main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Best Spinoff Ideas

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Deputy Rick Grimes, Feb 8, 2013.

1. Slash78

Slash78 Jedi Master star 3

Jul 30, 2004
    Two words...

Prune Face, PRUNE FACE!

The-Eternal-Hero likes this.
  2. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
  3. Rachel_In_Red

Rachel_In_Red Jedi Master star 3

May 12, 2013
    A movie about Darth Vader in the immediate aftermath of ROTS. This would be the best idea in the history of mankind.

Darth Vader likes this.
  4. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    I would be so down for that

5. Jedirush2112

Jedirush2112 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 10, 2013
    A "The Good, The Bad and the Ugly" type flick with Hando, Ventress and Cad Bane!

[face_dunno]

6. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Pulp Fiction type movie with Mace and Yoda.

Jedirush2112 likes this.
  7. fishtailsam

fishtailsam Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 30, 2003
    Yoda: And, know you what they call a Quarter Pounder with Cheese on Naboo?

Mace: They don't call it a Quarter Pounder with cheese?

Yoda: No man, the metric system they got . wouldn't know they what the duce a Quarter Pounder is.

Mace: Then what do they call it?

Yoda: a Royale with cheese they call it.

Mace: A Royale with cheese. What do they call a Big Mac?

Yoda: Well, a Big Mac's a Big Mac, but 'le Big-Mac' they call it.

Mace: Le Big-Mac. Ha ha ha ha. What do they call a Whopper?

Yoda: I dunno, go into Burger King, I didn't.

Sean Sinclair likes this.
  8. Darth_Corvus

Darth_Corvus Jedi Master star 4

Jun 17, 2010
    I know. All I wanted to say that apparently there are people with completely opposite oppinions. I would have preffered to see Anakin only as the ultimate noble Jedi Knight like how Obi-Wan remembers him(something that is absent from the prequels in my opinion). And after that a spinoff could have shown Anakin as a young little brat for those who want to see him that way but could be potentially ignored by those who don't want to see one of the most iconic fictional villains before his teenage years.

Perhaps the same would be applicable to the new trilogy and the spinoffs.

9. Jedimilvus

Jedimilvus Jedi Youngling

Jun 5, 2013
    Guys, wouldn't it be awesome to finally see a movie about Kyle Katarn?
    Come on, could be awesome stuff!!!

10. Darth_Corvus

Jun 17, 2010
    Would make sense. He is awesome. He stole the death star plans so he is quite relevant to the OT, he made star wars games popular and he is likely to be in the ST. Oh and if we adapt the dark forces novels he might bump into old thrawn as well. Oh and if we want to talk about the origin of the valley of the jedi: darth bane+darth revan. All kinds of awesome. Kyle Katarn would probably be the perfect choise for a spinoff

11. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Without getting into an EU-centric discussion here (there's a thread for that), I think the issue with that is that the average SW fan or at least the average moviegoer would say "Kyle who?". Disney/LFL would probably want more marketable character recognition than that.

12. The Hellhammer

Nov 4, 2012
    That question can be answered in 5 minutes of screen time. It can also be answered in any of the five million interviews, previews, teasers, articles, web diaries and other kinds of promo material that would be there before the movie is released. That goes for any character. If they want to, they can market the ever living crap out of Ice Cream Maker guy and have a trilogy about him.

Going by the logic that they should make spin offs only about characters "the average moviegoer" knows - we'd be seeing movies about same 5 people for the rest of our days.

Any character can easily be introduced and it is absolutely not necessary for anyone to have beforehand knowledge about him. Just take any movie as an example, literally any. You don't go in expecting to know the characters, you are introduced to them and then follow their adventures or misadventures. Even the characters everyone knows about gets some introduction in his first movie these days. Spiderman was introduced twice just these past 10 years and everyone knows who that guy is.

I think that "people would not know who that is" argument really makes no sense at all when speaking of new, stand alone movies.

13. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    I don't disagree with you... I'm just thinking about what marketing execs might think when discussing possible SW movies. But yeah, if they are open to spending some energy before the movie comes out educating people via ads, etc., then it could work.

The Hellhammer likes this.
  14. Placeholder

Placeholder Jedi Master star 4

Jan 30, 2013
    They are going to go with the big name characters. I think that is a given. Maybe after they get a few off the ground and if they do well they will start to branch out. But they are going to want to cast as big a net as possible, and that means guys like Yoda, not obscure characters.

Jedirush2112 and eht13 like this.
  15. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    See I would agree with this but I keep thinking of Bob Iger's statement about the spin-offs being about "characters that are not part of the overall saga." This makes me think that we're all way off on what these spin-offs are going to be about. This is what I would prefer because I think it would be much more interesting to see films about characters we haven't been introduced to yet but I can see why they would want to play it safe (although I think the product usually ends up better when they don't play it safe.) IDK it will be interesting when we start getting more info on them.

Jedirush2112 likes this.
  16. The Hellhammer

Nov 4, 2012
    Also, everyone seems to kind of neglect the idea that they might very well create original characters as the main focus, which has the advantage of giving you a totally clean slate to start with.

17. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    Regarding Iger's statement about the spin-offs being about "characters that are not part of the overall saga"... it's a vague statement that kind of makes me wonder how he thinks "the saga" is defined. He might be taking a more restrictive or narrow view of what that means... like he might be thinking "the Skywalker Saga". But if we're talking about the existing SW Saga, every character from the six existing films is in it. So that would have to mean new, original characters in that case.

18. Darth_Corvus

Jun 17, 2010
    Kyle who? Well you seem to assume that we will not get acquainted with Kyle Katarn in the movies. I think the logical way would be the following:
    Episode VII - Why is Kyle Katarn a big deal?
    Kyle Katarn spinoff - Okay it's cool that Kyle saved the Valley of th Jedi but what is it?(And who is this Thrawn guy on Jerec's ship? - Outbound Flight or other kind of Thrawn spinoff)
    Darth Bane spinoff - The Holocron of Darth Who?
    Darth Revan/Mando Wars/KotOR spinoff

And after that, Episode VIII can come.

I know this is potentially 4 spinoffs for a single movie but hey, I think it would work well.

19. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    I am now officially unexcited about the spinoffs...

Darth Chiznuk and eht13 like this.
  20. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    It's all speculation at this point of course but right now I'm taking his statement of "overall saga" to mean the SW Saga and that would mean completely new characters. As much as I want to see an Obi-Wan spin-off I think original characters would be the best way to go because it gives the writers a lot more freedom to tell whatever story they want. And I honestly think the SW brand is enough to get people in seats without shoving in known characters. I hope at least.

21. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    If Kyle Katarn gets a spin-off and Obi-Wan doesn't... :mad: :p

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  22. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    If Kyle Katarn gets a spin off at all... :mad:

eht13 likes this.
  23. Slash78

Slash78 Jedi Master star 3

Jul 30, 2004
    Look, they are going to give movies to the most recognizable characters first. Now I don't think they'll make a Young Han Solo movie until after Episode IX. So that means Luke, Leia, Han and Chewie are out (especially because 3 of them are main characters). So who does that leave?

Vader
    Yoda
    Obi-Wan
    Droids (really Artoo, 3PO is lower on the list)
    Boba Fett
    Darth Maul (which I'm sure Palpatine would feature heavily so I won't include him in this list)
    Lando
    Qui-Gon Jinn
    Jabba
    Mace Windu
    Wedge Antilles

I can't see the first two spin-offs being about anyone who isn't in the top 5.

24. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    We'll see. I simply don't agree with the "spin offs must be about known characters" argument. How many successful movies come out every year with characters that no one had heard of before? And they don't have the SW brand behind them.

The Hellhammer likes this.
  25. Darth_Corvus

Jun 17, 2010
    Okay and who is unknown enough for you. Apparently you would hate a Kyle Katarn spinoff. You want a spinoff about a character that is unknown even by EU standards? Well okay, but I'd wager you are part of a minority group. I honestly, sincerely wish that the spinoffs satisfy you, but don't get your hopes up?