main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Best Spinoff Ideas

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Deputy Rick Grimes, Feb 8, 2013.

1. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    If Rebels kills her off, the sound of me blowing up the Internet will cause enough reverberations to change the wave pattern of the Atlantic Ocean; you'll see higher waves on your shores.

As to a trilogy, I would pay to see it, multiple times, in different formats.

I've always liked her but over time she's gone from being "Cool villainess" to one of the most amazing characters in the franchise, and my appreciation for her has multiplied as much.

The Hellhammer likes this.
  2. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    I don't know how long Rattataki live, but she was relativley young in TCW and being a Force user as well it might be possible to even see an older Ventress in the ST era.
    I wouldn't like her in the Trilogy itself (wouldn't complain, but would prefer all original chars there) but in that timeframe she might yet have a role to play.

3. WatTamborWoo

WatTamborWoo Jedi Master star 3

Jan 22, 2011
    A Ventress spin off is a good idea especially as she has layers to her character that, as was mentioned earlier, was given excellent development and depth.

4. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007

My thoughts exactly.

darklordoftech likes this.
  5. Trebor Sabreon

Trebor Sabreon Former Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 15, 2010
    It took you this long? :D

As for me, Ventress in the ST? No, as you said, a different story for different characters, but in a film(s) of her own? I'd be there! My only question is how to transfer her look to live action. I haven't seen an IRL attempt that's won me over just yet (but that's not to say I don't think it could be done). Bring it on.

6. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I don't care if Ventress is in the ST or not. I just don't want Ahsoka Tano in it.

But reiterating the point...a Ventress film or trilogy, please. You can do this, Disney. You won't be sorry once you see my wallet open.

The Hellhammer and mes520 like this.
  7. White Lightsaber

White Lightsaber Jedi Knight

Jun 25, 2013
    You want to use a deus ex machina to retcon the entire Star Wars saga? With all due respect, this is one of the most appalling ideas for SW I've ever heard.

8. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    * Thread merge *

9. StoneRiver

StoneRiver Force Ghost star 4

Oct 6, 2004
    Sorry it's taken a while, I didn't realise I'd been asked a question.

1. An Obi adventure that is impossible to be viewed as EPIII.5 for example, if Obi were to protect baby Luke and the Lars', then in sequential viewing it could easily sit between III and IV and actually be part of the main story showing a part of Luke's life growing up, even tho it would be classified as an Obi "spin-off". (EPIII would end with baby Luke, the spin-off would show a part of his childhood, then we start EPIV with an introduction to teenage Luke - flows pretty well storywise, no?). A spin off should be exactly that, a stand alone film that has little to no connection to the main saga, IMO.

2. Sorry, I think I put that the wrong way round. He did go on the council, albeit forced, but he wasn't given the rank of master. What was it Mace said to Ani? Something along the lines of "we grant you a place on the council but we do not give you the rank of master"? So, no Ani was never deemed a Jedi Master. Ani was beaten by his teacher (who actually was given the title Master) in RotS, end of. When they meet again what is it Vader says? Something like "When we last met I was but the learner (who got his ass handed to him) but now I am the master (after 20 years of Sith teachings). I'm not trying to say he'd be demoted, you're finding meaning in my words that isn't there.

10. Maizel

Maizel Jedi Youngling

Jun 29, 2013
    An Old Republic era CGI movie.

I wanted one ever since I saw the first E3 trailer for The Old Republic.

11. ScorpionJedi

ScorpionJedi Jedi Master star 3

Jun 19, 2013
    A movie set in the Old Republic era would be awesome and I favoured this concept as well as Legacy era circa 137 ABY for the next main Star Wars movies as opposed to post-ROTJ era.

12. handofluke

handofluke Jedi Padawan

Jun 30, 2013
    Very, very good.

EDIT:
    Here are a few changes I would propose:
    1. Instead of a love interest, Ben could form kind of a fatherly relationship with the young Jedi. Or just a strong bond. His/Her death could somehow make Obi-Wan feel to blame.Would explain why he was so much of a hermit on Tattooine.
    2. Ashoka Tano could be the young Jedi...(Don't kill me)
    3. Vader doesn't necessarily have to be involved. You can already see how much controversy this could create. Could be some other Sithy-badass. OR, the young Jedi could have a fight with Vader while Ben is off somewhere else. Vader could flee before he gets back.

13. MiamiJedi

MiamiJedi Jedi Padawan star 1

Jan 26, 2013
    This is wonderful. This will likely happen. An Episode III.5 type movie would be as huge.
    Ewan is ready!

Trebor Sabreon likes this.
  14. Dasan

Dasan Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 7, 2013
    As a few people have already expressed, I believe new characters may be the best options for the spin-offs. In particular, I think Han Solo and Boba Fett are not the ideal subjects for spin-offs. Both Han Solo and Boba Fett suffer from the same thing that made Anakin a tough character to write in the prequels: we know what is going to happen to them. It takes a lot of the tension out of the story when we know where it is going.

This is actually why Ahsoka Tano is one of the few already established characters I'd enjoy seeing a spin-off film about. She's a cool character, well developed and the finale to The Clone Wars leaves her story open-ended. It could include her survival of Order 66, her being on the run from bounty hunters, and her confrontation with her master. And it could include cameos by Obi-Wan, Boba Fett, Ventress and Darth Vadar without burdening any of them with being the lead.

Of course, the Old Republic era is fertile ground for all sorts of great stories. A straight up adaptation of the first KOTOR is something I would love to see. The timeline is wide open for new characters and events that wouldn't interfere with any already told stories, though, and it almost seems silly not to take advantage of that. I'm glad the rumor about Snyder directing a Star Wars Seven Samurai adaptation was false, but with a good director and set in the Old Republic era, I'd be at the midnight screening!

InterestingLurker likes this.
  15. HankSolo

HankSolo Jedi Master star 3

Dec 3, 2012
    They could even make a trilogy out of it at some point too.

darklordoftech likes this.
  16. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    I would expect some of the backstory to be changed (such as the Sith species and Rakata).

Anyway, all the spin-off possibilities show how The Saga has stuff for everybody.

17. DarthPoppy

DarthPoppy Jedi Master star 4

May 31, 2005
    The Tusken Raiders Trilogy:

Episode I: The Tuskens & Mrs. Skywalker (from the Tusken Point of View)
    Episode II: The Tuskens Attack Tosche Station (And Get the Power Converters Before Luke Can)
    Episode III: Under the Tusken Sun (couldn't resist)

BigAl6ft6 and Immortiss like this.
  18. InterestingLurker

InterestingLurker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2011
    I wouldn't mind seeing a Mara Jade spinoff, come to think of it.

19. StoneRiver

Oct 6, 2004

One could also assume that, since Obi left Darth Vader limbless and scarred but has since heard that Darth Vader is still about, he could just be putting 2 and 2 together.

Toonimator and TheManFromMortis like this.
  20. EHT

Sep 13, 2007

I think that's more accurate. :p

21. Seancousins123

Seancousins123 Jedi Youngling

Jul 20, 2013
    I would like to see a clone wars movie set between 2 and 3 for one reason... We can see Obi-Wan and Anakins friendship and how they really cared for each other! I think this would add a lot more emotion to that final scene in ROTS! The only hints we really get to suggest that they got along and were like brothers was them discussing un-scene events! All we saw was them not trusting each other and talking behind each others back. We don't get to see this great friendship they supposedly had.. Which is a bit disappointing! I personally think they were great friends... But the events we see on screen don't really give me much evidence to back this up!

I would also like to see a movie set between 3-4.. Where we see Darth Vader hunting down the remaining Jedi... Maybe even having one more battle with Obi-Wan? This movie could also show the creation of the brand new galactic empire and the Death Star getting completed!

22. TheManFromMortis

TheManFromMortis Jedi Master star 3

Nov 19, 2012
    _ _ _ _

I like your idea about Ahsoka and Vader meeting in a spin-off. A duel between those two could work very well.

StoneRiver likes this.
  23. TheManFromMortis

TheManFromMortis Jedi Master star 3

Nov 19, 2012
    _ _ _ _

I think it's in the novelization of ROTS (or possibly Dark Lord: The Rise of Darth Vader) that there is a scene where Obi Wan is having a drink in a cantina on Tattooine when he sees a holonet news report that mentions, and shows, Vader during a report. When he realises, Obi Wan nearly falls off his chair in shock. It worked very well in the book.

I take the point some others have made about certain lines of dialogue in the OT not necessarily meaning that Vader and Obi Wan haven't met since the duel on Mustafar, but there's one line spoken by Vader that would, I think, make it difficult to do without some awkward retconning:

''I've been waiting for you, Obi-Wan. We meet again, at last. The circle is now complete. When I left you, I was but the learner; now I am the master.''

What do you think?

24. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    While I think you could dance around Obi-Wan and Vader squaring off again, I wouldn't totally be into the idea. Not totally against it but not something that I really think we need to see again. I am, however, totally up for an Obi-Wan on Tatooine Western-style influenced flick. Also I think there's a potential for Ewan McGreggor and Joel Edgerton, both great actors, to add some character depth to it. Maybe Luke is like "Uncle Ben" to toddler Luke but something happens between Obi-Wan and Owen that makes Owen drive Obi-Wan away. The two actors could really bounce off each other, showing the degeneration of a friendship.

As for that Han Solo spin-off everyone keeps talking about, I'm saying get Ford for the bookened wraparound scenes, some sort of mystery / running thread throughout his life, and get a younger actor to play 20-something Solo throughout the years. But I really think if Han Solo is going to get a movie, Harrsion Ford should at least be IN it, y'know?

Immortiss likes this.
  25. StoneRiver

Oct 6, 2004

I think we think along similar lines regarding this