have to devolve into another Mara Jade battle.

16. Deputy Rick Grimes

Sep 3, 2012
    Yes you did, and it was a good answer and will respect ur opinion

eht13 and Darth Chiznuk like this.
  17. HanJones

HanJones Jedi Master star 2

Nov 26, 2002
    I'm thinking some of these spin-offs will feature ensemble casts -- an Old Republic movie and a Rogue Squadron movie are two that immediately come to mind. With the Rogue Squadron movie, you just need to recast Wedge and you can deal with lots of post-ROTJ stuff from a viewpoint other than the Big Three.

18. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    I agree, and a bounty hunter movie could be a good ensemble spin-off too.

19. Bad_Feeling

Bad_Feeling Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2002
    Yeah a bounty hunter spin off could be awesome. Although I think a Boba Fett spin off directed by Joe Johnston would be better again!

20. Slash78

Jul 30, 2004

You are willfully ignoring the fact that every thread where Mara Jade is mentioned is made into a "I hate Mara Jade for the following reasons..." thread by certain posters.

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  21. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
  22. EHT

Sep 13, 2007

The other conversations you refer to have already been resolved and the arguments therein are done. In this thread, Darth Vader said he'd like to see a Mara spin-off, to which anakinfansince1983 said:

That is a reasonable post in which she simply states that she'd prefer to see Mara and Ahsoka in spin-off movies than in Episode 7; it's fine for her reason to be because she doesn't want to see them in Episode 7. Then Darth Vader asked what her issue with Mara is, and then she answered. And Darth Vader was fine with her reply, and they were done. You were the one that tried to make this conversation in this thread into something more heated than that.

23. The Kulvax Sisters

The Kulvax Sisters Jedi Master star 2

Jan 10, 2013
    I am at this point not entirely sure that Disney wont go the Marvel route, like they did with Avengers, a bunch of standalone movies each focusing on a certain character, with the main trilogy movies being the group films, with no spinoff movies whatsoever for a good couple of years, not really what I would want to see, but it's easily imaginable with the major success of the Avengers movies.

Not sure if this post is exactly suitable for the topic, but there it is.

24. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    There's been a Marvel movie every year starting with 2010.

25. Slash78

Jul 30, 2004
    They've already said two spinoffs in between Ep VII-VIII and VIII-IX. Best time for a trailer or at least the first teaser for Spin-Off #1 would be right before Episode VII (because that's totally your target audience).