main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Best US Sports Cities

Discussion in 'Archive: The Arena' started by SLR, Apr 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SLR

SLR Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 20, 2002
    What do you think are the best sports cities in the US? For purposes of this thread, I think there should be some rules.

1) you can't choose your home city (for example, I can't choose Philadelphia). Lets try to come up with a non-biased list.
    2) the city has to have one sports team in each of the four major sports (football, baseball, basketball and hockey). I don't want the best football city or the best baseball city. I want the all around good sports cities that are good for all sports. The ability to support a team in each of the four major sports is an example of this.

Here is my list:

1) Boston: they may come off as obnoxious, but Boston has some of the most loyal and passionate sports fans. They stick behind their teams win or lose. They live or die with their team. Very similar to Philly fans (which would have been number 1 for me if not for rule 1 above).

2) Detroit: same as with Boston. These blue-collar fans in a tough, downtrodden city support their teams through thick and thin. Yeah, they have had success with the Red Wings and Pistons, but they also stand by the Lions, one of the worst franchises in all of sports.

3) New York: as much as I hate New York and New York teams, their fans are just as passionate and knowledgeable as Philly and Boston fans. The only reason they're not higher on my list is because they have two teams in 3 of the major sports. I think sport teams represent the cities and are a vehicle to unite the city to rally behind the local team. This doesn't happen in New York because the city is divided in their loyalties. Giants fans hate the Jets and vice versa. Mets fans despise the Yankees and vice versa.

4) Chicago: would have been higher on the list if they didn't have more than one baseball teams.

5) Minneapolis: They have all 4 major sports teams, but the Wild and Wolves have never really caught on. While a basketball city, the Wolves have just never found a foot hole, other than the few years they were really good with Garnett. Also, while the Stars were really popular, the Wild have just never caught on like the Stars did. It is basically a great football and baseball city. But their fans are really loyal. They still stand behind the Vikings even though they have never won a championship. Their also very loyal to the Twins, who because of the financial environment of MLB are at a competitive disadvantage.

6) Dallas: While historically just a football city, they have recently become a great basketball city as well. Cuban has done a phenomenal job of making the Mavericks one of the better franchises in sports and making Dallas into a basketball city. Surprisingly, Dallas has also supported the Stars. I never thought hockey would last in Dallas. Yes, they were lucky that they inherited a very good team, that won a Stanley Cup in only their 3rd or 4th year in the city. However, they have been able to sustain their following, even though the team hasn't been that great over the past few years. Finally, the Rangers have always had a solid following in the City, even though they have never had any kind of post-season success and very rarely even make the playoffs.

I would also like to give an honorable mention to Cleveland. They would have been number 2 on my list if they had a hockey team. This city lives and dies for their teams that haven't won a title in any sport since 1962. As a Philadelphian I understand their plight (as we went through a similar title drought). They had their beloved Browns stolen only to get a water down expansion team calling themselves the Browns that has been poorly run since day 1. They also had the misfortune of watching the original Browns win a championship in 2000. Hopefully, Holmgren can turn the franchise around. Yet through all this, they stand by their teams. Maybe this will be the year their loyalty is rewarded and Lebron will finally get over the hump.

2. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    Boston was the first city that came to mind as well. I went there a few years ago and in the short time that I was there I quickly noticed what a great sports city it is.

What's wrong with them having two?

3. The Great No One

The Great No One Jedi Grand Master star 8

Jun 4, 2005
    i'd think that'd be a point for them, honestly. they can support two baseball teams? that's pretty ridiculous.

4. RX_Sith

RX_Sith Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 13, 2006
    Here are what I think are the Top 5:

1) Boston: I would have to agree that Boston gets the nod for the top spot due to its current support of its franchises. The Red Sox have Fenway as the top ballpark to go see a game at. The Celtics have recently become a symbol again. The Patriots as long as they have Brady will continue to be a great team, and all that the Bruins need in some good players to get back to making a difference again in hockey.

2) Detroit: Agree that they are the same as Boston. They do support the Lions despite them never having a chance in football. The Pistons are still a top team, just not great like they were before. The Red Wings are also slipping a little in Hockeytown. The Tigers might surprise in the AL Central.

3) New York: The Yankees unfortunately reign supreme in baseball currently. The Mets are a mess though. The Rangers were good in the 90's, not so much now though. The Giants are much more respected then the JETS, but that is starting to maybe change a little.

4) Chicago: Gotta love the support the Cubbies get. Who else could possibly support a team that hasn't won a Series in over 100 years. The White Sox are also slipping some after their Series win. The Black Hawks have up and down years in hockey but still cannot overtake Detroit. The Bulls have never been as good as they were when they had Jordan.

5) Los Angeles: Gonna still rank them here despite not having a football team yet. The Lakers are the class of the city, no doubt thanks to Kobe. The Dodgers draw huge support as well, but now with the big divorce proceedings with the McCourts they are a team that will probably have new ownership again soon. Still, they seem to be able to either win or compete well for the NL West title year in and year out. The Kings surprisingly still draw decently despite this not being a hockey town. The Clippers really are the team that stinks up LA the worst though; they should seriously consider going anywhere else. Again, because the Lakers reign supreme, the Clippers will never stand a chance in LA. Once LA gets a NFL football team again, then they will move up in my list (probably to second).

5. SLR

SLR Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 20, 2002
    See my analysis of New York. For me, one of the important features of sports is how they unite the local area around a team. In cities where there are multiple teams in one sport, it doesn't have this affect. This may be a minor point to some, but to me it is important.

RX_Sith, one of the rules was the city has to have a team in each of the four sports. So, LA does not qualify under the rules.

6. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    A city can be a great sports town without one of the major 4 sports (for example, St. Louis.........one of the best baseball cities).[face_shame_on_you]

2008-2009 L.A. Lakers: World Champions!:cool:

7. Darth McClain

Darth McClain Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2000
    Not to toot my own city, but Pittsburgh is a great football and hockey town, and still has a pretty good baseball following despite how poor the Pirates were run for over a decade.

What are the cities with all four? Boston, New York, Miami, Philadelphia, Atlanta, D.C., Chicago, Dallas, Denver, Phoenix? Did I miss any?

8. Jedi_Johnson

Jedi_Johnson Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 6, 2002
    Well it seems like the Pirates owners are doing everything they can to make people not care. Losing for this long does not help the franchise. Thats a shame because PNC Park is actually pretty nice. Anymore, I only go see the Pirates if they are playing a team I want to see. Plus side is Pirates tickets are dirt cheap!

9. Darth McClain

Feb 5, 2000
    The Pirates have had a different majority owner and GM for the past two to three years, I don't remember how long exactly. They've actually got a plan to develop a good farm system and build up the major league team that way. I think that a lot of people realize that we can't hold this owner and GM for past owner's and GM's terrible mistakes.

10. Jedi_Johnson

Jedi_Johnson Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 6, 2002
    Fair enough, however the Pirates problem is they trade everyone away when they get good. See Jason Bay, Aramis Ramirez (sp?) etc.

11. Darth McClain

Feb 5, 2000
    Aramis Ramirez was a bad deal, probably, but you have to have someone that you can build around. Jason Bay wasn't going to be that guy.

The Twin Cities should be on my list of teams with all four sporting leagues represented.

12. SLR

SLR Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 20, 2002
    I am not denying this, nor did I in my opening post. However, I am looking for overall great sports cities and not just the greatest football or baseball or basketball city. Having and supporting 4 teams in each sport is great evidence of this. Although, LA may deserve a pass because it is only stadium politics and not fan interest that have kept LA from having a team in each sport.

13. Lowbacca_1977

Lowbacca_1977 Chosen One star 7

Jun 28, 2006
    Also, I feel it's worth pointing out that Los Angeles DOES have a professional football team

[image=http://www.bustedplay.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/01/usc.jpg]

14. xblackout

xblackout Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 5, 2008
    That got me so fired up. People rag on us so much, but at least we're dedicated, involved, and emotional fans. Thank you for the recognition, haha.

EDIT: Not to say other fans don't have all of those things and more. My point was more along the lines of "thank you for realizing we're not completely pathetic".

15. Darth McClain

Feb 5, 2000
    As a Pittsburgh fan, I almost feel bad for Cleveland fans. Especially with the Ratbirds leaving and winning a championship. Maybe we should start a discussion for the best three-league cities. [face_thinking]

16. Dark_Lightning

Dark_Lightning Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 20, 2005
    Yeah this doesn't really work. It only glorifies the big cities that have the for major sports, and some of these cities arn't that great.

17. xblackout

Jun 5, 2008
    Almost feel bad? I think that's pretty pitiable. Maybe you'd feel bad if we weren't, you know, Cleveland?

18. Darth McClain

Feb 5, 2000
    Sorry, I know too many Cleveland fans that have an irrational hatred of Pittsburgh sports (especially the Steelers) to give them much sympathy.

19. xblackout

Jun 5, 2008
    I like to think my hatred for the Steelers is a very rational hate.

20. Darth McClain

Feb 5, 2000
    And that's why I don't feel too bad for Cleveland fans.

21. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000

NO.

2008-2009 L.A. Lakers: World Champions!:cool:

22. BaronFel88

BaronFel88 Jedi Knight star 7

Jan 25, 2004
    1. Philadelphia
    2. Boston
    3. Detroit
    4. Washington
    5. Dallas
    6. San Francisco/Oakland/San Jose
    7. Minneapolis-St. Paul

dead last: Atlanta

23. Darth McClain

Feb 5, 2000
    QFT. I really don't know why they can't get a loyal fanbase with a good sized population. It's mind-boggling.

24. Rogue...Jedi

Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2000
    They do pay players like the pros :p

25. BaronFel88

BaronFel88 Jedi Knight star 7

Jan 25, 2004
    The large population is filled with a lot of transplants at GT or the several companies based there. The bigger factor is as a Southern city, college sport -established first- dominates the sports landscape. And yet somehow Southern cities keep getting teams despite struggles across the board.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.