main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Census Best U.S. President since 1960?

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ghost, Apr 2, 2016.

?

Best U.S. President since 1960?

1. John Fitzgerald Kennedy

23.7%
  2. Lyndon Baines Johnson

5.3%
  3. Richard Milhous Nixon

2.6%
  4. Gerald Rudolph Ford

1.3%
  5. James Earl Carter

6.6%
  6. Ronald Wilson Reagan

13.2%
  7. George Herbert Walker Bush

2.6%
  8. William Jefferson Clinton

9.2%
  9. George Walker Bush

2.6%
  10. Barack Hussein Obama

32.9%
  1. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Who is the best U.S. President since 1960, and why?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    Are you going to do other presidential polls as well? I know the poll options are limited to 10. Anyway I picked Obama, though I gave some thought to Johnson (but Vietnam was too big to overlook)

anakinfansince1983 and Ghost like this.
  3. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    Lex Luthor that one time he was president.

Darth Basin and CT-867-5309 like this.
  4. grd4

grd4 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 11, 2013
    John Fitzgerald Kennedy, by a country mile. The only post-FDR president to actively challenge his military, gradually breaking from the Eisenhower-Dulles brinksmanship and rollback policies that poisoned the 50s.

-Refused to supply U.S. air support to Eisenhower and Nixon's Bay of Pigs Cuba invasion. (And subsequently sacked the psychopathic Allen Dulles and Richard Bissell from the CIA.)

-Maneuvered the Berlin Crisis from breaking out into full-out war.

-Refused to invade Laos.

-Stood up to U.S. Steel.

-Gave Bobby license to begin prosecuting the Mafia (a threat Hoover dismissed).

-He and Khrushchev, under unfathomable pressure, defied their hardliners and Strangeloves and prevented World War III. Subsequently forged a relationship with Khrushchev, with the aim of ending the Cold War.

-Delivered the most beautiful speech ever uttered by a post-Lincoln president, the American University address (AKA, The Peace Speech) which called for a paradigmatic change in Cold War policy.

-In his last months, he sought rapprochement with Castro and issued NSAM 263 (the withdrawal of all U.S. forces from Vietnam by '65).

5. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Probably. I was going to do all since World War II in this poll, then was forced to remember there could only be 10 options.

And I agree with your reasoning too.
    -Obama is first.
    -Then Johnson, for getting Civil Rights done, passing Medicare and Medicaid, and anti-poverty programs. Take away points for Vietnam.
    -Then Kennedy, for the Space Race and Peace Corps. Take away points for Cuba.
    -Then Clinton or Carter.
    -Then Ford or Bush I.
    -Then Nixon or Reagan.
    -Last is Bush II.

MrZAP and anakinfansince1983 like this.
  6. Violent Violet Menace

Violent Violet Menace Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 11, 2004
    Bush II was such a disaster that he ranks behind Nixon? Yikes. :p

I'm torn between Kennedy and Obama. On the one hand, his peacenikking with the commies is commendable, and he just might have helped prevent WWIII. On the other, it's easier to be the voice of reason when your adversary has the power to destroy you. Human nature makes it easier to convince people of the right thing to do when that right thing involves avoiding Armageddon. People warm up to avoiding Armageddon. They're funny that way.

Convincing people of the right thing and avoiding war is a much taller order when you are superior, because it's exactly when you are superior that you want to flex. And Obama avoided war with an inferior enemy in the face of gung-ho political adversaries very much keen on flexing once again. He also presented a different face of the US, which helped repair America's image abroad to a lot of the world after the Bush years, which can not be underestimated. I remember the different mood and the hope associated with his presidency.

Regarding the domestic stuff, that's not really for me to judge.

SpecForce Trooper likes this.
  7. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    President Summer D. Reamer

8. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    His Excellency, Ruler of the Free World, Barack Hussein Obama, the Hero of 400 Years

Point Given and dp4m like this.
  9. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    I don't see David Palmer on this list.

Master_Lok and yankee8255 like this.
  10. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001

Of course. Nixon was a crook, but he wasn't a bad president.

One of the many unfortunate legacies of Watergate is that Republicans mostly don't have to contend with his presidency on its broad terms and impact. They just shove it into a category named "Watergate" and ignore the rest of it.

11. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I'm putting Reagan next to last, only behind Nixon, for tripling the national debt (no, I don't care why he did it, no Democrat would be allowed to spend money that way without being called on it), the Iran-Contra scandal, "ketchup and relish are vegetables", ignoring the AIDS crisis, and eliminating guaranteed Stafford loans. When those of us who graduated from high school in the 80s made jokes about selling our younger siblings for tuition, the era starts to look like a Swift novel.

Nixon is last due to the obvious and because of HMOs and for-profit health care. But he does get points for eliminating the draft.

Bush 43 is third to last for going into Iraq instead of going after Bin Laden.

OK, enough negativity, my top 3:

Obama, for health care, the Lily Ledbetter Act, and getting Bin Laden.

LBJ is right behind him due to Medicare and the Civil Rights Act, but I am with those who cannot ignore Vietnam.

Clinton and Carter tied for third.

12. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Generically, for me, I voted Clinton -- but it's like Clinton 1 and Obama 1a -- but I'd probably disagree with the rest of folks after that. Probably some combination of Kennedy and LBJ for 2 and 3, then Nixon / GHWB for 4 and 5, then Reagan, Ford, Carter, GWB

MrZAP and Vespasian like this.
  13. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    After thinking about it some, I'll go like this

1. Obama
    2. Johnson
    3. Clinton
    4. Kennedy
    5. Nixon
    6. Bush Sr.
    7. Carter
    8. Ford
    9. Reagan
    10. Bush Jr

14. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    Obama and Clinton are at the top for me, went with Clinton in the poll since Obama's term isn't up yet. Carter is far from the best president but is probably my favorite person on this list.

CT-867-5309 likes this.
  15. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    Oh come on....he's history's greatest monster!

16. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    10. Ford
    9. Carter
    8. Nixon
    7. Johnson
    6. Bush 43
    5. Reagan
    4. Bush 41
    3..Clinton
    2. Obama
    1. Kennedy

I liked Clinton, and also Bush 41 quite a bit. Jack Kennedy and Barack Obama are on the short list of transformational Presidents, totally in a class of their own.

17. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    That's why he's my favorite!

18. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    As for my reasoning behind Obama:
    -responsibly hastening the end of the Great Recession, and lowering unemployment (not as fast as anyone would like, but he got it done)
    -Healthcare Reform
    -evolving on Gay Marriage, ending DADT, executive orders to better ensure equality
    -a lot more Clean Energy, much higher fuel efficiency standards, stricter air pollution standards (and indirectly, lower gas prices)
    -protecting Internet neutrality
    -executive action on Immigration (and many other progressive executive orders)
    -new and upgraded Infrastructure (though still lots to get done)
    -at least some Student Loan Reform (more people should know about the Income-Based Repayment plan and automatic loan forgiveness)
    -reducing the Deficit in a responsible way
    -Financial Reform, including gaining the power to break up the big banks if they pose a systemic risk again
    -Automobile Industry rebound... and other early reforms and initiatives like Credit Card Reform, Cash for Clunkers, Patent Reform, etc.
    -ending the Bush Tax Cuts for those making over $400,000 a year
    -Lily Ledbetter Act
    -repeal of No Child Left Behind
    -expanding national service, such as through AmeriCorps
    -improving relations with Iran, instead of what was once felt to be another inevitable war
    -opening an embassy in Cuba
    -finding Osama bin Laden
    -ending our involvement in the Iraq quagmire
    -one military action he did get us involved in, in Libya, was handled very responsibly and over relatively soon with minimal costs and zero American casualties... a support role for an international coalition to prevent a genocide, and it was successful
    -strengthening ties in Asia that have led to almost all of China's neighbors siding with us
    -reaching out to Russia in the beginning, but when Putin went renegade placing tough economic sanctions and diplomatically isolating them
    -ending torture
    -ending putting people in indefinite detention without due process
    -securing loose nuclear materials around the world
    -responsibly and effectively handling disasters like Hurricane Sandy (unlike how the previous presidency handled a similar disaster in Katrina)
    -his entire administration being nearly completely scandal-free
    -his overall reasonable, patient, responsible manner of handling being President

Some negatives:
    -I understand his reasoning, but I still think he could have handled Syria better in the beginning
    -Too much repeated outreach to Republicans in the beginning, when they were planning on how to deride his presidency since before he was sworn into office
    -Should have pushed for more progressive policies while the healthcare reform debate was going on, when Democrats still had supermajorities in the House & Senate (like for Immigration, Taxes, Guns, Infrastructure, lifting the cap for Social Security funding, ENDA, etc.)

19. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
  20. grd4

grd4 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 11, 2013
    KnightWriter: How was Nixon not a bad president?

He had Kissinger hijack the Paris peace talks in '68 (promising, via Chennault, both the South and North Vietnamese governments they'd get a better settlement under his administration, and proceeded to renege), prolonged the war for another five years, ended it under terms similar to the '68 agreement, engaged in a barbaric bombing assault on Laos and a secret invasion of Cambodia (so thoroughly destabilizing the latter's society that a psychopath like Pol Pot could conduct his slaughter of over a quarter of the population) and overthrew Salvador Allende's democratic government in favor of the butcher Pinochet.

Nixon was an indefatigable monster, with the blood of at least a million human beings on his hands (and over 20,000 American soldiers).

If there was a just God (which there clearly isn't), he'd have died along with his brothers in childhood.

21. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    Ghost should be banned for spamming and all these threads should be moved to a forum for middle school football coaches who are forced to teach something so they muddle thru the great man version of American history and do a ****** job of it.

I hope that forum exists

22. AstroDroid88

AstroDroid88 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 30, 2016
    Well, since 1960 I'll rate them:

Ronald Reagan
    George W. Bush
    George H. W. Bush
    Richard Nixon
    John F. Kennedy

The worst presidents:
    Barack Obama
    Jimmy Carter
    Bill Clinton

23. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
  24. WriterMan

WriterMan Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2012
    1. Kennedy
    2. Obama
    3. Bush 41
    4. Carter
    5. LBJ
    6. Clinton
    7. Nixon
    8. Reagan
    9. Bush 43

Explanations forthcoming.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

25. duende

duende Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 28, 2006
    it's too early for me to rate barrook so i slipped eisenflower in instead.

reagan
    eisenhower
    kennedy
    clinton
    h.w.
    ford
    carter
    johnson
    nixon
    w

explanations not forthcoming