main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Best spoiler links so far: Reddit User provides/confirms tons of spoilers from TFA

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Darth Nerdling, Dec 15, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth Nerdling

Darth Nerdling Force Ghost star 4

Mar 20, 2013
    A guy on Reddit who claims to have been at the premiere answers tons of questions about TFA on reddit. After I read what he wrote, he seems legit to me. He provides this photo as evidence:

[​IMG]

Here's his overall reaction to the film. It contains spoilers. Be aware. He doesn't pull any punches.

Once the excitement dies down, you start to peel back the layers and realize there aren't any. It's time to kill the death star again again. The movie spends so much time referencing the past, walking you through the Musem of Star Wars that you wind up lost in the musem... with little reason to root for the new leads.
    Rey spends the first 3/4ths of the movie meandering. Finn runs away from the stormtroopers because he is afraid, but he'll literally run towards a firing squadron for Rey... but there's no why. Maybe because she helped him, maybe because he thinks shes hot. You never really believe that relationship. You're just supposed to think they're tight. You wind up caring for Rey by the very end when she accepts her destiny/teaches herself a jedi mind trick out of nowhere. She just sort of starts knowing how to use the force really ****ing well out of nowhere. There are hints to her past but nothing concrete. She was left on Jakku and told to wait for her family (or people that important) to come back for her. By the middle of the movie she realizes through Maz (who is super awkwardly portrayed, I get why JJ had to re-do a bunch of this stuff now) that no one is coming back for her. Luke's lightsaber calls out to Rey at Maz's place from her basement. But Luke Skywalker never says a single word and he was the entire mcguffin for the movie? And Han Solo, the greatest character in cinematic history meets his end after telling Leia he knows his son (Kylo Ren) is all bad. And then randomly decides on a very dark bridge... **** it, I'll ask him to come home with me? Kylo Ren, meanwhile is supposedly conflicted about being bad, but he's pretty seriously down with kicking back and watching the destruction of a Republic solar system.
    He also is super down ****ing up people left and right, but because he SAYS outloud "I'm so conflicted!" we're supposed to buy in. But I didn't, I wanted to but I couldn't. The First Order and the Resistance spend the whole movie ****ing people up from left to right trying to find out where Luke is. Rey finds Luke and that's the movie, head home folks. I get that they're setting up the next movies, but holy ****... that would be like Indy finding the lost ark at the end of the first movie and he smiles at it, rather than doing anything with it that furthers his character. And as soon as the Resistance knows where Luke is... they send Rey? A stranger? Alone with Chewy and BB8? The same Rey who Leia references to Finn as "that girl?" Just weak all around, Force Awakens was a HUGE letdown for me.

If you want to learn all about the spoilers he reveals, you can click on this leak to his question and answer on reddit: https://www.reddit.com/user/barrygibbFan?count=50&after=t1_cxzmkff

For those of you who are unfamiliar with reddit, start at the bottom of the page and then work up. The first post is at the very bottom, and they become more recent as you go up. This page only shows his answers. If you want to know the question, click the word "Context" beneath the post. That will show you the questions that led up to the answer.

Once you get to the top of page, click "previous" to see his even more recent answers. He answers a ton of questions.

Again, if you're afraid his answers might hurt your hype, it's better to avoid this guy. He's very candid. He tells what he remembers but also what he thinks, and some of it is not very positive.

BTW if you discover other good sources for spoilers, please post them on this thread!

Darthmaul208 likes this.
  2. Shadojoker

Shadojoker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 15, 2000
    Can you post about the duel?? How long does it last? (according to the other movies)

3. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    All seems to be confirmed by this as well:

http://pastebin.com/jcHuwZKT

So far what I'm seeing is about what I expected from this film...

4. Danfromumbrella

Danfromumbrella Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 20, 2014
    It's weird. Lots of critics and people are praising it but the few spoiling the movie seem disgruntled.

5. Luke_Skywalker_1

Luke_Skywalker_1 Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 2, 2015
    I'm just really not buying these spoilers. Maybe they'll turn out to be right, and if they do they do. But what have they offered besides the skeleton of the MSW synopsis peppered with some recent edits to include details from the art book and some minor "surprises" that can't really be debunked (such as Ben Solo and who cuts of who's arm). It just seems like any mystery that we've talked about here is explained by "the movie does not explain this". Rey's parents? KOR? Snoke? Luke? And then reading some of the other posters who have "corroborated" these claims or disputed them, they say things like "I didn't ask about Luke" or "he didn't mention Snoke". These are the only characters who have intentionally been hidden from the marketing- why would you not ask about them before you ask about simon pegg?? Just seems ludicrous and fake tbh.

Death_Jar_Jar, Jo Lucas, Jcuk and 2 others like this.
  6. Echo7even

Echo7even Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 22, 2015

The Phantom Menace was loved at first. It wasn't until later that people started picking it apart. BTW, I like TPM, I have no problem with the Prequels at all, but I've been guessing that these movies very well could suffer the same fate because some people just can't be happy. Its not even with star wars, but everywhere you look, everything is negative. Video games, music, what ever.

I can tell from all the spoilers, I'll love the movie. I love all of them anyway.

But, I really would like to know how Lucas' vision was going to be. I do think that Disney and Abrams (whom I'm a big fan of) put this movie together with the fans in mind. I don't think that is necessarily a good thing.

7. Momotaros

Momotaros Jedi Master star 4

Aug 13, 2013
    Those are hollywood types and a strong female character going to get love from them. Other characters be damned.

8. AlyxDinas

AlyxDinas Jedi Knight star 4

Jul 12, 2010

Because fans are grumps, generally speaking. To say nothing of the near religious fervor that people attach to outright impossible expectations.

9. All_Powerful_Jedi

All_Powerful_Jedi Force Ghost star 4

Sep 12, 2003

I don't think it's that weird. If you're getting into the screening premiere night and you're seeing all of this stuff for the first time, and you're a public figure who wants to get invited to more Disney premieres, you're going to gush over it.

I had friends who did a review on Age of Ultron that was so-so and they didn't get invited to the TFA premiere. That's how it goes. There's two more of these Star Wars movies coming down the pipe (and Anthology films) so tow the line.

If you're someone who is a little more objective with a career that isn't on the line, and you have an anonymous Reddit account, you can speak more freely. I think this guy is giving his honest opinion and, knowing JJ's track record, it doesn't surprise me to see a review like this.

I do believe Patton when he says the movie has the best closing shot. Luke with his old saber going into the iris out can't be a letdown.

Darthmaul208 and Darth Nerdling like this.
  10. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002

I agree. Maybe they will turn out to be right but the people at the premiere seem to have a much different experience.

11. All_Powerful_Jedi

Sep 12, 2003
    It's Abrams. It's highly likely that "the movie does not explain this." Especially regarding Snoke. If you follow the template of the Emperor in ESB, you should have expected that we aren't learning really anything about Snoke in TFA.

D'an likes this.
  12. Deus1138

Deus1138 Jedi Padawan star 1

Feb 23, 2015
    The pastebin review comes from an idiot, so I don't care what it says. "Finns skin color is never explained. " what needs to be explained? What a stupid thing to say. Did they explain why Han was white in the OT?

13. Darth_Harmon

Darth_Harmon Jedi Master star 4

Jul 4, 2005

One of the things that I think worked in the prequel's favor is that all the setup leads to the OT. So while TPM might feel very light on substance, just as ANH did, we know working both forward and backwards they are building something bigger. Once influences the other. We may not get much Sidious in TPM, but we know it is all leading to the Emperor. We also knew that Episodes II and III would bring us even closer to the OT, which meant even more gaps would be filled and more OT characters would appear and Prequel actors would begin to resemble their OT selves.

My concern for the Sequel Trilogy is that there is not only a huge gap between 6 and 7, but many events I wish played out on screen will not. Hopefully, though, Luke's Jedi Academy becomes what The Clone Wars was to the OT. I'd love to see it expanded upon in other media, especially as a The Clone Wars-style series. As much as I am enjoying Rebels, that period of time is losing its luster for me and I would much rather see the post-ROTJ and Han, Luke and Leia in their prime depicted in animation.

Darth Nerdling, IG-13 and Echo7even like this.
  14. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    But does it have a better ending than Assassin's Creed/Mass Effect 3?

Darth Raiden, Granek, Drewton and 2 others like this.
  15. Django Fett

Django Fett Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2012
    If this film draws in this type of criticism whole scale it's going to seriously dent Abrams career after the disaster that was Star Trek Into the Darkness, a film for me where he took reinventing the wheel to the extreme and ended up ruining the film.

16. All_Powerful_Jedi

Sep 12, 2003

I think TFA will be looked upon fondly. No worse than the 2009 Star Trek, where it's visually stimulating, but kind of dumb on some levels.

Deliveranze likes this.
  17. Echo7even

Echo7even Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 22, 2015

Great points.
    I think this is ultimately why the Prequels aren't beloved by all.
    People had a long time to form an opinion about how Anakin turned to the Dark Side. There was no way Lucas could please everyone.
    Same for these movies.
    You have people who don't know the EU was wiped out. People that want Luke to be jumping around destroying everyone or other assorted stuff like that.

The OT was just that: ORIGINAL. There was nothing else like it. Anything after that suffers from expectations.

IG-13 likes this.
  18. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001

People will nit-pick just about anything.

The more important complaints seem to be the ones that have been expected since MSW gave the game away months ago.

IG-13 likes this.
  19. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    [deleted - boards crashing]

20. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    ROTJ wasn't original at all. All it was was a rehash of ANH, but that's for a different thread.

Luke02 likes this.
  21. dragonchic

dragonchic Jedi Master star 3

Nov 9, 2015

Agreed, now seems like the perfect time to start introducing animated and/or comic spinoffs to fill in the gaps between ROTJ and TFA. Given the age of the OT3 we were never going to see much of that play out in the ST. Hopefully Disney/Marvel's experience managing a sprawling multi-source canon will help them avoid sending things off the rails like the in EU.

IG-13 likes this.
  22. Young Yoda

Young Yoda Jedi Knight star 1

May 4, 2014
    So Ridley lied ?

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/features/next-gen-2015-new-star-836913

TimeZone likes this.
  23. dalemurphy36

dalemurphy36 Jedi Youngling

Dec 15, 2015
    Regarding the concerns and complaints that too many things in the movie are unexplained, we should definitely be prepared for that reality. JJ Abrams credited Kasdan helping him during the writing process by reassuring and reminding him not to explain everything and to trust the audience. In the interview, he even pointed to a number of things from ANH and ESB that weren't explained in the movie.

Darth Haggai likes this.
  24. HGST

HGST Jedi Knight star 2

Oct 25, 2015
    That is phrased very strangely.

"The main question will be answered."

Where is Luke? Is that the main question?

Daisy has been trolling us too, LOL.

DarthRosie and Drewton like this.
  25. IG-13

IG-13 Jedi Master star 1

Apr 13, 2005
    Yes!!! If I could give you a 1000 likes for this post, I would.

Time to update my 'defend the prequel' armor to 'defend TFA' armor.

Can't people, oh I dunno, relax and enjoy (or not enjoy) a movie? It IS a movie after all.

Echo7even likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.