main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Best Star Wars Game = XWA!!

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by FlareStorm, Aug 29, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FlareStorm

FlareStorm Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 13, 2000
    Yup, X-Wing Alliance.

I'm a 30-year old gamer. I've been around computers since the Commodore 64. The game X-Wing was one of the first Star Wars games that I ever played (Was it the first PC SW game ever? Anyone?) It was great. What made it so cool is that it was immersive.

Maybe other games in the era were more high-tech. Better graphics, sound, whatever. What made X-Wing different was that you used the joystick and the keyboard. And you used A LOT of keyboard keys. Probably ¾ of them. You had to learn to be quick to do some of that stuff.

And the story, it was excellent. This was before most the EU novels, so it followed the original trilogy and let you play the first ever EU scenes.

Tie Fighter followed this, with the same results. By this time, many gamers were into games like Doom and its clones ? a bunch of first person shooters. But Lucasarts had the monopoly on flight sims, and TIE fighter was great.

Skip forward a couple of years. Gaming got big.. First person shooters, and a new genre ? real time strategy games like Age of Empires ? have just come out. A new sort of graphic card comes out every month. But Lucasarts comes out with Alliance, the most sophisticated flight sim to date. Fly the Melinium Falcon! Take on the Death Star II! I was in heaven!

I avoided mentioning X-Wing vs Tie Fighter. I remember when it came out. I was excited, and bought it immediately. Got it home, and found that it was made as a multiplayer game. MP games weren?t my thing (and still aren?t). Alliance had a story, cur-scenes, and replayability. That?s something I don?t see in games today.

Gotta second SFL, sorry

2. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    I've just started playing it now, and it is indeed awesome. Tough without a manual though- I spent a few minutes trying to work out how to reload in my Deep Space Strike mission and was quite irritated when I jumped in just in time to see the convoy jump out :)

KotOR is up there for best Star Wars game also- possibly Outcast, but I haven't played that.

3. hudzu

hudzu Force Ghost star 6

Jun 1, 2003
    I rather enjoyed XWA. It was a totally immersive game. I don't exactly have real flight time to compare it to, but it seemed like it was really happening.

I loved how you could control the aspects of your craft. You could choose where to reinforce your shields, or take them down, to give you more speed for a minute or two.

I thought XWA was a terrific flight sim.

4. SithForceLord

SithForceLord Jedi Master star 6

Jul 2, 2001
  5. Aragorn327

Aragorn327 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2001
    *nod* TIE Fighter is still my favorite game of all time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.