main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Best Spinoff Ideas

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Deputy Rick Grimes, Feb 8, 2013.

1. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    So that's the excuse the filmmakers are going to give us? Yoda is insecure about his age. o_O

2. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Darth Chiznuk said it. I was disagreeing with him. As for your post, I'm glad to have a supporter, although I believe it's the "extinction" date that's inaccurate (as I explain above), not Yoda's age.

3. gmoney8869

gmoney8869 Jedi Youngling

Jun 21, 2013

I understand that. I decided to put that in for a couple of reasons. First, I thought it was weird that Obi never got any action in the prequels. I didn't like how sexless they were in general. And now that the Order is gone and he's been living alone as a desert hermit, I thought it would make sense to have him be prone to romantic attachment when placed in a perilous situation with a beautiful woman. It also provides character drama, and I wasn't sure how else to provide that, and it creates another thing for Vader to destroy, something more tragic than just another Jedi. It might have come off as too hammy in my little synopsis there, but I imagine it as being more subtle and natural.

I'm glad you took the time to read it and that you liked it. I really think something along those lines, at least with the basic of elements of Obi-Wan trying to save Jedi, meeting Vader, helping the creation of the Rebel Alliance, and witnessing the evil of the Empire, would make for the best spin-off.

If they make that and a Han Solo movie where he meets Chewie and wins the Falcon from Lando, it would really fill in the backstory of the OT, and I could pretend the other prequels never happened

Trebor Sabreon likes this.
  4. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    In between ROTS and ANH?

5. gmoney8869

Jun 21, 2013

yes. meeting him in his new form I mean

6. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    hmm... not so sure if that makes sense continuity-wise...

7. gmoney8869

Jun 21, 2013

Well, Obi-Wan says in Star Wars that Vader is more machine than man, so I would assume that he has encountered him in his cyborg suit.

And there's no reason that it cant happen, all that Vader says on the Death Star is that he hasn't felt his presence in a long time. My spin-off idea takes place only a few years after Luke's birth, so still like 15 years before the original Star Wars.

8. Trebor Sabreon

Trebor Sabreon Former Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 15, 2010
    I know that for many, the idea that Obi-Wan and Vader never met between Mustafar and the Death Star is considered sacrosanct, a notion not to be messed with (and for a long time, I felt exactly the same way, too), but with the idea of these stand-alones soon becoming a reality, I've begun to come around on the idea.

I could see a movie set between III and IV starting off with a look at Obi-Wan's exile on Tatooine, protecting Luke from the harsh realities of Tatooine life, Tuskens, and the like (and maybe a certain son of Hett), before culminating in a falling-out scene between Kenobi and Owen. While we're there, I'd love to see Obi-Wan communicating with Qui-Gon and/or Yoda, and maybe learning a little bit more about the secret Jinn uncovered.

While these things would be great, the story would still need a hook, a climax to which everything builds (and which Disney can sell to the public), and I could see it being Obi-Wan learning that Vader survived, and deciding to make one final, desperate attempt to reach Anakin. He would fail, of course, but if handled skillfully, I don't believe that it would have to invalidate anything we've seen in the films, and has the potential to in fact add to what we already know.

Vader: "Obi-Wan once thought as you do." Some folks felt that ROTS failed to deliver on a scene which lives up to that quote. Well, another meeting between the two could potentially rectify something like this.

Obi-Wan is (along with Luke) my favorite character, so I know I'm really hoping to see a film like this become a reality. Ewan is eager to reprise the role. We know that the 19 year exile accounts for the final 1/3 of Kenobi's life (so there's a lot of room for story). Kenobi is a popular, recognizable entity in the franchise. I think it all lines up to become a strong possibility.

9. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    I'd like to see:

Star Wars 2: a sort of non-sequel sequel to the original film featuring an all new cast of rebel/outcast type characters dealing with a smaller scale threat than the Empire and/or Sith threatening the entire galaxy. The film is primarily a pulpy action romp that borders on the ridiculous at points. No Abrams style emotion/sentimentality or Nolan style grit. Pure pulpy fun.

A more "experimental" feeling film. Doesn't even have to be officially released under the Star Wars banner, but I'm sure Lucas had some out there ideas and techniques that he didn't think could work under the style of the six film saga. I'm thinking something like the Mortis arc but bigger and more inexplicable.

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  10. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    "Star Wars 2" to me means a "sequel saga" (as in a sequel to the Saga rather than another part of it).

11. Trebor Sabreon

Sep 15, 2010
    I think there's room for tales set between IV and V, and V and VI (and between the episodes of the PT, too), and having them focusing on completely new characters is a great idea. Making the film a "pulpy romp" would largely play off the original spirit behind Star Wars, and could be a lot of fun.

12. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Ever watch the numerous duels in TCW between Anakin and Dooku and Obi-Wan and Grievous? Totally ruins the comments in the ROTS duel between Anakin and Dooku. Then again Anakin would say something like that regardless. That lessens the significance of the duels to me. In the ROTS novelization Mace and Obi-Wan have a conversation about why Obi-Wan was the best choice. Mace said something to the effect that Obi-Wan was their secret weapon and that Grievous wouldn't know how to counter him. That's out the window.
    So do not show Obi-Wan and Vader between ROTS and ANH.

13. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    Considering the controversy about Anakin and Dooku, I don't think I want to see the controversy that would result from Vader and Obi-Wan. As for Anakin and Dooku, Anakin never says when "the last time we met" is, but as I just said, these things can create total outrages.

14. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Would last week or 3 years ago sound better in that in that regard?

15. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    If you're saying Anakin should have given an amount of time for clarification, then yes. Force Smuggler.

16. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    The Clone Wars lasted 3 years correct? AOTC to ROTS.
    Anakin has fought Dooku practically once a season in TCW and might do so again. What sounds more believable? 3 years to get stronger or a month? I don't know about you but 3 years sounds better than several encounters over that timeframe.

17. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    Except "last met" doesn't sound like a long time ago. And I feel like powers doubling is a bigger deal if it happens over a shorter period of time. Over three years, it would be expected.

18. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    If it was a month since they last met that just boggles my mind. Anakin might be good but that good? A bit ridiculous if you ask me. Also something tells me that Anakin would want to finish him off as he is the leader of the CIS.To keep having duels is dumb. Have Anakin keep training so that he could eventually be good enough to defeat Dooku. Also in the ROTS Anakin and Obi-Wan trick Dooku by starting off with different lightsaber styles and then switching. How could they fool Dooku that way if they fight him several times throughout the war?

19. Trebor Sabreon

Sep 15, 2010
    I hear what you're saying, but nowhere has it been said that it was anywhere near that short of an amount of time. TCW left off in 20 BBY (the 'TCW chronology' thread gives the source for this info), before ever even visiting the Outer Rim Sieges. It was anywhere from months to a year, or more, between the final confrontation between Anakin and Dooku on that show and the Battle of Coruscant (and, as far as I know, there has never been any other meeting between the two depicted during the interim).

Personally, I feel your pain. Anakin's quote in ROTS was obviously originally intended to be in reference to the Battle of First Geonosis, and it took some getting used to, for me, too. That said, things change, and as long as these types of things can be nudged within the limits of logical reasoning, I've learned to keep an open mind about it.

My coming around on the idea of a possible meeting between Obi-Wan and Vader between ROTS and ANH is an example of this. As long as "When I left you, I was but the learner. Now I am the master" still makes sense following any potential meet between the two, I think I could justify it in my mind. The whole "certain point-of-view" thing, again (I wonder if Lucas had any idea just how much play he was going get over the years thanks to those words?). :D

darklordoftech likes this.
  20. Toonimator

Toonimator Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2006
    Obi-Wan says in RETURN OF THE JEDI that Vader is more machine than man... and he DID encounter him in his cyborg suit--in "Star Wars", or ANH, when Obi-Wan became one with the Force.

Before that, Obi-Wan merely had to hear about Vader's actions... and, having lopped off his 3 remaining organic limbs himself and left while Vader was literally burning, Obi-Wan would easily surmise that Vader is now more machine than man...

...but he never said that in "Star Wars"... that was two movies later when Luke's asking if there's still good in him.

And I still think his "when I left you, I was but a learner" still only really works if their last meeting was on Mustafar...

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  21. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    Wouldn't Vader be the learner as long as Palpatine lives?

22. Toonimator

Toonimator Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2006
    learner of the Sith, perhaps, tho I think by that point he'd mastered everything he could on the Sith side of things... to Obi-Wan, tho, he was bragging about being a master. I think he believed he'd mastered anything & everything a Jedi could on top of what he'd learned of the dark side (or perhaps BECAUSE of what he'd learned of the dark side), and thus was better than Obi-Wan. I mean, if you think about it--had he stayed a Jedi, he WOULD have been a Jedi Master by that point.

23. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    I just realised I want to see an Asajj Ventress spin off.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  24. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Would several of them be possible?

The Hellhammer likes this.
  25. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    Well, to be honest she can easily get a Trilogy of her own.
    She's one of the few characters that got a decent development arc and over time I really, really began to like her.

I think she deserves quite a bit of attention.
    Unless the Rebels kill her off, which I hope they won't.