main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Best television series (besides cartoons) and why...

Discussion in 'Archive: Your Jedi Council Community' started by Mastadge, Jan 21, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. IAmTheDarkSide

IAmTheDarkSide Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 9, 2002
  2. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    *Current:
    Buffy the Vampire Slayer & Angel
    Two of the best overlooked & awards-snubbed series. A brilliant mix of comedy, drama, teen & 20-something angst, and horror.

*Past:
    I got two words- Twin Peaks. That show was bizarre, convoluted, subtle & brilliant!

3. Obi Wan Bergkamp

Obi Wan Bergkamp Jedi Master star 3

Oct 19, 1998
    Only Fools & Horses
    Absolutely Fabulous
    Dr Who
    Porridge
    One Foot In the Grave
    Red Dwarf
    Men Behaving badly
    The Blue Planet
    Walking with Dinosaurs
    Morse

British is the best

4. son_of_the_tear

son_of_the_tear Jedi Master star 5

Jun 23, 1999
    << Cosby Show- The greatest comedy of the 90s >>

Um, I think you mean the 80's. That show started in Fall of 1983 and ended in the very early 90's.

Best Show Ever - News Radio

Come on! Phil Hartman, Dave Foley, Andy Dick, Joe Rogan and more!

5. audio_karate

audio_karate Jedi Master star 3

Jul 23, 2001
    The Simpsons
    The Wonder Years
    Malcolm in the Middle
    Frasier
    Quantum Leap
    MacGuyver
    Tour of Duty

Edit: I completely neglected My Superhero.

6. Ric Olie's Hairdresser

Ric Olie's Hairdresser Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 20, 1999
    90210, hands down!

The show was able to weave social issues within a web of action, comedy and drama. The character development over the 10 years made it feel as if we grew with the characters. They made us laugh and made us cry but they never made us want to turn the channel (except for that crappy Christmas episode where the stars narrated it and the bus swerved for no reason).

Long live the "Hill".

7. Ender

Ender Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 12, 1998
    Flipper

8. Genghis12

Genghis12 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 1999
    Hill Street Blues - Best Show Ever.

Miami Vice - For obvious reasons, this cop show had a lasting effect on our culture for several years. Allowed Michael Mann (Heat, Last of the Mohicans, etc.) to develope his skills. To a lesser degree, Crime Story, which IMO was actually the better show - more substance, less flash.

Nightengales - Any network TV show that opens each episode showing hot nurses in their underwear is a contender for the top spot.

The 6 Million Dollar Man - Pure entertainment. What entertainment television is partly all about - especially the earliest "James Bond" serious episodes (as opposed to the later Bigfoot episodes, for example).

9. BobaFrank

BobaFrank Jedi Youngling star 5

Jul 17, 2001
    Son of the Tear

I know it started in the 80s but it ended in the 90s and I wish I could find the poll where they voted(I want to say TV Guide) but they said it was the best comedy of the 90s and I have to agree with them along with Seinfeld too. :)

10. Darth_Iquitous

Darth_Iquitous Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 9, 2001
    Currently...

Malcolm in the Middle and SCRUBS

Both shows are so funny...I like the janitor in SCRUBS...he's so creepy:

"All right, Where'd you put it. I know you took it. I'm watching you. I'm gonna let it eat at you for a while."

11. Mr.Neck or Yarael Poof

Mr.Neck or Yarael Poof Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 19, 2000
    Seinfeld
    Sports Night
    News Radio
    The West Wing
    Undeclared

12. Crimson

Crimson Jedi Master star 4

Jan 18, 2002
    The Family Guy(almost as good as simpsons, still young, very funny)
    Jackass
    The Simpsons
    The O'Rielly Factor(Best news series)
    The Best Damn Sports Show...Period
    Total Request Live, with Carson Daily... [face_plain]

13. DVader316

DVader316 Jedi Knight star 7

Feb 18, 2000
    In no particular order...

The Simpsons
    Law & Order
    ER
    The Sopranos
    Oz
    Seinfeld
    Cheers

Im sure there are many many others....

14. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Bib Fortuna Twi'lek Jedi Youngling star 10

Jul 9, 1999
    Boston Public
    Dark Angel
    Seinfeld
    Friends
    Malcom In The Middle
    Whose Line Is It Anyway?

15. Gandalf the Grey

Gandalf the Grey Jedi Knight star 6

May 14, 2000
    [image=http://www.bbc.co.uk/cult/startrek/images/enterprise.jpg]
    Star Trek: The Next Generation
    This show had a lot of ups and downs, but the ups were great. The cliff-hanger in "The Best of Both Worlds" was one of the greatest moments in television history.

[image=http://netvigator.com/~dbhk/assets/images/REDDWARF-LOGO.jpg]
    Red Dwarf
    It's British. What more is there to say?

[image=http://www.classic-tv.com/shows/images/hogans.gif]
    Hogan's Heroes
    A comedy about life in a concentration camp. One of the funniest shows ever.

16. That_Flashing

That_Flashing Jedi Master star 5

Aug 22, 2000
  17. son_of_the_tear

son_of_the_tear Jedi Master star 5

Jun 23, 1999
    Yeah, but that poll is flawed, asi the show ended in 91.

Seinfled began in the 80's. In 89 in fact. But it was clearly a 90's show.

Now if Cosby ended in 94 or 95, then yes. Because it covered two decades.

I mean, it leaked on to the 90's by 2 years and the worse years of Cosby. It seemed that they ran out of ideas and they started adding new kids and grandkids every other epiosde to give him something to do lol

But I agree, it was a great show. Watch it all the time in re-runs.

18. womberty

womberty Jedi Master star 4

Jan 21, 2002
    I agree with Darth Iquitous - Scrubs is the funniest new show I've seen lately.

I like the wacky doctor. His lines are always hilarious.

19. 2HereKnowsWhen

2HereKnowsWhen Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 6, 2002
    Hey, don't y'all forget The Practice!And the first season of HBO's OZ was flawless. Early Ally McBeal, too.

20. Kier_Nimmion

Kier_Nimmion Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 9, 2000

M*A*S*H: It's actually the first TV I remember and everyone in my house was a huge fan of it. I agree, it never grows old and had characters that so many people remember.

All in the Family: A brilliant statement on the modern era clash of conservatives and liberals.

Law & Order: The ultimate TV fantasy with near flawless cops and brilliant DAs. Been on the air for 11 years and signed for another 5 and spawned 2 spin off series.

Simpsons: Longest lived ANIMATED series and brilliant satire that made fun of everything. Sometimes offensive, often right on the mark with its social commentary.

Star Trek: Three seasons and 76 episodes has kept the series in syndication forever. Often cheesy, but rarely poorly written, Star Trek was cutting edge big budget TV at the time. And after 35 years people still watch it.

Riptide: So who remembers this comedy drama show about 2 dectives Nick Ryder and Cody Allen and a computer geek, Murray Bozzinsky, living on a boat?

Cheers: Like Mash and All in the Family, Cheers gave us a lot of very memorable characters. Very funny even at the end.

Covington Cross: This short lived (13 episode) series set in 12th century England, revolved around a single fath, Sir Thomas Grey and raising 4 kids. A comedy adventure drama that was ahead of its time.

Of them I think I like M*A*S*H the most.

21. Corellia_Sunrise

Corellia_Sunrise Jedi Master star 1

Apr 15, 2001
    Definately M*A*S*H. There are tons of great shows out there but M*A*S*H is hilarious. The characters are fabulous and its interesting to watch how they evolve over time. M*A*S*H is classic.

22. Boutros-Boutros

Boutros-Boutros Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 5, 2001
    News Radio, while Phil Hartman was still alive. The Jon Lovitz episodes aren't bad, but they can't really compare to the early years.

23. Shi-Bandarr

Shi-Bandarr Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 1, 2000
    M.A.S.H.

All in the Family

Seinfeld

CSI

Quantum Leap

In that order.

24. Darth_Ignant

Darth_Ignant Jedi Grand Master star 7

Oct 24, 2001
    AMerican :

Older programmes --
    Comedy: Seinfeld--absolutely fantastic. I still watch it 2 or 3 times a week. Each season had more originality than most shows manage in a full run

Drama: Star Trek TNG -- by far the best STar Trek programme and by year 4 I really cared about the characters

honourable mention to Twin Peaks.

Current programmes --
    Comedy: tie between Sex and the City and Everybody loves Raymond--both have me totally hooked.

Drama: Six Feet Under--absolutely fantastic show that has me on the edge of seat and completely engrossed for the hour it's on. Can't wait until season 2 in March!

honourable mention to Ed.

Special award goes to Batman: The animated Series. Shame on the WB for cancelling the truest to comic-character Batman there has been.

British shows:

Too many to mention, they did form alot of my childhood afterall...but off the top of my head -- Red Dwarf, Blackadder (2,3,4), Harry Enfield and Chums, The Mary Whitehouse Experience, Jeeves and Wooster, Minder, The Paradise Club, Grange Hill, Jackanory (when Rik Mayall was reading), Reeves and Mortimer, Fantasy Football, Chancer, GBH, Jakes Progress, Boys from the Blackstuff, Lipstick on your collar, Only Fools and Horses, The Day Today, and Father Ted.

25. Healer Apprentice Lina

Healer Apprentice Lina Jedi Master star 4

Jun 1, 2000
    Red Dwarf-- some of the best Brit. comedy out there. The casting can't be anymore perfect.

Morse-- I was so sad to see this end. Loved the series and the books. A rare case where both were of equal greatness. Again, PERFECT casting.

Jeeves & Wooster-- I'll be redundant and say perfect casting again!

Monty Python's Flying Circus-- They were insane, they were random, they were brilliant.

Father Ted-- They were insane, they were random, they were brilliant.

(WHOO! Go Britain/Ireland!!)

Oz-- It's like a really GOOD soap opera in terms of storylines but man, it's addictive and the acting is quite awesome.

Six Feet Under-- hilarious show w/darker themes. Also, addictive, HBO knows how to crank 'em out.

The Practice-- I've got loyalties to this show.

Scrubs-- It's like ER on crack. It's great.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.