Best storyline in an RPG?

Discussion in 'Games' started by Rowland, Jul 28, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Auraveda Jedi Master

star 4
    Pool of Radiance, nice to hear someone mention that. I spent a great many hours playing Pool of Radiance, Curse of the Azure Bonds, and Secret of the Silver Blades on an old Commodore 64.

While I found them enjoyable they more or less made me frustrated with the concept of the randomly occuring battle which is sadly a mainstay of the RPG game. So I'm not too well versed with all of the RPGs out there. I keep hearing about Final Fantasy VII, and how wonderful it is so perhaps I'll give that a try.
  2. Skywalk272 Jedi Master

star 4
    I'd Say FFX follwed by VI

Yet, did anybdy like the Lumina games? Or whatever they are called?

Another one I really enjoid was

Drakan? (memeroy freeze)

Where you are a female who rides around on a dragon and gets off it for dungens?

I never got to finsh it. :(
  3. Twink_Kee Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    "Yet, did anybdy like the Lumina games? Or whatever they are called?"

Are you referring to the orginal Ultima games? As a game, I liked Exodus, but being pretty much non-linear, it was severly lacking in a good story. Quest of the Avatar, though still non-linear, was a bit better.

4. Skywalk272 Jedi Master

star 4
    No, that's not what I was thinking of . .. but I did like those . .

but I was talking about maybe its LUNA?

Something to do with silver moon?

Oh well, I can't remember. Another one I played was a game where you tried to hit on and go on dates with chicks and if you succeded, they became a member of your party and your sword got . . . um . . . bigger, because they fixed it up more for you or something.

Crazy game.
  5. Rowland Jedi Knight

star 1
  6. Skywalk272 Jedi Master

star 4
    Yeah Lunar Star . . . that's the one! Girl with blue hair on he front and all.
  7. Twink_Kee Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Yeah, Lunar. Good story. "Silver Star" (the first one) was better than "Eternal Blue", but neither one had bad stories to them. Like the writers of Lunar said, it was nice to see an RPG that didn't revolve around somebody dying.

Also, I think Dragon Warrior IV has to get an honorable mention.

"Shed ruby teardrops!"
  8. Skywalk272 Jedi Master

star 4
    Dragon Warrior . .. wooohooo!
  9. Gandalf the Grey Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    I'm tempted to be placing my vote for the Baldurs Gate series.

I've put well over 1000 hours into the series over the last 1 1/2 years. Time and again, I've returned to it. The storyline overarches incredibly, and I?ve guided four completely different characters (a Paladin, a Ranger-Cleric, a Sorcerer, and a Swashbuckler) from their humble beginnings in Candlekeep and the Friendly Arm Inn (OMG!!11! He cast Magic Missile! I?m dead!) to the final epic showdown at the Throne of Bhaal in the Abyss (Goddess? Eh. I eat Goddesses for breakfast). It?s a fantastic series, with amazing depth.

But my vote has to go to Planescape: Torment. It has to be played to be understood, but I consider it to be the greatest RPG ever. It?s a game where the main character can literally make it through the entire game without ever getting into a fight himself. There are multiple ways of avoiding fighting the last boss. And the end is perfect.

As a side note, the music of the Baldurs Gate series (particularly Throne of Bhaal), Icewind Dale, and Planescape Torment is all fantastic, far exceeding any other game music around. How much do I love those scores? I prefer the score of Throne of Bhaal to the score of any of the Star Wars movies, and I think that Planescape: Torment?s score has moments where it?s even better.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.