main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

FF:NZ Best Star Wars PC Game

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by DarthGreivous, Sep 5, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthGreivous

DarthGreivous Jedi Youngling

Aug 30, 2004
    What do you guys think is the best SW game out? I dont actually know my self, which is why im asking :p By best, I mean in terms of the star wars feel, gameplay, etc.

2. YouAgain

YouAgain Jedi Master star 5

Dec 20, 2001
    KOTOR or JA

or X wing vs Tie fighter!

3. TheEmperorsProtege

TheEmperorsProtege Jedi Knight star 5

May 22, 2004
    I like KOTOR a lot.
    I used to play Shadows of the Empire a lot when it came out as well as Rogue Squadron.
    Jedi Academy must be pretty awesome given all teh things I've read about it. just played it briefly on a friend's Xbox.

-Mel

4. Darth_Graal

Darth_Graal Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 19, 2001
    x-wing alliance rocks! has some great extra ships and detail upgrades you can download too, we had a few games between kiwis a while back.

JA is cool too, love the double sabers!

5. SithForceLord

SithForceLord Jedi Master star 6

Jul 2, 2001
    I can't say one is better than another, but the ones I have got most enjoyment out of are

Jedi Knight
    X-Wing Alliance
    Force Commander

6. Kitt327

Kitt327 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 23, 2000
    I haven't played any of the recent Star Wars games, but in its day, I really enjoyed Tie Fighter. The plot twists and turns, the intrigue, the treachery :)

I remember failing a mission once, and the commander said 'the only thing left for you now is to pick a random course into hyperspace and flee. If you come back, you'll be executed.'

7. TheEmperorsProtege

May 22, 2004
    I remember failing a mission once, and the commander said 'the only thing left for you now is to pick a random course into hyperspace and flee. If you come back, you'll be executed.

that's exactly why playing for or as the bad guy totally rocks!!!! they have the best lines!!!!! :D

-Mel

P.S. anyone in here totally anxious for battlefront and republic commando????

8. SithForceLord

Jul 2, 2001
    Battlefront does look like it could be good.

9. zacparis

zacparis VIP star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 1, 2003
    KOTOR

I liked it cos you aren't just playing the movies. It's all different yet all familiar. Great soundtrack too.

10. TheEmperorsProtege

May 22, 2004
    Hi Sam! [:D]

I haven't been far with KOTOR but I totally LOVE these Sith unforms! ;)

-Mel

11. AnariaZar-Rel

AnariaZar-Rel Jedi Youngling star 1

May 8, 2004
    I am so addicted to Kotor - I'm in my 4th game. I play it differently each time, so many options. I also play a lot of Jedi Academy - double sabers with level 3 lightning is my favourite :)

12. NZPoe

NZPoe Jedi Master star 4

Nov 21, 2001
    "TIE FIGHTER" hands down flat. The story, the atmosphere, that INCREDIBLE MUSIC, the sheer surprise of HOW MUCH FUN IT IS to play as and root for the bad guys! The thrills of calling a Star Destroyer Reinforcement on some pathetic rebel scum, of being initiated as an Emperor's Hand and doing secret missions within missions for the Dark Side! Those fantastic cut-scenes with Vader, Palpatine and Thrawn! Flying on Vader's Wing! The incredibly smooth control-systems! The scripted missions, the superb dialogue touting the glory of the Empire, the incredibly high engine-frame-rates, the TERRIFYINGLY HUGE SPACE DOGFIGHTS!!

Nothing I've played from Lucasarts can still match the sheer brilliance that was 'Tie Fighter". BEST SW GAME EVER. :D

IMHO of course ;)

13. Kitt327

Dec 23, 2000
    What was your favourite mission in Tie Fighter, NZPoe?

One of my favourites was the one when you are assigned to Harcov's ship and your wingmen turn on you. Then the secret order shows up to save your butt :)

The one where Vader is actually one of your wingmen is great, too ... I love the way the officer warns you that you better not issue any inflight orders to him.

e: another part which comes to mind is that whole series of missions when you're trying to provide security for two planets which have been long embroiled in a civil war. First you have to protect one side from the other, and then vice versa, and then finally your commander informs you that that the civil war is over ... the two warring planets have joined forces in the face of their new common 'enemy' - the Empire.

man, all these memories makes me want to dust off the cd-rom and see if I can get it to run. Unfortunately, it was written for dos .. I think Rebel Assault 2 was probably the first Windows game.

14. TheEmperorsProtege

May 22, 2004
    anyone getting Battlefront???

-Mel

15. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    > man, all these memories makes me want to dust off the cd-rom and see if I can get it to run. Unfortunately, it was written for dos .. I think Rebel Assault 2 was probably the first Windows game. <

The only LucasArts game I can't make work on a modern PC is Shadows of the Empire. If you want help in getting any of your older SW games working under XP, let me know.

16. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    Scratch that, I can get 'Shadows of the Empire' to work on XP - but it won't work on some video cards like the ProSavage.

17. TheEmperorsProtege

May 22, 2004
    yeah thats the problem with XP and newer graphic cards. but isn't there a way to still play it????

-Mel
    *off to ask her friend about it*

18. SithForceLord

Jul 2, 2001
    Well, yea. Seeing as JP got it working. :p

19. Kitt327

Dec 23, 2000
    My computers are still running 98. I'd quite like to upgrade to XP, but I've had other financial priorities. Getting the old games to run on XP sound like it might be a task and a half.

20. TheEmperorsProtege

May 22, 2004
    Seeing as JP got it working

and how exactly did he do that?????
    *hopes for help* [face_praying]

-Mel

21. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    > and how exactly did he do that?????

By ditching the ProSavage graphics card that came with my Compaq and getting a decent GeForce FX 5800 (~$300).

With the old card the enemies etc wouldn't show up, but you could see the backdrops. It's because the game was built for specific (old) 3D cards like the 3dfx and Voodoo.

It would seem that the GeForce cards can understand the graphic instructions for Shadows of the Empire, whereas some - such as the ProSavage - cannot.

What sort of card do you have?

If you don't know, click on the start menu -> run. ype dxdiag into the run box and hit enter. When the box starts up, click on the display tab and let me know what it says in the 'device' area.

22. KEN_BENOKI_IS_BACK

KEN_BENOKI_IS_BACK Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 25, 2004
    Off topic just a wee bit, I was sure that Battlefront was due out today, but I can't seem to find it anywhere... Has anyone here seen or brought it yet?

23. TheEmperorsProtege

May 22, 2004
    I have an ATI Rage 9600 graphic card, but I was jsut asking for a friend.....
    would it work with mine? do you know that?
    cause I loved to play that game as well ;)

-Mel

24. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    I have no idea about SOTE on a that card. Best to borrow it & see.

And no, I didn't see Battlefront (xbox, PS2 or PC) in GameKeeper, Noel Leemings or The Warehouse (Newmarket) today.

GPstore, which is pretty reliable has the release dates as the 24th (PC, PS2) & 30th (Xbox).

If you have the SW DVDs I think there's an Xbox demo of the game on the bonus disc.

25. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    Saw Battlefront (PS2 / PC) in Newmarket Noel Leemings today, just under the $100 mark.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.