main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Best thing about Video Games?

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by reginaqingqing, Apr 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. reginaqingqing

reginaqingqing Jedi Youngling

Apr 27, 2010
    Hi,

I am a researcher. I am looking into the reasons why people, such as yourselves, play video games. What is the best thing about video games?

Thank you for your help!

2. TheModFavorite

TheModFavorite Jedi Master star 4

Sep 14, 2007
    i research researchers. for whom are you asking this question, why do you need to know, and what publication will this end up in?

3. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    To crush your enemies. To see them driven before you. And to hear the lamentation of their women.

Sorry, couldn't resist ;)

4. fistofan1

fistofan1 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2009
    Well for me, it depends on what game I am playing. I'm really not into any action games other that Star Wars. I play that because, quite frankly I am a Star Wars geek and I like any form of it I can get.

When I am not geeking out with Star wars I enjoy arcade games. They're fun and a good way to de-stress after a long day of work. Hope this helps!

5. Reynar_Tedros

Reynar_Tedros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 3, 2006
    I just play them because they're fun. :p

6. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    To make all their base are belong to me.

7. FlareStorm

FlareStorm Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 13, 2000
    nude mods

8. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    For a serious answer, I'd say that it depends on the type of game.

Some games' primary focus is the challenge- the satisfaction of overcoming them and achieving (or exceeding) the set goals.

Others tend to be more about a story being told. Others are more about recreating a specific experience (or permitting you to create one yourself). Those experiences, especially when shared with others who have attempted the same feats, is also satisfying.

There's also the mythology element to our society- alongside comic books, our modern myths often come from video game lore. Be they the Triforce and it's balance between wisdom, power & courage, or a family of vampire hunters named Belmont, whose name is almost more associated with vampire hunting more than Helsing. Etc, etc.

9. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    Or, ahem, the lonely fight of one Master Chief Petty Officer SpartanII John-117 against alien zealots or eon-old parasites. Or the desperate struggle of rugged Gears fighting for survival amidst the ruins of their world. Or the sneaky fighting for democacry and the good ol USA of one Sam Fisher. Or the valiant (or less so) actions of one Commander Shepard as he fights to save the galaxy from an ancient evil...

Yeah, sorry, not much of a Nintendo fanboy here. :p

10. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    This. Explain your research, please, and I may answer.

11. MariahJSkywalker

MariahJSkywalker Poopoo Head star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 11, 2005
  12. The_Chim

The_Chim Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 16, 2001
    MariahJSkywalker

13. Aragorn327

Aragorn327 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2001
    The_Chim

14. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Well, I didn't want to ramble off too large a list, so I stuck to some of the founding examples that have been most enduring (I was gonna mention Master Chief, but not having played too much of Halo, I couldn't put it in a proper context...and I don't know if Gears will have as lasting an impact as the other examples, even though it's a valid example currently).

15. The_Chim

The_Chim Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 16, 2001
  16. CT-770492A3

CT-770492A3 Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 27, 2009
    If you're looking for actual data, that's too general of a question - a survey with multiple questions would produce better results. If you're looking to publish the results of the survey, I'm fairly sure you would have to get the questions approved first.

Unless you're using the term "researcher" loosely here with the intent of selecting some responses for non-scientific use in a sidebar of a magazine or something. o_O

Please post more specific information.

17. Vader_vs_Maul

Vader_vs_Maul Jedi Master star 3

Dec 4, 2003
    How do you remember your username with a username like that? [face_laugh] Autologin for you, huh? :p

18. _Spartan-117_

_Spartan-117_ Jedi Master star 4

Aug 5, 2008
    Seriously, is this a spam?

19. Ichor_Razor

Ichor_Razor Jedi Grand Master star 3

Nov 6, 2004
    Personally if I find anything I likes, I enjoys and the way I find this out is by just sitting back in my chair and playing whatever. If I enjoy it, I enjoy it. If I don't, I don't.

Then again, you may just like the ability of gaining rewards or trying to complete the game on 100%

Then, there is the challenge factor, especially when going against real people and not just the computer.

Then again, sometimes there is no specific reason. You just wanna play because you feel like it and that's all.

20. Slowburn

Slowburn Jedi Youngling star 4

Apr 22, 2010
    I like immersing myself in the moment when playing video games and assuming the role of characters that interest me. Simple enough reason for a simple enough question.

21. _Spartan-117_

_Spartan-117_ Jedi Master star 4

Aug 5, 2008
    Video games are an art.The design, the music, the voice acting, the intricate programming... When this comes together in a media that you can interact with, the result is completely surreal.

22. jedi_john_33

jedi_john_33 Jedi Master star 7

Sep 26, 2003
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.